Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Question What is the ZL1 Really?

I just watched the Road and Track GT-R VS ZL1 video again, and the question was asked perfectly. The reviews said the ZL1 really does not have any real competitors. When the video came out some five months ago, I laughed and said duh the Shelby and Challenger. Now after reading and seeing so much more about the ZL1, I find myself perhaps agreeing?

So many owners and drivers of the ZL1, keep saying you have to drive one! Heck, even the F-body Father said himself the ZL1 is something you have to drive to understand. Is the ZL1 now a honest sports car? Is it something a gentleman from England would drive? Would the guys in the S2000, STI and EVO clubs (who give me an evil stare in my SS) drive it and fall in love? Is the ZL1 so fun/sporty to drive that it does not have to have world ending power? People love the 370Z and BMW 1 cars and they are not defined by their straight line performance.

Lets be honest most people (even the people who are going to buy one) will never get to drive the ZL1 till they sign on dotted line. Dealers just don't let you cruise around in 60K autos to experience IT factor. So most people have to rely on the automotive press, stat sheets, and word of mouth.

Even if the Camaro has turned into a true sports car, it will never escape the infinite deathlock of Mustang comparisons. As long as its name remains Camaro and Mustangs name remains Mustang at least. For me I'll never be happy with the Mustang having more power or better straight line performance. Those are the things that made me fall in love with the Camaro and American Muscle cars in general. Even if that import of yours could run circles around me on a track, I always beat my chest to the fact I had more HP and a big V8.

Don't get me wrong the ZL1 has lots of HP and a big V8 under hood. After all the dust has settled, I just find myself asking a few new questions. Does the ZL1 have a direct competitor, and if so what is it? Can you describe what IT is that you enjoy the most about driving the ZL1? And .... Is the ZL1 still a Camaro or has it evolved, even before its 6th generation redesign?

The video below talks about "Sports Cars" although it does not included a ZL1, it may add more insight to the new definition of what the top dog Camaro has become aka are car similar to a Porsche

2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
1981DFA

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Interesting!
1981DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Very well said. I still define the ZL1 and the GT500 as technologically advanced pony cars and not true sports cars if you hold to the classical definition. The closest competitor to the Camaro is the Mustang since it originally was and still is GMs answer to it.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
Interesting video but I would rather be found dead in the wifes mini van than be caught driving a Leaf and back on topic why do you have to classify everything just know that it cool and fun thats why we drive them.
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
I would say the ZL1 (not in a bad way, a great way in fact) is a modern muscle car trying to be a all around performance car. I say the strong suit for the ZL1 should be straight line performance over track performance. Which painfully i say right now its strong suit is not straight line performance. There is no denying it the ZL1's DNA is straight line performance. The Camaro is a straight line performance car, it is a MUSCLE CAR.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Competitor to the gt500. Top of the line camaro, designed to compete with the top of the line mustang, hence why they used a 12 gt500 as the benchmark during testing
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
camarofreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Competitor to the gt500. Top of the line camaro, designed to compete with the top of the line mustang, hence why they used a 12 gt500 as the benchmark during testing
Good point but why would they use the '12 gt500 as a benchmark when they knew ford was coming out with more powerful gt500. I know they didnt know when they were making the ZL1 that the gt500 would have 662hp but they should have made the '12 ZL1 be able to compete with the '13 better. I mean it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that ford was going to make a much more powerful mustang right after they come out with the '12 ZL1. In my own opinion.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Because that's what was available to test against haha
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
camarofreak

I think the ZL1 is a muscle car and a all around performance car in a weird way.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
I think the ZL1 is a muscle car and a all around performance car in a weird way.

I agree, someone posted something along the lines of the ZL1 is the first step to the new modern muscle cars. Its also funny that the media seem to prefer the Boss to the Shelby. The Boss to me is also a muscle car and a all around performance car.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
camarofreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
I agree, someone posted something along the lines of the ZL1 is the first step to the new modern muscle cars. Its also funny that the media seem to prefer the Boss to the Shelby. The Boss to me is also a muscle car and a all around performance car.
I personally wish the ZL1 did as well as the SLP ZL585 in the straight line.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I was recently reminded that Darwin didn't say the strongest survives, but the one that is most adaptable. I think this point fits the ZL1 perfectly. The old-school notion of a muscle car excelling in only straight line performance is dead. Long live the balanced performer!
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I've had my ZL1 almost a month now, 1000 miles on it and I can tell you it IS a all round great performance car. Took a BMW (It looked pretty new) whatever it was..... this morning in a straight line run but I only saw the front of it in my rear view. it also takes corners extremely well and the breaking is outstanding. I can tell you every little thing great about it, but it is very true....... you have to drive it to understand what it is really like!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
I personally wish the ZL1 did as well as the SLP ZL585 in the straight line.
I have posted the ZL585 video in the past, its super quick. If you just put that engine in the ZL1 .... boy talk about having your cake and eating it too.