The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Markets schmarkets. If that had any bearing they wouldn't announce the end of ICE vehicles, and subsidizing EVs.

Sure the oil industry will be around, sure, but that doesn't make gasoline affordable or a factor in the "market" in the future.

The market is rigged to promote EV over ICE. Whether its ending production, taxation, penalties, regulations, etc., whatever it takes to end ICE cars will be done. We are given lip-service to go ahead and keep our ICE cars after they are no longer made. But you won't be able to afford driving it.

Ending fossil fuel usage is the goal, and no matter what any market situation may be present won't matter.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #16
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
There is NOTHING to worry about in the USA with V8s, as long as DODGE
is still in business! While everyone else is trying to go EV and gas saving,
dodge is putting the Hellcat engine option in any car they can fit it in.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Markets schmarkets. If that had any bearing they wouldn't announce the end of ICE vehicles, and subsidizing EVs.

Sure the oil industry will be around, sure, but that doesn't make gasoline affordable or a factor in the "market" in the future.

The market is rigged to promote EV over ICE. Whether its ending production, taxation, penalties, regulations, etc., whatever it takes to end ICE cars will be done. We are given lip-service to go ahead and keep our ICE cars after they are no longer made. But you won't be able to afford driving it.

Ending fossil fuel usage is the goal, and no matter what any market situation may be present won't matter.
SPOT ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin
There is NOTHING to worry about in the USA with V8s, as long as DODGE
is still in business! While everyone else is trying to go EV and gas saving,
dodge is putting the Hellcat engine option in any car they can fit it in.
Unfortunately even this is not true. They've admitted what we are seeing now with the Hellcat will disappear. A last hurrah if you will.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #18
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Markets schmarkets.

Well, that's kind of the entire foundation of our economy. Just saying.

I get that laws are being passed and pressure being applied to manufacturers to reduce fuel emissions and increase mpg, but do you honestly think that a manufacturer would drastically reduce a very profitable line of engines in high demand just because a few congressman are on an eco trip?

As others have posted, it's either the fact that we're a dying breed (we're misreading the market), or major car manufacturers are willing to take a cut in their profits in order to push an idea. From what I know about business, I'm guessing it's the first one. Bear in mind that the cost of repair on newer and electric vehicles is sky high, as well. They're pocketing a sizable portion of that, too.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post

I get that laws are being passed and pressure being applied to manufacturers to reduce fuel emissions and increase mpg, but do you honestly think that a manufacturer would drastically reduce a very profitable line of engines in high demand just because a few congressman are on an eco trip?

As others have posted, it's either the fact that we're a dying breed (we're misreading the market), or major car manufacturers are willing to take a cut in their profits in order to push an idea. From what I know about business, I'm guessing it's the first one. Bear in mind that the cost of repair on newer and electric vehicles is sky high, as well. They're pocketing a sizable portion of that, too.
I couldn't find anything to support a future for ICE. See for yourself.

https://www.gm.com/ I think the correct answer is what you said in bold. ICE has no place in the word-salad of climate-equity.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #20
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:

We're a dying breed, for sure. Manipulation of the market is also true to push folks into EVs and force automakers to produce them. However, once they recoup the initial investment, these vehicles will be cheaper to produce and maintain. There's something in this for automakers. For now, they'll continue to produce high profit trucks and SUVs to fund the effort, let all else fall to the wayside (Camaro, ehem), while the gov subsidizes it. It's not like GM is being shy about their intentions.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
A lot of other things I thought were going to be around for a while are on the block after only 18 months. Anyone who was watching saw an agenda getting legs long ago but somehow it got warp-speed tracked.

The V8 will go the way of dining of dining on the Champs-Élysées in Paris without a Green Pass, soon!
Old 09-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #22
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Let’s look at the Mercedes statement and weigh it against other statements…TLDR - GM will probably have V8 engines longer than Mercedes.

