Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
stones1973

Drives: 2010 ss
oil pan leak?

just brought the 2010 ss in for its oil change car has around 30k on it and they brought it to my attention that the oil pan shows signs of a leak, not bad no signs of leaking on the garage floor. is this a common problem?
stones1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
If it leaks wouldn't you see it on the garage floor.....sounds like they're fishing for work that's not needed.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Ask them to show you. But LS oil pan gaskets are a very common place to leak.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
stones1973

Drives: 2010 ss
they showed me what the oil pan looked like. I have been using the same garage for several years and trust them. I was just wondering if the oil pan leaking was a common problem. thanks for the replies
stones1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Very common to start leaking at the rear by the trans and eventually work to the front.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
arojrcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Very common to start leaking at the rear by the trans and eventually work to the front.
Mine started leaking in that spot right above the oil filter. Never had a drip on the floor, but was always wet on the filter and the back of oil pan. I had 13k miles on the car at the time, I changed the gasket and sure enough.. It was bad in the corner of the oil pan.
arojrcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arojrcam View Post
Mine started leaking in that spot right above the oil filter. Never had a drip on the floor, but was always wet on the filter and the back of oil pan. I had 13k miles on the car at the time, I changed the gasket and sure enough.. It was bad in the corner of the oil pan.
how did you do it? i hear you have to drop the whole front cradle
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
The oil pan gasket was replaced on my early '10 SS 2 years ago under warranty with
33,400 miles. Yes it is a common problem and not an easy repair. I was told it would
be about $2000.00 if not covered. And hunter1660, no it's not a leak that will show
up on your garage floor... Very slow and disperses.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
NHCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Mine was replaced last year with 32k under warranty, right after they did oil cooler lines that were leaking under warranty as well
2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange 6-Speed . Edelbrock E Force Supercharger, Volant Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, River City Creations Emblems, Oracle ghosted LED markers, SLP faded gills, ...531 rwhp, 490 rwtq
NHCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 AM   #10
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHCamaroSS View Post
Mine was replaced last year with 32k under warranty, right after they did oil cooler lines that were leaking under warranty as well
all well and good if you have a warranty. Couple months out and chevy wont touch it
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 AM   #11
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
I'm at 60,000 miles and have the same nuisance pan leak and now the oil pump died last night.
Oh what fun this is becoming........ last Sunday my sons GT engine failure and exactly one week later my LS3 failed me, hopefully only the pump and nothing else.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post
I'm at 60,000 miles and have the same nuisance pan leak and now the oil pump died last night.
Oh what fun this is becoming........ last Sunday my sons GT engine failure and exactly one week later my LS3 failed me, hopefully only the pump and nothing else.
Good Morning 2011ss/rs,

I regret to hear that your Camaro seems to be experiencing this pan leak as well as an oil pump concern, and I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Have you been able to bring this to the attention of your dealer? If you would be interested in additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Good Morning 2011ss/rs,

I regret to hear that your Camaro seems to be experiencing this pan leak as well as an oil pump concern, and I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Have you been able to bring this to the attention of your dealer? If you would be interested in additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thank you for reaching out to me about this problem. No I haven't contacted my dealership about it, most likely I will do the work at a performance shop or do it myself with aftermarket parts.

The engine has a aftermarket cam and few other things, wouldn't the powertrain warranty be void anyhow?

Thanks again
Old 06-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post
Thank you for reaching out to me about this problem. No I haven't contacted my dealership about it, most likely I will do the work at a performance shop or do it myself with aftermarket parts.

The engine has a aftermarket cam and few other things, wouldn't the powertrain warranty be void anyhow?

Thanks again
Good Afternoon 2011ss/rs,

You’re very welcome! I can understand your concern regarding your aftermarket parts, as this does have the possibility to void your warranty. However, as our dealerships are independently owned and operated, those decisions vary on a dealer-to-dealer basis. I would be more than willing to facilitate a discussion between you and your preferred dealership if you would be interested in exploring those options.

I look forward to your response,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote