The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Cool Scion FR-S sports coupe officially announced and shown

Full details and media @
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2525

[B]Full details and media @
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2525
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Wow, the Scion trim is an improvement over the Toyota. Probably wind up with that being the 'GT86' in the US market.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I think I like the Subaru front with the Scion taillights.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Honda is in trouble. For the longest time they cornered the twenty-something fast and the furious "double clutching non-granny shifting" crowd, inexplicably with the Honda Civic. Now that they have a real sports car within reach - who'd want a Civic SI? I mean really.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question

wait, I am a bit confused is it gonna be a Scion or a Toyota? or are we getting all 3 a Scion, a Toyota, AND a Subaru?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
wait, I am a bit confused is it gonna be a Scion or a Toyota? or are we getting all 3 a Scion, a Toyota, AND a Subaru?
In the states we're getting this branded as the scion frs. The toyota and sabaru versions, which are the exact same car, won't make it state side. The Subaru might I think, and it's got some nicer features. The scion seems to be the base. I'm VERY excited about this car. I feel dirty for being this excited about a *gulp* scion but this thing should be awesome. It's going to be the best drivers car this side of an Elise. Yeah 200 hp doesn't sound like a lot, but when you put it into perspective that this weighs only a few hundred pounds more than a miata it kinda brings it home. And it has a lower center if gravity than a 458. And the perfect 86x86 bore x stroke should let the engine rev like a mofo. All in the $20,000 range!? Sign me up! I've literally gone from thinking 'thats a cool car' to thinking 'I wonder if my hockey gear fits'. I love my camaro, but come spring you can bet I'll be giving one of these a serious look.

Edit - the Subaru will make it to the states. Looks like it will get ~10hp more in us trim and the subaru will have better suspension bits as well as better trim then the scion. It will debut at the das. Sign me up for that one!!!

Last edited by masterofpuppets; 12-01-2011 at 02:58 AM.
masterofpuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
I like it, seems like this will be one fun little car when it comes out.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
den318

Drives: looking
Light weight sports car. I like it a lot. Hope it starts under 23k
den318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
could
not
care
less
Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
could
not
care
less
why even go into this thread then? ignore the ones that dont interest you!
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I see what Toyota is trying to do...but the Scion brand is beyond saving.

Should've been a Toyota like the G8 should've been a Chevrolet.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I see what Toyota is trying to do...but the Scion brand is beyond saving.

Should've been a Toyota like the G8 should've been a Chevrolet.
I don't know Fen, I kind of agree with the Toyota move on this one. The Scion is their "young" division. Toyota's performance peak days was in the 90's (Supra, MR2, Celica, etc..). Now Toyota is like a Japanese Buick. Known for being reliable and your parents driving a Camry. The FR-S would be the ONLY Scion I would buy. But this also leaves room for if Toyota wants to take and do a variation with more power, amenities, etc. and sell it under the Toyota name for a slightly higher price than the Scion.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
I don't know Fen, I kind of agree with the Toyota move on this one. The Scion is their "young" division. Toyota's performance peak days was in the 90's (Supra, MR2, Celica, etc..). Now Toyota is like a Japanese Buick. Known for being reliable and your parents driving a Camry. The FR-S would be the ONLY Scion I would buy. But this also leaves room for if Toyota wants to take and do a variation with more power, amenities, etc. and sell it under the Toyota name for a slightly higher price than the Scion.
Scion is supposed to be their "young" division but they are epically failing at doing so. Not to mention that sales figures for the Scion brand have been in the toilet for months now.

But hell, if Toyota wants to have their own GMT-360 fiasco, they can go right ahead. They're pretty much already following in GM's footsteps anyways.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Scion is supposed to be their "young" division but they are epically failing at doing so. Not to mention that sales figures for the Scion brand have been in the toilet for months now.

But hell, if Toyota wants to have their own GMT-360 fiasco, they can go right ahead. They're pretty much already following in GM's footsteps anyways.
Fen I agree with you on most of what you say. The Scion's sales figures are down because their line up is crap. This FR-S is NEEDED in their lineup! Their inaugural lineup was superior to their current:

The previous xA

Current xD (xA successor)

Previous Scion xB

Current xB

Previous Tc

Current Tc

And yes you were correct about the sales figures.

Quote:
The median age of a Toyota consumer was, as of February 2007, 54 years old. Comparatively, Scion's average buyer age is the lowest in the industry, at 39 years old.

Scion's first two cars (the xA and xB), while unusual for American roads, have been well received among consumers not interested in standard entry-level vehicles. The tC was also well received with brisk sales. The best selling year of the marque since introduction is 2006 with 173,000 vehicles sold. But sales slid since then to 57,961 vehicles in 2009.
Seems like they have a bit of problem with identity
Quote:
The Scion xB's marketing is aimed at Generation Y, Americans born between 1980 and 1994. This group of car buyers is extremely important to manufacturers due to their large numbers (78 million) and their differing perceptions and demands of the vehicles they drive. Despite the Scion xB's target market, the average age of an xB buyer is 46.[
Scion reminds me a lot of Saturn. Saturn was planned as an "import fighter" that made small, compact 4 cylinder cars. Later on they lost sight of that with the inclusion of Mid-size car, SUV, Minvan, etc. So far, Scion is sticking to the script and keeping small 4 cylinder cars. I don't know if that will keep it afloat in the long run, but I applaud them for sticking to their guns.

Worse case scenario, if Scion goes under, you know Toyota will snatch this out of that lineup and quickly rebadge it as a Toyota (something I wish GM would have done with either of the Kappa twins and the G8).