Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 10-15-2020, 03:47 AM   #29
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Question about toslink- what exactly does it do and do you need to use it for the system to work?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #30
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
it's basically just another way to get signal from one unit to another. It's optical instead of analog so arguably better. It's also a single line instead of multiple RCAs.
You absolutely do not need it. Analog RCA works just fine.
Here is a link that talks about this:
what-is-the-advantage-of-optical-toslink-over-rca-coaxial-cable
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #31
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevcanada View Post
They are trying to get me to send the old unit back they replaced or else they will charge me but unfortunately it was thrown out so I dunno if they can even do that. All while I'm driving around with no music for a month since it stopped working. Wonder if they will fix the issues or if it's a waiting game for PAC Audio
Not to be harsh but they were clear that these were advanced replacements. Why would you throw it away? These are $500 devices...

So it doesn't work at all? I have had some issues with it doing weird things but it never has been completely dead.

As for toslink. I have been running on analog since the toslink issues and although it works, it has FAR more noise than the toslink. Also, the toslink has backup sensors and such in the stereo pair it provides. I don't have rear speakers anymore so I had to sum the rear channels into my fronts in my DSP and then fade the music all the way to the front on the headunit to get my backup noises and such without the added rear channel color.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #32
chevcanada

Drives: chevy Camaro
Correct, the replacement unit was received in June and I don't know if there were any OTA updates or any for the Zen from then until September. Sometime in September just cut out completely. Nav Tv said to do the update but I just haven't been up yet to see my installer. ALong with it cutting out my rear backup sensor quit. I am unsure if the update will fix the unit or if I just need another brand new one.
chevcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #33
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
it's basically just another way to get signal from one unit to another. It's optical instead of analog so arguably better. It's also a single line instead of multiple RCAs.
You absolutely do not need it. Analog RCA works just fine.
Here is a link that talks about this:
what-is-the-advantage-of-optical-toslink-over-rca-coaxial-cable
Ok thanks for that. I won’t need to worry about toslink then because I’m using my late 90s Alpine amps which are analog only.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #34
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevcanada View Post
ALong with it cutting out my rear backup sensor quit. I am unsure if the update will fix the unit or if I just need another brand new one.
Quit as in it doesn't even visibly warn you on the screen if you get close to something or just doesn't audibly sound any longer?
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #35
chevcanada

Drives: chevy Camaro
Correct doesn't warn me.. and upon turning the car on it pops up that it's disabled. Anybody hear anything any progress on the Optical or anything?
chevcanada is offline   Reply With Quote