Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

View Poll Results: What brand helmet do you use for racing?
Simpson 10 27.03%
Bell 6 16.22%
Racequip 0 0%
G-Force 8 21.62%
Impact 0 0%
HJC 5 13.51%
Other 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
What brand helmet do you have, and what are your thoughts on it?

After my trip to the track last weekend, I've been told my 22 year old Simpson Voyager helmet won't pass tech with it's SA90 rating. I honestly had no clue how old it was, or that it even mattered since no one had ever inspected it before.

I know there have been several threads previously about people asking about helmets, so I thought this might be a good idea to see what the track going C5 members use most, and what they think about the product they have... Hopefully this will also serve as a good info thread for people such as myself to base a decision on a new helmet purchase.

The Simpson Voyager I have has always been a great helmet. It was actually my fathers when he used to race door slammers, and a rail. I outgrew my old super voyager and kind of took over his old Voyager. I think it's Simpson's "entry level" economically priced helmet, but I've never had an issue with it... Nice and comfortable.

My big complaint is that it's always smashed into the roof because I have the sunroof option in my car so I've always got my head tilted to the side when racing... Has anyone (that's tall, and has a sunroof) come up with some magical helmet that's a little thinner than doesn't interfere with the roof?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I have a Simpson and a G-Force there both good.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
TravisTrout
Hot roddin' Steamfitter!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 CGM
I have a Simpson, sunroof, and I'm 6'-1". I usually have to lay the seat back a little more than usual and slouch just a bit to keep from hitting my head. Admittedly it's not totally comfortable but I guess that's the price you pay for the awesome chopped top look on our cars.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
I ordered mine from Helmetcity.com. Nice price, fast delivery and plenty to choose from for auto racing.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I got a cheap one off of Amazon, paid $50 for it. Ill have to dig it out and see what brand it was. its Snell2005 so it passes inspection atleast. Id like to get me a better one but its ok for now, its not a bad helmet and good price too.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I have a Simpson X Bandit, with the built in headsock and neck curtain, and I love it... I walked into the Simpson plant near me builders shop and had it custom fitted... They built it and had it ready to go the next day... Amazing fit and comfort...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Classic Voyager SA2010 Racing Helmet. Got it just over a year ago, full-face with decent-size eyeport and adequate ventilation.

There were more requirements added in order to pass the SA2010 that weren't in place before, including some sort of face shield penetration test. There's an article in the June 2013 issue of Circle Track magazine about helmets and HANS devices that's worth a read if you can find the magazine.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Just picked up a new HJC CL-16 for her yeah I know a motorcycle helmet but its about the cheapest full face snell 2010 we could find about $140ish, im still running a older snell 2005 HJC CL-SP free from a friend
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Rocking a HJC here with a red mohawk....funny no one asks to borrow it????
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
I went with a Zamp helmet from saferacer.com. Meets all the current specs. Not high end or fancy but gets the job done. Had to exchange mine since they run a bit small, but no hassles from the company.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Classic Voyager SA2010 Racing Helmet. Got it just over a year ago, full-face with decent-size eyeport and adequate ventilation.

There were more requirements added in order to pass the SA2010 that weren't in place before, including some sort of face shield penetration test. There's an article in the June 2013 issue of Circle Track magazine about helmets and HANS devices that's worth a read if you can find the magazine.

Norm
I have a REALLY classic voyager, it's the one the techs almost didn't let me race with, manufactured in 91... I also have a Super Voyager, which it looks like they dont even make anymore, but it's probably still only SA95 and too old :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
I went with a Zamp helmet from saferacer.com. Meets all the current specs. Not high end or fancy but gets the job done. Had to exchange mine since they run a bit small, but no hassles from the company.
Thanks for the info, I've been shopping between helmetcity.com and saferacer.com, good to know at least one of them doesn't have issues with returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I have a Simpson X Bandit, with the built in headsock and neck curtain, and I love it... I walked into the Simpson plant near me builders shop and had it custom fitted... They built it and had it ready to go the next day... Amazing fit and comfort...
I'm jealous :P I've been eyeballing the regular Bandit, but the Bandit X looks pretty sexy!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Orange Pulp Fiction

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2ss
simpson devil ray, very light
Orange Pulp Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
In the interest of full disclosure, i normally run my dirt bike helmet. No issues with the Zamp helmet, but I'm just more comfortable with a helmet that I wear a lot and the black/orange bike helmet just looks better with my car. Just bought a car helmet in case I beat up my dirt bike helmet close to a track day. Plus, I never know when the dirt bike helmet will need to be replaced. For example, my dirt bike helmet took a rough skid across the gravel last weekend. No bad injuries, but it's due to be replaced and probably wouldn't pass tech. Zamp is still there ready to go! Plus you never know if they will get picky about street vs. motorcycle helmets.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Just got my g-force today but I think I am going to return it. It just isn't very comfortable. My dirt bike helmets are far better than this one. Need to find a good one myself.