Mercedes says:
"I think there will be a future, yes," Schiemer said. "I think for the next ten years we will see the V-8s, for sure.“

So that takes us out to 2031 for Mercedes V8 engines, right?

GM will introduce a new 5.5L DOHC with Flat Plane Crank for 2022 and will also introduce twin turbo variants of it with and without hybrid system. The boosted versions are likely to appear in 2023 or 2024. GM also just recently introduced a new 6.6L V8 for light heavy duty trucks and medium duty trucks. GM is also in the process of upgrading their current Gen V V8 engines to a Gen VI.

GM says that Cadillac will be all electric by 2030. Expect Escalade (6.2L V8) to be the last vehicle in Cadillac’s portfolio to convert, because they generate 5-digit profit per vehicle.

The rest of GM is to be Zero Emissions (electric) by 2035. That means Corvette, with their 5.5L and 5.5TT will likely run through 2034. Longer than 2031 as Mercedes suggests. Chevy and GMC trucks (also 5-digit profit) will also be among the last to convert and most of those will be powered by 5.3L and 6.2L V8. Assuming that Gen VI carries the same displacements as Gen V. So that’s also beyond 2031.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #23
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Let’s look at the Mercedes statement and weigh it against other statements…TLDR - GM will probably have V8 engines longer than Mercedes.

Mercedes says:
"I think there will be a future, yes," Schiemer said. "I think for the next ten years we will see the V-8s, for sure.“

So that takes us out to 2031 for Mercedes V8 engines, right?

GM will introduce a new 5.5L DOHC with Flat Plane Crank for 2022 and will also introduce twin turbo variants of it with and without hybrid system. The boosted versions are likely to appear in 2023 or 2024. GM also just recently introduced a new 6.6L V8 for light heavy duty trucks and medium duty trucks. GM is also in the process of upgrading their current Gen V V8 engines to a Gen VI.

GM says that Cadillac will be all electric by 2030. Expect Escalade (6.2L V8) to be the last vehicle in Cadillac’s portfolio to convert, because they generate 5-digit profit per vehicle.

The rest of GM is to be Zero Emissions (electric) by 2035. That means Corvette, with their 5.5L and 5.5TT will likely run through 2034. Longer than 2031 as Mercedes suggests. Chevy and GMC trucks (also 5-digit profit) will also be among the last to convert and most of those will be powered by 5.3L and 6.2L V8. Assuming that Gen VI carries the same displacements as Gen V. So that’s also beyond 2031.
I’m glad my little post brought some of the big guns out! I probably was naive to think that all the while promoting the ‘shiny new thing’ EV, there wouldn’t be a contingent of evil, Michigan scientists working on a secret ICE, Frankenbustion block in the bowels of the basement!
Old 09-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #24
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I’m glad my little post brought some of the big guns out! I probably was naive to think that all the while promoting the ‘shiny new thing’ EV, there wouldn’t be a contingent of evil, Michigan scientists working on a secret ICE, Frankenbustion block in the bowels of the basement!
True dat, but don’t get giddy. GM is serious about their passenger vehicle fleet being zero emissions by 2035. They did not say anything about heavy duty or medium duty. Those will also eventually convert to zero emissions, but likely after 2035 and it might possibly involve fuel cell for commercial vehicle applications. Corvette and Mustang will likely be the last domestic gasoline powered cars.. Commercial trucks might hang on until 2040-ish.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:58 PM   #25
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
I say that is what's happening. Or, something close to it.
Why does the new Trailblazer (2021) come with just 1 engine (a pip-squeak 3-cylinder)? [Yes, there is another -- but it's for the AWD version. Anyway, it's .1 L bigger. One tenth of a liter!] I'd seriously consider it if it had a 2.4 L 4-banger.
It looks like most car mfgrs. are putting in the smallest engine that could possible more the vehicle (and not giving any options). They're bowing to the PC/woke culture.
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote