Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Medic726

Drives: 2020 Camaro convertible RS Auto
Got pulled over today on the interstate...Guess why??

Speeding? Nope cruise is set on 65.....Got the taillights, headlights, and side markers blacked out....Possibly a reason? After a nice conversation with the State Trooper he takes a walk around my car and warns me for having a clear plastic cover over my plates. Then says nice ride and heads off on his way. Guess he wanted to check my car out up close???
Medic726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Warnings are good.... At least he didn't nail you for something absurd.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Maybe? Wow. Good fortune.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Jacqs
pinkcamaro.com for sale

Drives: 2010 Pink Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jacqs Send a message via Yahoo to Jacqs
Thankfully mine's pink and I won't get that Ha!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
now thats a one of a kind camaro!!! ....cool lookin color!
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Hope I don't see mr johnny law behind me because I'm sure ill be explaining the black windshield issue somehow and losing. I know the light covers will push them to the inevitable pull over
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic726 View Post
Speeding? Nope cruise is set on 65.....Got the taillights, headlights, and side markers blacked out....Possibly a reason? After a nice conversation with the State Trooper he takes a walk around my car and warns me for having a clear plastic cover over my plates. Then says nice ride and heads off on his way. Guess he wanted to check my car out up close???
Or it could be that you can't have those covers.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Or it could be that you can't have those covers.
Depends on the area you live in I suppose. Here in Colorado if the cover is clear but doesn't obstruct the view of the plate (ie. when looking at it from the side), then you're ok. Plates with colors to them (grey, amber, black, etc) are automatically a no no.

There's also laws against windshields (front or back) being tinted and the windows as well. People don't realize the amount of traffic violations they occur when they start modding their car.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
Medic726

Drives: 2020 Camaro convertible RS Auto
I had no clue about the covers on the plates. I've had clear cover on my plates for the last 10 years without one issue and Ive been pulled over before and they never said a thing. This Trooper mentioned something about the covers blocking the interstate toll cameras from taking pictures. My point was of all the other things I've done to my car, most of which I knew were borderline, he picks the one thing I least expected.
Medic726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
In many states any cover or sticker over a license plate is illegal...even the clear ones.

In Florida it falls under Obscured Tag statute, as the guidelines state no material shall be placed in front of license plate regardless of visual obstruction...just some friendly advice...it doesn't seem you are complaining about being stopped and given a warning.

I really don't have an issue with the clear plates, but the pink, blue, and extremely dark tinted ones are pretty ridiculous.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
I had no clue about the covers on the plates. I've had clear cover on my plates for the last 10 years without one issue and Ive been pulled over before and they never said a thing. This Trooper mentioned something about the covers blocking the interstate toll cameras from taking pictures. My point was of all the other things I've done to my car, most of which I knew were borderline, he picks the one thing I least expected.
For years clear covers were not an issue but with red light cameras, radar cameras, and new LPR systems that check plates, even clear covers can lower the quality of the reads. States are now starting to clamp down on people with plate covers. Most states have laws in place that you cannot have ANY covers over your motor vehicle plates. Just over the years people have assumed clear was fine.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:

I really think he was telling you to get rid of your clear covers.. Illinois just added radar Cameras to their road construction areas on interstates and Troopers are checking tags to make sure they can be read. Friend of mine that lives in the state sent me a article about the new system.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
Diabel1969

Drives: 2010 2SS, A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
For years clear covers were not an issue but with red light cameras, radar cameras, and new LPR systems that check plates, even clear covers can lower the quality of the reads. States are now starting to clamp down on people with plate covers. Most states have laws in place that you cannot have ANY covers over your motor vehicle plates. Just over the years people have assumed clear was fine.
This would be why I wetsand and clear coat my plates.... I figure any little advantage I can gain is a good one!
Diabel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I know in NC they are clamping down on this, Plus license plate frames if it covers the Top and Bottom (where the Name and Inspection Tags go).

I would love to use a Frame, but not interested in getting pull for something as ridiculous as that.