Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-19-2016, 04:59 AM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
2016/2017 Camaro Cold Air Intake Comparison with Dyno Results (CAI/Mishimoto/Stock)

Well it has taken me 100x longer than I would have liked and the test ran into Summer time heat. But overall I was able to put the Cold Air Inductions, Mishimoto and Stock air box to the test.

The video is long, but here are some jump points if you just want the data, but i feel you should at least listen to some of the details I speak too before making your final decision here.

Jump Points:
0:00 - Intro
1:18 - Caveats for the testing
4:38 - 1st Stock Run Details
6:40 - 1st Stock Dyno Run
8:08 - Stock Run Numbers (AC on)
8:18 - Stock Run Recap
9:24 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Details
9:50 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Dyno Run
10:57 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Numbers
11:05 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Recap
11:38 - Mishimoto CAI Details
12:55 - Mishimoto CAI Dyno Run
13:45 - Mishimoto CAI Numbers and Recap
15:06 - 2nd Stock Details (NO AC)
16:29 - 2nd Stock Dyno Run (NO AC)
17:25 - 2nd Stock Numbers and Recap (NO AC)
18:27 - 2nd Cold Air Inductions CAI Details
22:36 - 2nd Cold Air Inductions CAI Dyno Run
23:59 - 2nd Cold Air Inductions CAI Numbers & Recap
26:19 - Next Steps Part #1 (Roto-Fab and AFE Power)
26:44 - More Caveats, Pondering and Discussion
28:02 - MAF Readings Stock vs. Cold Air Inductions vs. Mishimoto
29:39 - Other Product Considerations
31:31 - Final Words & More Caveats?
33:50 - What Product Would

Next up, testing the Roto-fab, AFE Power and GM CAI....

Last edited by Sledgehammer70; 08-31-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
G6SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I knew mishimoto was garbage. That whole company is garbage
G6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Hello Sledgehammer,

We know that many fellow Camaro enthusiasts appreciate the videos that you provide and we are aware that you add a great deal of value and input to the aftermarket world. We would like to share some of our experiences and knowledge pertaining to dyno pulls and the 2016 V8 Camaro in general, we have been working with this particular vehicle longer than any other aftermarket cold air intake manufacturer.

1) It takes a great deal of air in front of this vehicle when doing dyno pulls to simulate real life situations and see the results.

2) Also, we noticed that you did the dyno pulls with the hood open, this does not simulate real life driving conditions as you would not be driving down the road with the hood open. We ask that when you test our system vs. other systems (especially those systems without an air box lid) that you test them all with the hood closed. The systems without a lid will obviously show more airflow with the hood open but this is not real life driving conditions. This is the only way to compare apples to apples.

3) Obviously, as you stated in your video, it was an extremely hot and humid day. The only way to compare (apples to apples) is to run them on the same day and with the hood closed. Note: A cold air intake system with a sealed lid will not benefit from having the hood open while testing. However, a system with no lid will benefit (falsely) from testing with the hood open due to pumping losses. When the hood is closed (real life driving conditions) this will seal the box that has no lid.

We look forward to seeing your future aftermarket cold air intake system comparisons! Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

PS: Keep those videos coming, we enjoy watching your views and insight on the Gen 6 Camaros.

Kyle J. Lesch
Director of Sales & Marketing
Cold Air Inductions, Inc.
810-392-9999 Ext. 903
klesch@coldairinductions.com
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Sledge-Thanks for posting and all the work in the interesting video.

Avalon

Last edited by avalonandl; 08-19-2016 at 09:44 AM.
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
SShit

Drives: Chevy Maro SS
Lethal/Sledge,

I watch damn near all your vids and I appreciate them as well. Looking forward to what other reviews you have.
SShit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Thank you for making these videos Sledge
Old 08-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Thanks for all the efforts, Sledge. After reading the great points from CAI, I am very satisfied with their product and customer service. I have also used Rotofab in the past on our 5th gens and loved them as well.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
I'm going to keep the stock set up, but it sure could use a make over. Maybe someone could design a better looking top cover for it. Thanks for all the work Sledge.

E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
Thanks for all the efforts, Sledge. After reading the great points from CAI, I am very satisfied with their product and customer service. I have also used Rotofab in the past on our 5th gens and loved them as well.
Thank You! We appreciate your support!!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Hello Sledgehammer,

We know that many fellow Camaro enthusiasts appreciate the videos that you provide and we are aware that you add a great deal of value and input to the aftermarket world. We would like to share some of our experiences and knowledge pertaining to dyno pulls and the 2016 V8 Camaro in general, we have been working with this particular vehicle longer than any other aftermarket cold air intake manufacturer.

1) It takes a great deal of air in front of this vehicle when doing dyno pulls to simulate real life situations and see the results.

2) Also, we noticed that you did the dyno pulls with the hood open, this does not simulate real life driving conditions as you would not be driving down the road with the hood open. We ask that when you test our system vs. other systems (especially those systems without an air box lid) that you test them all with the hood closed. The systems without a lid will obviously show more airflow with the hood open but this is not real life driving conditions. This is the only way to compare apples to apples.

3) Obviously, as you stated in your video, it was an extremely hot and humid day. The only way to compare (apples to apples) is to run them on the same day and with the hood closed. Note: A cold air intake system with a sealed lid will not benefit from having the hood open while testing. However, a system with no lid will benefit (falsely) from testing with the hood open due to pumping losses. When the hood is closed (real life driving conditions) this will seal the box that has no lid.

We look forward to seeing your future aftermarket cold air intake system comparisons! Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

PS: Keep those videos coming, we enjoy watching your views and insight on the Gen 6 Camaros.

Kyle J. Lesch
Director of Sales & Marketing
Cold Air Inductions, Inc.
810-392-9999 Ext. 903
klesch@coldairinductions.com
While the hood was open in the videos here. We did do closed hood tests along with our 5th and 6th gear pulls and saw no difference in numbers on the runs we could complete. 6th gear was hitting top speeds.

The heat was a big factor, but going back to my previous car that we tested, the stock numbers were pretty damn close regardless of the day being 102 or 72 degrees like it was last time.

I am dying to test again with your CAI in place on a early morning pull. But from what I can see the gains came with the exhaust and VMax TB for the most part and your product did show a TRQ gain. But nothing near what is advertised. I know many others are also not getting the advertised numbers either.

I am now running with your product as it provided the best gains.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for your time and effort and sharing with the group it is very much appreciated.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
V8Addict

Drives: 2016 2SS
Can't wait to see mishimoto's response to the low numbers and the comments on the size of their intake tube.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I can't see the video @ work...so Cliff Notes........CAI was the best? What were it's gains?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
BadBowtieProductions
Check me out on YouTube!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Hmm, very interesting results. Can't wait to test my CAI intake now. I was told they were 3 weeks from shipping on August 4th, so hopefully it ships next week. I plan on doing a back to back test too.
11.99 @ 117 - STOCK 1/4 mile
410 RWHP / 424 RWTQ - STOCK Dyno
---
YouTube Channel: BadBowtieProductions
BadBowtieProductions is offline   Reply With Quote