Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Mike14bumblebee

Drives: 2014 yellow 2SS/RS
Halo and demon eye install

Hello everyone, I am almost finished the install of multi-coloured halos and demon eyes in my 14 ss/rs. I am wondering how the people who have done this, or have opened their headlights for any reason really, have reassembled them. When I opened my lights up, they came apart very cleanly. All the sealant stayed on the black plastic part. So my question is, do I ..
A) reheat the housing and reassemble the way they are without adding any more sealant or
B) purchase some silicon, rev sealant, or something else and add it to the original sealant that is still there?
I will then have to add some silicon or something to where the new wires will be coming out of the housing so it will be sealed up there as well.
Looking for responses from people that have experience with doing this pls and thank you in advance.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Nothing to add here of value but super curious of the answers. Been considering this for a while now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Although I have never done it myself, everything I have ever seen says to use RTV silicone to re-seal the headlights.

Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #4
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Absolutely seal them or any leaks will fog them up.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
Mike14bumblebee

I figured more is probably better in this case lol. Thanks for the responses. Hester, I brought my wires out the same spot instead of drilling any extra holes in there. Kinda strange that a piece of tape like that could make sure the headlights are sealed.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I did mine 4 years ago. I removed all the original black sealant and resealed with 100% clear silicone. I opened them up again last week to install different halos as my original ones had no diffusers. They stayed perfectly sealed with no fogging issues and they were not too bad to re-open either. I was dreading re-opening but it worked out ok, just did the same bake procedure.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
Mike14bumblebee

Thanks davesnever. I guess I will have to heat them up again and then remove the original sealant as I think it's hard. Not flexible unless its warm kinda stuff. Which kit did u have and which do u have now?
Old 04-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
davesnever

My old set, you can see the individual led chips but the newer ones have frosted rings over them so they look a bit smoother, thats the only difference. The old ones still worked perfectly but I prefer the newer ones. I bought both sets off ebay for $40 CAD each, which included both headlights and fogs. No branding whatsover, I just searched for 160mm halos which is what fit in my headlights.First pic is old led rings then the following is after installing new ones.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Mike14bumblebee

Wow those look awesome. Kinda wish I saw those before I purchased and installed mine. Other then mine are completely installed yet lol.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
davesnever

Yeah I don't want to bash the big brand names, I know they stand behind their products but I didn't want to be taking the front bumper cover off every time the leds burnt out. If the extra cost of them meant I wouldn't have to do that I would have gone that route but after seeing the majority of peoples experience here, I figured I would try the cheaper option first. Here's a pic of the controller I used, which was about $25 CAD(ebay)
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
Mike14bumblebee

Ya I get that. I was pretty worried about the same thing and having to open the headlights multiple times if they die out. Took the chance and my fingers are crossed.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #12
davesnever

Yeah you RS guys have it bad enough. I see alot of RS owners are having problems with the headlight reflector surfaces deteriorating over time.Not sure exactly what it's all about. The chrome surface in my headlights looked perfect when I reopened mine last week, how are yours looking? Oh and yeah I don't drive mine in the winter lol.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
Mike14bumblebee

The only chrome in mine is inside the actual projector. Not sure how anyone would notice its deteriorating unless you have the lights opened. Summer only car here as well.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #14
Mike14bumblebee

Just wanted to post an update with the coloured halos and demon eyes installed. After watching many YouTube videos and being worried about wrecking my head lights I increased the heat to 250 instead of the 220 that was recommended and put them in the oven for 18 minutes. I was surprised when I only had to do a little prying in one spot and then the lights came right apart by hand. I resealed them by warming them up for 10 minutes and using black silicon. Any questions just ask. I am running Diode Dynamics demon eyes and RGVshelby halo led boards.
Name:  4AD384AC-BEA3-4F24-AD0F-5CE3CE27F0A5.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  222.0 KB