Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
WspoonSS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Exhaust help:Shorties w/HF cats or LT w/HF Cats

Good evening everyone! I’m the owner of a new to me 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 and I am looking at exhaust mods. I bought the car used from a dealer and it already has what looks to be an SLP X pipe crossover kit on it. I would like to get some LT headers and HF cats to cut down on noise, but I live in CA so I’ll need to remove them come smog time. My only other option is Shorties W/HF cats. My question is, will both of these options mount up at roughly the same spot and connect to the SLP crossover pipe. I have stock manifolds and cats right now, so I’d need a totally reversible setup that bolts right back up to what I am currently using. Having shorties and just swapping back in the stock cats is much easier than swapping the whole header especially since it won’t cause any problems when popping the hood for any cops. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is the x-pipe/catback system I believe I have:

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...pipe-30223.htm

Last edited by WspoonSS; 03-26-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added stuff
WspoonSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
If I used a shorty header, I would not bother with a hi-flow cat. Stock cats are not that restrictive to notice a power difference if you are only using shorty headers. I'm not even sure how much they help on a LTs. I think they are more for appearance and passing inspections in states less strict than CA that still require an inspection. Living in Florida, none of this is a problem. I sold my cats to the recycler for $80.

Shorties would be maintenance free as long as they are CARB approved and you could plan on a few hours a year swapping the LTs and cats (or catless tubes), plus $20 in gaskets and you might booger up an O2 sensor here or there. However, the power gain is significantly better with long tubes.

As to the idea of cutting down on noise, LTs are louder, not quieter.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
If I used a shorty header, I would not bother with a hi-flow cat. Stock cats are not that restrictive to notice a power difference if you are only using shorty headers. I'm not even sure how much they help on a LTs. I think they are more for appearance and passing inspections in states less strict than CA that still require an inspection. Living in Florida, none of this is a problem. I sold my cats to the recycler for $80.

Shorties would be maintenance free as long as they are CARB approved and you could plan on a few hours a year swapping the LTs and cats (or catless tubes), plus $20 in gaskets and you might booger up an O2 sensor here or there. However, the power gain is significantly better with long tubes.

As to the idea of cutting down on noise, LTs are louder, not quieter.
Agreed. I have shortys. Get jba or other brand that are smog compliant and come
With a carb sticker. Hiflow cats aren’t going to pass Kali smog checks and will have to be swapped out to stock. As to fitting to the slp part I don’t know. Shortys and hiflows will fit to aftermarket catback or stock exhuast. The combo will definitely be more quiet then LTs. As to power, I noticed a slight drop when I put back the stock cats. JDP tested my hiflows to se what they got on there own.
They made 10 lb ft of tq from 2200 rpm through 4800. Peak hp was 15 at 5600, but dropped from there, making about 6 hp at 6200. At stock 5900 rpm peak they made 11-12. So they do make power. The shortys at peak make 8-9.
With LTs without a tune make around 28-30, so difference is only about 10 hp and tq . Note if you go hiflow you can and probably will get a cel light. I read that getting a o2straight extenders, and a angled o2 simulator coneected together will keep that from happening.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
If I used a shorty header, I would not bother with a hi-flow cat. Stock cats are not that restrictive to notice a power difference if you are only using shorty headers.
I think you reversed the recommendation. The factory high flow cats are the biggest restrictive piece in the entire factory exhaust system.

OP, welcome to the forums and congrats on your new to you ride. Unfortunately for modifying your new ride you are in the most restrictive state in the union. Unless you're buying long tube headers second hand you won't get a manufacturer to send them to you, from what I understand. Many have tried, but they are illegal in CA. If you can get away with high flow cats in CA I'd do them first or at all over shorty headers. If you can't get away with them then shorty headers are said to have some gains, but it's very marginal. They get maybe as much gain as a cold air intake, if that.

As for cutting down noise, put the factory cats back in with stock manifolds or shorty headers and that should get you legal or close to legal. Long tube headers with or without high flow cats and high flow cats by themselves will make the car louder than factory. Shorty headers might add some volume, but not a crazy amount when paired with factory cats.

As others have said, make sure you get CARB compliant shortys if you get them and whatever you do, if it's not 100% CA compliant, plan on a day/afternoon to swap them over and another day/afternoon to swap them back.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
WspoonSS

When I said to cut down noise, I meant compared to the off road pipe option. I should have worded that better. My plan is to either get LT w/HF Cats and swap out both come smog time, or get shorties wHF Cats and swap out the cats during smog time. Most cops will overlook the cats, but not the LTs. I just want to be to be able to swap back to my factory/SLP exhaust come smog time. The SLP x pipe system looks to be a catback/x pipe combo that mounts at the same spot as the factory catback, but this is my first Camaro
Old 03-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WspoonSS View Post
When I said to cut down noise, I meant compared to the off road pipe option. I should have worded that better. My plan is to either get LT w/HF Cats and swap out both come smog time, or get shorties wHF Cats and swap out the cats during smog time. Most cops will overlook the cats, but not the LTs. I just want to be to be able to swap back to my factory/SLP exhaust come smog time. The SLP x pipe system looks to be a catback/x pipe combo that mounts at the same spot as the factory catback, but this is my first Camaro
I was pulled over in PV once. Looked at the shortys, tried to look down at the hiflows, and saw them and the carb sticker I pointed out for the shortys.Didn’t say anything. Did mention the cai that wasn’t legal. I was lucky or was no big deal. To him anyway. Now a off-road pipe no way
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
High flow cats will cut out some rasp in the exhaust compared to catless pipes, but it will still be loud or louder than stock.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
JRBumfuddle

Drives: '12 SS Silver Ice Metallic
I have JBA shorties with a CARB sticker. Definitely felt more torque compared to stock manifolds. Then added JBA HF cats, and noticed another bump in torque, and louder exhaust. I had RDP tunes for both stages. Have to smog this summer, so will change cats back to stock, which is easy.
JRBumfuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:24 AM   #9
WspoonSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBumfuddle View Post
I have JBA shorties with a CARB sticker. Definitely felt more torque compared to stock manifolds. Then added JBA HF cats, and noticed another bump in torque, and louder exhaust. I had RDP tunes for both stages. Have to smog this summer, so will change cats back to stock, which is easy.
Perfect. I think I’ll go the same route to save me a few headaches. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I'd make it the least amount of trouble. Proper shorties and cats. But if the majority says hi flow will not pass....how about "gutted" stock cats? Still would not be much louder than stock. Get a proper dyno tune and have fun.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #11
JRBumfuddle

Drives: '12 SS Silver Ice Metallic
you're welcome sir
JRBumfuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
WspoonSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I'd make it the least amount of trouble. Proper shorties and cats. But if the majority says hi flow will not pass....how about "gutted" stock cats? Still would not be much louder than stock. Get a proper dyno tune and have fun.
The cats are so easy to replace on this that it won’t take much time at all to swap come smog time. Full headers would take a considerable amount of time in comparison. I can keep the shorties on for the smog
Old 04-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #13
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Now this is just me. I wouldn't put all this money,time,work just to have to worry and change every year and worry about the cops giving me a ticket.
I know this is not everyone but I would just but a ZL1 and not have to worry about the friggin CA. law.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Shorty headers are not really worth anything for power just a sound increase definitely go with longtubes for sure if you are looking for both and the HF cats dont really change much either but if you plan on making alot of power down the line they can overheat and cause issues depending on the end power goal of the car
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote