Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
The Future ZL1

Well our enjoyment of the ZL1 was short lived, and the Mustang boys are at it again. It seems just as we start to enjoy the ZL1, more Mustang news comes out. I for one, would like to see some real numbers from the Shelby, other than its HP numbers. Al O, said he thought the ZL1 could hang in there with the Shelby, and I hope it can. The Mustang faithful are ****ed, locked and ready to unload if the ZL1 gets smoked.

I don't want this to turn into a VS thread, and everyone who has purchased a 2012 ZL1 still has every reason in the world to be happy. In fact you guys are on the front lines. You pulled the trigger on the ZL1 knowing that the crazy HP Shelby was stalking in the dark. To me that shows you really loved the ZL1 and it went beyond the numbers. Believe me that is the same love that I have and always will have for the Camaro. I went through high school in the 90s and muscle cars were anything put popular. Most kids back then would have rather had a Honda Accord with rims on it than a Camaro or Mustang. I could have shrugged off my love for the F-body cars but the fact that some imports were faster (Supra Turbo, Mazda RX-7, 300ZX) did not sway my love for the Camaro. I still thought those cars were cool and still do, but the Camaro was just my favorite. I think its great the GT-R is a beast and the new Viper is going to be amazing. I love all cars and I am just glad the automotive world still does to. If you remember we were suppose to be driving flying cars the the Jetsons by now .

All this being said, I like all the new muscle cars, but I love the Camaro. To me the Mustang VS Camaro is personal. Its like the Cowboys VS Redskins or the Yankees VS the Soxs. If your a Cowboys fan and Redskins pick up a great draft pick you start to sweat. When you realize the draft pick is going to run you into the ground next season you start to do this . Its not that you don't love your team, no thats not the case. In fact its the opposite, you love your team soo much you don't want to see them loose.

Hey, I know the game has not been played yet, but I think we both know whats going to happen. If it does not, well I will be doing this number More that just beating a dead horse, I would like GM to know a lot of us Camaro guys will never be happy with just the sales crown. We also care about beating the Mustang in performance too. Team Camaro cares too, and I think that is why they fired back so quickly in the press. I hope we can fire one more shot back(we know what they have lets up them in 2014) at the ponies before the 5th gen ends. Oh, and why do I hear Camaro guys talking soo much about how much the Camaro weights??? The Camaro has always weighted more than the Mustang, but that has never stopped us from smoking them in the past. We don't need to wait till the Alpha platform to get us a piece of the Mustang. Don't believe me watch the vid below. All cars had the same HP, but the Camaro weighted more, but who won in the straight line and on the track?? GM I know you listen to us ........... so lets get back to 1st place performance.

2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
2ndCamaro79

While I am strolling down memory lane....... remember this bad boy sold WITH a factory warranty. How about dim apples for 1997 performance Ford

Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
I'm a cowboys fan and sad that they still have Romo as their quarterback...but that's another story. Good write up and I am too a diehard Camaro faithful. I will always love the Camaro and eventhough I think the Mustang may have beaten us at the 1/4 this time, I will never buy a Ford. But I really love these muscle car wars..........common Dodge Challenger...join in the fun.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Look, around here nobody leaves their Shelby's stock, and I don't intend to leave my ZL1 stock either, so factory performance and numbers really have no meaning at all in the real world.

Its all fun, and a Ford guy is gonna buy a Shelby and a Chevy guy is gonna buy a Camaro, and a Dodge guy is buyin a Dodge.

The only thing I see as possibly a downer is those people that buy a car based on factory numbers instead of buying the car they actually like. They will never be satisfied and its their own fault really. I feel sorry for those people because that game has no winners, lots of people try to be the fastest and its a game you cannot possibly win.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
BrazenBeast
ZL1 #1745

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO \ 2012 ZL1
I have feeling this Shelby is going to be like Hemi cars of the 60'S. Fast as hell but staying alive ny a thread. Ford has already mentioned this car runs really hot. That is why it doesn't even have front grill. Ford has slso bragged about higher mpg numbers. This tells me that this car has a very lean tune and i'm skeptical of long term durability. Chevy on the other hand is known to have conservative tunes and has already tested durability. I think once we start tuning and making small mods we should be able to at least have a chance.
2012 zl1 Black #1745 Black Wheels ECF Suede 6 spd

BrazenBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenBeast View Post
I have feeling this Shelby is going to be like Hemi cars of the 60'S. Fast as hell but staying alive ny a thread. Ford has already mentioned this car runs really hot. That is why it doesn't even have front grill. Ford has slso bragged about higher mpg numbers. This tells me that this car has a very lean tune and i'm skeptical of long term durability. Chevy on the other hand is known to have conservative tunes and has already tested durability. I think once we start tuning and making small mods we should be able to at least have a chance.
No way a stock GT500 rolls out with anything leaner than 11.0:1 AF/R. The compression ratio getting a bump is where they get some of the extra power and MPG from.
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
kona

Drives: '12 ZL-1 #106, '10 ZR-1, 07GT-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Well our enjoyment of the ZL1 was short lived, and the Mustang boys are at it again. It seems just as we start to enjoy the ZL1, more Mustang news comes out. I for one, would like to see some real numbers from the Shelby, other than its HP numbers. Al O, said he thought the ZL1 could hang in there with the Shelby, and I hope it can. The Mustang faithful are ****ed, locked and ready to unload if the ZL1 gets smoked.

I don't want this to turn into a VS thread, and everyone who has purchased a 2012 ZL1 still has every reason in the world to be happy. In fact you guys are on the front lines. You pulled the trigger on the ZL1 knowing that the crazy HP Shelby was stalking in the dark. To me that shows you really loved the ZL1 and it went beyond the numbers. Believe me that is the same love that I have and always will have for the Camaro. I went through high school in the 90s and muscle cars were anything put popular. Most kids back then would have rather had a Honda Accord with rims on it than a Camaro or Mustang. I could have shrugged off my love for the F-body cars but the fact that some imports were faster (Supra Turbo, Mazda RX-7, 300ZX) did not sway my love for the Camaro. I still thought those cars were cool and still do, but the Camaro was just my favorite. I think its great the GT-R is a beast and the new Viper is going to be amazing. I love all cars and I am just glad the automotive world still does to. If you remember we were suppose to be driving flying cars the the Jetsons by now .

All this being said, I like all the new muscle cars, but I love the Camaro. To me the Mustang VS Camaro is personal. Its like the Cowboys VS Redskins or the Yankees VS the Soxs. If your a Cowboys fan and Redskins pick up a great draft pick you start to sweat. When you realize the draft pick is going to run you into the ground next season you start to do this . Its not that you don't love your team, no thats not the case. In fact its the opposite, you love your team soo much you don't want to see them loose.

Hey, I know the game has not been played yet, but I think we both know whats going to happen. If it does not, well I will be doing this number More that just beating a dead horse, I would like GM to know a lot of us Camaro guys will never be happy with just the sales crown. We also care about beating the Mustang in performance too. Team Camaro cares too, and I think that is why they fired back so quickly in the press. I hope we can fire one more shot back(we know what they have lets up them in 2014) at the ponies before the 5th gen ends. Oh, and why do I hear Camaro guys talking soo much about how much the Camaro weights??? The Camaro has always weighted more than the Mustang, but that has never stopped us from smoking them in the past. We don't need to wait till the Alpha platform to get us a piece of the Mustang. Don't believe me watch the vid below. All cars had the same HP, but the Camaro weighted more, but who won in the straight line and on the track?? GM I know you listen to us ........... so lets get back to 1st place performance.

Just a quick observation.....a good friend of mine just got back from the Porsche Driving School down in Alabama. This was not a "Beginners" class by any stretch. Most of the guys that were driving were dedicated amateurs who take their driving very seriously. Why do I bring this up? Because on the Friday morning of their last day there were 6 GT-500's also taking their turns on the track. These guys were all over the place.....they couldn't keep their cars planted at all. Several went off the track completely, suffering different degrees of damage.....these were all 2010 and newer cars. There were all kinds of discussions of the "Live Axel" problems and how incredibly difficult they were to handle. This was coming from the drivers themselves. The Porsche instructors were of course using these issues as fodder for why everyone should drive a Porsche and not even think about these "Muscle Cars"......my point is that Ford may be bringing a lot of HP to the game but I'll guarantee you, that Horsepower won't help them when it comes to hangin with our ZL-1's....straight ahead maybe, but anything requiring a turn and they are done....
Scott...
kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Look, around here nobody leaves their Shelby's stock, and I don't intend to leave my ZL1 stock either, so factory performance and numbers really have no meaning at all in the real world.
Its all fun, and a Ford guy is gonna buy a Shelby and a Chevy guy is gonna buy a Camaro, and a Dodge guy is buyin a Dodge.

The only thing I see as possibly a downer is those people that buy a car based on factory numbers instead of buying the car they actually like. They will never be satisfied and its their own fault really. I feel sorry for those people because that game has no winners, lots of people try to be the fastest and its a game you cannot possibly win.
you sure have changed your tone. why?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
you sure have changed your tone. why?
As I said before, I was pokin the bear because I was getting tired of all the "oh no the GT500 has more power whining".
Kind of a reverse trolling..although still trolling admitedly.(sp?)

Enough time has passed now, and people aren't talking so scaredy cat and the sky is falling about the GT500's anymore.
These are my true feelings on the matter and always have been.
I can appreciate all performance vehicles, but In the ponycar arena I prefer the Chevrolet products over the Ford and Chrysler regardless of HP ratings.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its good to have this discussion, and the forum needs to foster the competitive spirit between the ZL1 and GT500 (instead of locking threads).

What I recommend for Chevrolet is to wait until the GT500 releases its official numbers. It will be at this point where chevy can guage how much of a change may be needed. It might end up that the performance difference may not be drastic. Short of this is that Chevy will need to be ready to respond IMO in order to make this ZL1 competitive to the '13 GT500.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy

This video brought back some good memories. I owned one of those 30th anniversary Trans Ams with t-tops. That was when I was single and had not a care in the world..the good 'ol days. It Is what made me the muscle car lover I am today.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
While I am strolling down memory lane....... remember this bad boy sold WITH a factory warranty. How about dim apples for 1997 performance Ford

I sat in disbelief during that (edit: cause it was so damn quick) ...admittedly, I didn't watch the start *talking is boring* but is that a 'tuner' car from SLP, or built at the GM plant right alongside all the other Camaros?

Either way, damn quick! Stout though,,,,40K for a '97 is pricey indeed.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
I sat in disbelief during that (edit: cause it was so damn quick) ...admittedly, I didn't watch the start *talking is boring* but is that a 'tuner' car from SLP, or built at the GM plant right alongside all the other Camaros?

Either way, damn quick! Stout though,,,,40K for a '97 is pricey indeed.

This was built by Chevy, upgraded by SLP, and then sold through GM dealers with the regular GM warranty! I think that is what makes this car so great! The work SLP did for the 4th gen F-bodies was out of this world. Maybe the F-body father could explain how they did this back then and if it is possible for todays market?

I also agree with one of the other posters, that we must wait and see how good or bad the Shelby is before we know what cards to play. I think Team Camaro is also waiting to see what if any upgrades will be needed for the ZL1.