Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Bose factory stereo

Have a new 2022 ZL1. Coming from a 2019 Corvette GS which I thought had a really good Bose system. It was loud and really thumped out the bass. Just do not think the Camaro Bose set up is all that good. Not very loud and just no bass. Mostly listen to rock/metal. My 2021 Silverado Trail Boss also has a Bose set up and it's much better sounding than the ZL1. Anyone else have an opinion or thoughts?
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
This forum is riddled with them. I personally replaced my entire system. They are not easy to interface with.

There is 1 interface (that I'm aware of) that properly interfaces with the AVB system of the 2019+ Bose system. https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT95...m.html/gallery

I have one and it's great, when it works. The company also seems barely there if at all since Covid hit. I think they all but have folded. The optical doesn't work and randomly it won't power up when you turn the car on. I'm forced to use RCA which has noise and run a switch to the drivers seat so you could cut power to it on demand. They promised they had a 2.0 coming out but "chip shortages". Then they went silent.

You can use summing interfaces like the AudioControl DM-608. I used one of these for the first year I had my 2019 and it was passible but Bose does all sorts of eq changes with volume level (and roof position). It has a point in volume where bass starts rolling off as you turn it up louder. You have to really mess with stuff to get a consistent bass volume. I never was happy. I still use it as my processor post NavTV and enjoy the control.

Many seem to be happy with a simple LC2i and a powered sub to fill in the bottom end.

It really is sad that they put such a weak system in a nice car. I blame it on GM as they give Bose a stupid low price per car budget so they cut major corners. A little more power and better woofers in the doors and it would be fine. My Hybrid Audio 6x9's by themselves do enough bass with the top up to be reasonable for rock.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #3
DarkKnyte

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroVert View Post
The company also seems barely there if at all since Covid hit. I think they all but have folded. The optical doesn't work and randomly it won't power up when you turn the car on. I'm forced to use RCA which has noise and run a switch to the drivers seat so you could cut power to it on demand. They promised they had a 2.0 coming out but "chip shortages". Then they went silent.
I have been waiting for the better part of a year for them to start selling them again and gave up. The company has been lying about how far out the new ones are for months now, and I do not think they are coming.

Currently I use a Fix86, and I just picked up a Twk88. With just the Fix86, a 5 channel amp and some effort in tuning, the factory speakers already sound clearer and have more bass. It's not perfect, but I'm able to adjust for where the Bose system is lacking and it has enough base energy now to rattle the door if I want. I just ordered new speakers from Crutchfield to go along with the Twk88 and finally have a system worthy of the car it's in.

People have been knocking the sound coming from the Fix86 when used on the Bose system, and after having used it myself, I understand the problem they were having and was able to account for it. It does actually sound much better when you set it up correctly. I'm sure the Nav-TV that is impossible to find new or used is nice, but I also don't have to turn off my system to keep it working.
DarkKnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:16 PM   #4
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Yup, I used the AudioControl to do what you are doing with the Fix and it "works" but trying to tune the accubase or whatever it is called is a lost cause.

The real issue with the NavTV is the lack of optical functionality. The failure to boot issue is actually quite rare. Maybe once a week that will happen with 50+ power ons. I would much rather flip the switch once a week than constantly be twisting a sub volume knob as I drive to compensate for rolloff.

Ultimately, there doesn't appear to be a solid solution for 2019+ Bose replacement at this time. All solutions have some arguably severe caveats. I know I was solidly bummed when I found out my ordered 2019 was AVB instead of the MOST50 system. That really deflated my sails.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt227 View Post
Have a new 2022 ZL1. Coming from a 2019 Corvette GS which I thought had a really good Bose system. It was loud and really thumped out the bass. Just do not think the Camaro Bose set up is all that good. Not very loud and just no bass. Mostly listen to rock/metal. My 2021 Silverado Trail Boss also has a Bose set up and it's much better sounding than the ZL1. Anyone else have an opinion or thoughts?
"Just no bass" is not remotely close to how I would describe my '21 ZL1's BOSE system. It has plenty of bass, and actually sounds pretty good IMO. In fact, I don't even have to keep the bass turned all the way up. I like a balanced sound, I don't need sub thumping bass, so maybe our expectations are different, but it hits pretty good for a factory system.

Overall, I think the bass and midrange is really good. The highs are adequate but since there's no dedicated tweeters they can get a bit harsh if turned up too high in the EQ.

Edit: Oh, and as far as volume, it gets plenty loud for me, too.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:11 AM   #6
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
"Just no bass" is not remotely close to how I would describe my '21 ZL1's BOSE system. It has plenty of bass, and actually sounds pretty good IMO. In fact, I don't even have to keep the bass turned all the way up. I like a balanced sound, I don't need sub thumping bass, so maybe our expectations are different, but it hits pretty good for a factory system.

Overall, I think the bass and midrange is really good. The highs are adequate but since there's no dedicated tweeters they can get a bit harsh if turned up too high in the EQ.

Edit: Oh, and as far as volume, it gets plenty loud for me, too.
It's good playing rock, but electronic earth wigglers sound very limited. I like both so...

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote