Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
MSull16

Drives: '10 Camaro SS LS3
To Supercharge or not to Supercharge....

I remember saying to myself... "426 hp is enough." When I bought my car. But man the more and more I think about it I cant help but think about supercharging it. I just have some questions that hopefully the community here can help with.

My car is my daily. I was always under the impression that supercharging a motor puts ALOT of stress on it...thoughts?
I didnt buy a 6.2L V8 for good gas mileage but how is the impact on the mpg from a supercharger?
What is the meaning behind "stages" whats the difference?
What other considerations should I take?

If it varies from what exactly you get, I was looking at the SLP stage 1, edelbrock 15960 stage 3, and I looked at some prochargers.
MSull16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Firebreed
Got Boost?

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6 SLP TVS 2300
My camaro is a daily and I've supercharged it with the new style slp tvs 2300, mpg wise it's about the same if not a tad better on the highways, reliability wise it may add some more stress to the engine but I'm more worried about something suspension/drive line breaking then the engine going. But once you add the supercharger you'll want more lol

sent from the middle of nowhere, Pacific ocean
Future Mods: 416ci stroker.
Firebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
failshift
Banned

Stages mean nothing but comparison within the brand. If you want simple simple efficient easy kit. Get an ADM LSA conversion kit. Will make good power and leave a lot of room
For improvement. As far as cruising/hwy you're MPG will actually go up. I was getting 28mpg at 55 in 5th and was running super rich. Now once you get into the gas/boost you're going to get no mpg at all

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
SLP supercharged 2013 SS/RS 1LE VR
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
565hp/560tq @8.6psi
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
New style SLP supercharger here on a daily driver. S/C has been on for about two years now, and haven't had any problems with it. No meaningful change in gas mileage either.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Mine is not a daily driver, but it could be. It drives like a daily driver until you step on the pedal, that's when you get boost. Before my supercharger I got 24mpg on a trip, now I get 24.5mpg on a trip. I get about 19mpg just running around home. The torq on a roots S/C is amazing. I have 36K miles on my S/C with do problems. See my mods in my Sig.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
agent5

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS (+RS) + Hurst+ DME
I also felt the same way as you for 3 years, 426HP is enough. My car is my daily driver and I've done about 30K on it. But 426HP wasn't enough, really. I got used to the power and started debating trading in.. except, I realized I loved my car and I don't want to spend so much money for a new car just to gain a little more.

So after a lot of research I locked in the Procharger I1, why the I1? Because I can literally switch it off and deal with bad weather and fuel economy when I want but hit a button and gain 7.5-8PSI and get 50% more power that hasn't stopped thrilling me yet (I've had it for about 8 months now).

It's a little more expensive than most super chargers but if you want that flexibility of being able to switch it on or off and even remap it for optimal performance as you continue modding your car -- it's a great choice.
agent5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
NHCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Couldnt be happier since i supercharged mine 2 months ago, totally different machine when you get on it. otherwise sounds and feels the same which I like when putting around.
2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange 6-Speed . Edelbrock E Force Supercharger, Volant Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, River City Creations Emblems, Oracle ghosted LED markers, SLP faded gills, ...531 rwhp, 490 rwtq
NHCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
cc-rider

Anytime you add power you put more stress on an engine. But these LS engines actually have an incredible track record of tolerating a reasonable level of boost and lasting a LONG time. People out there running 500-550 rwhp for 50k+ miles without a hiccup and still going strong.

If you stay reasonable with boost (6-8 psi) and get a good tune...there is no reason to think it won't last you a very long time. That being said, there are ways to screw it up and a data point out there somewhere to scare anyone. People have put superchargers on and blown the engine up in 1 day. But stock engines have blown up at low mileage too.

Getting a good tune is the single most important thing you can do for longevity. Lots of good places to do that for you.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
Anytime you add power you put more stress on an engine. But these LS engines actually have an incredible track record of tolerating a reasonable level of boost and lasting a LONG time. People out there running 500-550 rwhp for 50k+ miles without a hiccup and still going strong.

If you stay reasonable with boost (6-8 psi) and get a good tune...there is no reason to think it won't last you a very long time. That being said, there are ways to screw it up and a data point out there somewhere to scare anyone. People have put superchargers on and blown the engine up in 1 day. But stock engines have blown up at low mileage too.

Getting a good tune is the single most important thing you can do for longevity. Lots of good places to do that for you.

And then there's people like me who get 500miles on theirs
Old 05-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Knowing that a good cam, headers and a tune - even a performance VVT cam, headers and tune for the L99 can get you upwards of 90 RWHP, I'm really torn on which way to go. I love the Maggie but man, $10K installed for a SC is a SERIOUS commitment of your cashola.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
failshift
Banned

To Supercharge or not to Supercharge....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Knowing that a good cam, headers and a tune - even a performance VVT cam, headers and tune for the L99 can get you upwards of 90 RWHP, I'm really torn on which way to go. I love the Maggie but man, $10K installed for a SC is a SERIOUS commitment of your cashola.

You can do a LSA FOR LIKE 7. Or a SLP for like 7500-8000
Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
LSA ADM kit. Driving mine all the time and on trips. 9k since all my upgrades. These engines can take this kits power no problem.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
cc-rider

If you are somewhat mechanical...you can do the install yourself and save a lot of money. Some kits like the SLP 2300 is known for being a very straightforward install. I put on a Kenne Bell myself. I think all of these kits come with very good detailed instructions. I know the KB kit did for me. 100+ pages of every last little detail.

Don't be afraid to try the install yourself. If you've ever twisted wrenches before...you could do it.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #14
MSull16

Drives: '10 Camaro SS LS3
Yeah where are the SLP people at? I ask because that seems to be one of the lower priced ones I can find. 8k probably my max. Ideally 7k.
MSull16 is offline   Reply With Quote