The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #631
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Difference is ... I don't think that GM has even acknowledged the existence of the C8 program. I think the NSX was shown several years before it was finally ready. Toyota was a bit more cagey about the Supra. They said they were working on a sports car with BMW 4 or 5 years ago, but mostly refused to call it a Supra until the very end.
Wait Wait Wait... Explain that
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #632
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Difference is ... I don't think that GM has even acknowledged the existence of the C8 program. I think the NSX was shown several years before it was finally ready. Toyota was a bit more cagey about the Supra. They said they were working on a sports car with BMW 4 or 5 years ago, but mostly refused to call it a Supra until the very end.
Sure, they haven't come out and said this is the C8 and its mid engine but its probably the worst kept secret in the automotive world. We've seen mules for years now, including that weird drive train prototype with a C7 cabin and Holden body panels. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there have been multiple major delays at this point. That may have driven them to bring out the C7 ZR1. It never made sense for them to bring out the ZR1, which is basically a Z06+, when they said the C7 couldn't really handle more power.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 PM   #633
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
Wait Wait Wait... Explain that
Have they done a concept car? Have they issued a press release? What have they said about anything along the lines of 'C8', 'a C7/Stingray successor', or even 'a mid-engined Chevrolet sportscar/supercar'? To my knowledge, GM has been absolutely silent about the C8. Maybe they've opened up about it and I've simply missed it or forgotten.

Yes, they are testing cars. Yes, they have revamped the plant in Bowling Green. But officially, the plant upgrades are for a bigger paint shop -not the C8. And I don't think they ever tell anyone whats getting tested. Other outlets identify these things as being for the C8. But if you were to ask anyone at GM about the C8, they'd probably respond "Cee-what?".
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:34 PM   #634
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Have they done a concept car? Have they issued a press release? What have they said about anything along the lines of 'C8', 'a C7/Stingray successor', or even 'a mid-engined Chevrolet sportscar/supercar'? To my knowledge, GM has been absolutely silent about the C8. Maybe they've opened up about it and I've simply missed it or forgotten.

Yes, they are testing cars. Yes, they have revamped the plant in Bowling Green. But officially, the plant upgrades are for a bigger paint shop -not the C8. And I don't think they ever tell anyone whats getting tested. Other outlets identify these things as being for the C8. But if you were to ask anyone at GM about the C8, they'd probably respond "Cee-what?".
Isn't it the same thing that occurred with the C4 and C5 though? I sorta recall reading it.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:10 AM   #635
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'd be surprised if even GM knows when the C8 will launch. This is turning out to be their NSX/Supra. Why else would they be rushing out sticker packages... I mean special editions?

This isn't even close to the same situation. Like DG said, GM has never publicly acknowledged anything midengined is on the way. It's not like they rolled out a concept back in 2011 and have been hyping it up clear through now, releasing "updated" concepts every year that's just the first one in a new paint color.

As for the sticker packages, GM has been pushing those out on C7 since launch. It's nothing new.

All we've seen are mules and IVERs, and whatever conclusions we're all deciding to draw from seeing them are just speculation.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:52 AM   #636
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
This isn't even close to the same situation. Like DG said, GM has never publicly acknowledged anything midengined is on the way. It's not like they rolled out a concept back in 2011 and have been hyping it up clear through now, releasing "updated" concepts every year that's just the first one in a new paint color.

As for the sticker packages, GM has been pushing those out on C7 since launch. It's nothing new.

All we've seen are mules and IVERs, and whatever conclusions we're all deciding to draw from seeing them are just speculation.
Would an IVER be dressed as a mule or be camouflaged? If not then has a C8 IVER ever been seen?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #637
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Sure, they haven't come out and said this is the C8 and its mid engine but its probably the worst kept secret in the automotive world. We've seen mules for years now, including that weird drive train prototype with a C7 cabin and Holden body panels. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there have been multiple major delays at this point. That may have driven them to bring out the C7 ZR1. It never made sense for them to bring out the ZR1, which is basically a Z06+, when they said the C7 couldn't really handle more power.
C7 ZR1 was always part of the plan and has launched pretty much when expected. I was still at GM during the development.

Quote:

That is as close to the official company line as you will ever see. Even employees that happen to speak to Tadge in the hallway will get the same response. If you don’t already know, you ain’t s’posed to and nobody who does know will have anything to say to you.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #638

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Gonna suggest it's not a Corvette at all....With all the recent events, releases, etc., I think this mid-engine mystery is actually going to be a new super-car....Cadillac!!...Why not? Cadillac seems to be GMs biggest new investment, etc., especially in the electric category....This mid-engine could be the future for Caddy, not Corvette....or not...lol...just sayin'...

Name:  1485446725365.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  cq5dam.web_.1280.1280-3.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  130.7 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #639
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Gonna suggest it's not a Corvette at all....With all the recent events, releases, etc., I think this mid-engine mystery is actually going to be a new super-car....Cadillac!!...Why not? Cadillac seems to be GMs biggest new investment, etc., especially in the electric category....This mid-engine could be the future for Caddy, not Corvette....or not...lol...just sayin'...
Nope.

Before this leak...https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/ex...proved-design/ I'd have said you might be correct, but unless GM wanted us to see this, and faked out the Corvette emblem on the steering wheel, there is definitely a new Corvette coming.

I guess you could argue there is a new Vette and a Cadillac coming, but nobody has seen evidence of two different cars that I know of.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #640
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Would an IVER be dressed as a mule or be camouflaged? If not then has a C8 IVER ever been seen?

The weird C7 mashed up with a Ute was a mule.

Everything we've seen since with production-intent bodies and interiors and powertrains are IVERs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Nope.

Before this leak...https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/ex...proved-design/ I'd have said you might be correct, but unless GM wanted us to see this, and faked out the Corvette emblem on the steering wheel, there is definitely a new Corvette coming.

I guess you could argue there is a new Vette and a Cadillac coming, but nobody has seen evidence of two different cars that I know of.

Cadillac has a sports car on the way apparently. We know absolutely nothing about it besides the fact that it's planned. It could be a standalone model, could just be a V-series of the CT4 or CT5.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #641
JhonnyGTR

Quote:

Got it. Thaks For the explanation
Old 01-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #642
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
C7 ZR1 was always part of the plan and has launched pretty much when expected. I was still at GM during the development.

That is as close to the official company line as you will ever see. Even employees that happen to speak to Tadge in the hallway will get the same response. If you don’t already know, you ain’t s’posed to and nobody who does know will have anything to say to you.
... ... But good point too
Old 02-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #643
JhonnyGTR

Recent Pics of the thing that nobody knows what it is...

Old 02-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #644
FenwickHockey65

C8 badge.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...4MKk4r8KdAj_I8