The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
The style of the GT-R is iconic and period/generation correct. Godzilla was born out of Asian culture and American trends. It's the generation X, manga, fast and furious, street racing, video game, iPod and tech savvy melting pot. It is everything Japan is and everything young Americans think Japan is. You could call the GT-R, Tokyo in a bottle for simple. The chief designer went as far as to say the model for the GTR was the Gundam manga series. To me, it's my generations Corvette, the car you dream about, and might be able to afford one day. As for style it's pure Japanesse and makes no concessions about what it is. You love it or hate it but, you must respect it.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
The style of the GT-R is iconic and period/generation correct. Godzilla was born out of Asian culture and American trends. It's the generation X, manga, fast and furious, street racing, video game, iPod and tech savvy melting pot. It is everything Japan is and everything young Americans think Japan is. You could call the GT-R, Tokyo in a bottle for simple. The chief designer went as far as to say the model for the GTR was the Gundam manga series. To me, it's my generations Corvette, the car you dream about, and might be able to afford one day. As for style it's pure Japanesse and makes no concessions about what it is. You love it or hate it but, you must respect it.
I'm not sure... do you like the GT-R? You're kinda going back and forth on it.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I think I'd rather have this

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
lol at using "ring" times to measure a stock vehicle's performance.

It like most race track times published, are just for internet battles and online glory. However, most of the GTRs performance can be gauged by it's real world stats. It's those stats that place it above most cars, but unlike most cars, sans the 911 turbo(stright line) any Joe blow can repeat them. Ring times like all speed tests must be taken with a grain of salt. I think our community learned that the hard way with the ZL1. That being said, once owners got behind the wheel of the ZL1/CTS-V they learned how much fun a car can be that puts down a great ring time.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I'm not sure... do you like the GT-R? You're kinda going back and forth on it.

Like it, I love it! I also realize what it is and looks wise the GTR is it's own animal or reptile.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I think I'd rather have this
"Nice Man" as Danny would say from Counting Cars! That right there is the Japanesse Grand National ... Sick Brother just sick..
Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
The term "daily driver" and a cost over 100K in the same sentence does not compute. 'Ring times really don't mean squat to me. I guess it's important to some. Me? I'm kinda unimpressed with it. Maybe because the car doesn't speak to me. (Or maybe it does, but I don't understand Japanese.)

What I don't get is why they put so much performance into something that doesn't even look that good. Maybe they should swap some letters and rename it "Dogzilla".

The GT-R may be a bag of chips for the minority that thinks it's cool, but one thing it can NEVER be...American Muscle. I guess I feel fortunate to have lived through the GREATEST times in automotive factory warfare. Things were raw and urefined. And affordable fun. I guess you could never understand if you weren't there. I know the Japanese and Euro markets have been trying very hard to be relevant to the muscle car era, but they cannot replicate that no matter how hard they try.

Make mine Camaro. All others? Back of the line.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
thats damn impressive.

There are certain cars out on the road that when I see them, they make my head turn, and I go wow. The GT-R is one of them.

you may not like the car, or not like the looks, but its performance is damn impressive
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #23

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
Love the performance - hate the looks!
If Nissan makes the car better looking in 2018, then I'll def jump on one.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
The term "daily driver" and a cost over 100K in the same sentence does not compute. 'Ring times really don't mean squat to me. I guess it's important to some. Me? I'm kinda unimpressed with it. Maybe because the car doesn't speak to me. (Or maybe it does, but I don't understand Japanese.)

What I don't get is why they put so much performance into something that doesn't even look that good. Maybe they should swap some letters and rename it "Dogzilla".

The GT-R may be a bag of chips for the minority that thinks it's cool, but one thing it can NEVER be...American Muscle. I guess I feel fortunate to have lived through the GREATEST times in automotive factory warfare. Things were raw and urefined. And affordable fun. I guess you could never understand if you weren't there. I know the Japanese and Euro markets have been trying very hard to be relevant to the muscle car era, but they cannot replicate that no matter how hard they try.

Make mine Camaro. All others? Back of the line.
Okie dokie, let's start with you first point (a daily driver for 100k). Well the GTR has AWD, a back seat, decent ground clearance, a automatic mode and tires that don't turn to glass when temps drop below 50 degrees. So the GTR can be driven everyday in almost every climate. It also has navigation, heated recaro seats and a bose sound system Add to the list smart key acess and a leather stitched dash and it's down rite nice inside. As far as the price consider the CTS-v, Z06, Escalade, Rang Rover, BMW M cars, and the Benz AMG cars are close to or are over 100K and are regularly used as daily drivers. Now also consider most of the cars on the ring list are stripped out race cars(viper acr/911 gt2)or are rwd cars(vetts/zl1)using warm/dry weather tires.

I think I have covered looks in my above posts, they are subjective period. Some 5th gen owners don't get why some like their Camaros to have body kits or look like transforming robots. Just like back in 70s some guys did not like crazy colors(panther pink) or huge wings(super bird). As a car lover I can enjoy just about anything that has power or speciality traits. That ranges from a old Bronco with a lift kit, to a Supra with 1000HP. If some people spent less time hating cars and more time driving them they might open their eyes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The problem about its looks is that blacked out bumper. It's rounded and feminine looking whereas the rest of the car looks masculine. So the end look is transvestite.

They need to make the blacked out bumper part more angular to match the rest of the car.

Up close, the car clearly looks more expensive than a Camaro. The quality of craftmanship in the lights and body panels (especially the rear) is outstanding.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Not a fan of the old Skyline...it has that "rice burner" looks IMO. The vents on the front look fake and the large rear spoiler. I prefer the new GTR looks. I can't afford either though. /shrug
Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Okie dokie, let's start with you first point (a daily driver for 100k). Well the GTR has AWD, a back seat, decent ground clearance, a automatic mode and tires that don't turn to glass when temps drop below 50 degrees. So the GTR can be driven everyday in almost every climate. It also has navigation, heated recaro seats and a bose sound system Add to the list smart key acess and a leather stitched dash and it's down rite nice inside. As far as the price consider the CTS-v, Z06, Escalade, Rang Rover, BMW M cars, and the Benz AMG cars are close to or are over 100K and are regularly used as daily drivers. Now also consider most of the cars on the ring list are stripped out race cars(viper acr/911 gt2)or are rwd cars(vetts/zl1)using warm/dry weather tires.

I think I have covered looks in my above posts, they are subjective period. Some 5th gen owners don't get why some like their Camaros to have body kits or look like transforming robots. Just like back in 70s some guys did not like crazy colors(panther pink) or huge wings(super bird). As a car lover I can enjoy just about anything that has power or speciality traits. That ranges from a old Bronco with a lift kit, to a Supra with 1000HP. If some people spent less time hating cars and more time driving them they might open their eyes
This^^^^

I think people forget about the more wealthy who drive these types of cars everyday. Hell the other day I was at the cadillac dealer checking out the XTS with my dad and we walked by the escalades, not one of them was below 70K!!!!!!!!!
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
And I bet every owner of a GT-R is saying:

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote