Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
rainofcastamere

Drives: 2012 Bumblebee
Question for those that are familiar with interest rates

Ok, looking to buy my first Camaro. I've never purchased a car before (my last car was given to me after my dad bought a new car) and I have a little credit, so obviously being a first time buyer, I will have a target on my back from sale reps and I want to hear from people that know what's a good deal and what's isn't unlike me. So anyway, the car I'm looking at is right under $25,000 (out the door price). The payment place he has for me is $450 a month, with no down payment, for 72 months. That's about $7000 in total interests. He started telling me how because it's the end of the month, he's hooking me up with an amazing deal and no one else can and how many people would die for that interest rate, especially first time buyers. I told him I could ask my dad (who has good credit) to co-sign, and he told me it wouldn't make a difference because my interest rate is already insanely low.

Please tell me your thoughts and if he's being genuine or if I'm getting ripped off.

UPDATE* He said warranty was added into the price which is why it looked like it was over 8 percent interest. He said my interest rate is actually 5.3 percent and he could take the warranty off and then my payments would be under 410 a month for 72 months. What do you guys think? Still a rip off?

Last edited by rainofcastamere; 04-28-2016 at 03:42 PM.
rainofcastamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
AP90

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Not trying to be rude, but it would help to know the actual interest rate. I know, I could figure it out but it would just be easier tell us.

But as a side note, I just bought my SS which is the first thing I've ever needed to borrow money for. It was a nightmare. Car was 19,500, was going to put $6000 down, mom was co-signing and she has decent credit, and my interest rate was 13.5%. I ended up telling them where to go and just paid cash for it. Id like to build some credit, but at this rate, it cost me way to much money to build any. Doesn't help that i refuse to use a credit card though.
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainofcastamere View Post
Ok, looking to buy my first Camaro. I've never purchased a car before (my last car was given to me after my dad bought a new car) and I have a little credit, so obviously being a first time buyer, I will have a target on my back from sale reps and I want to hear from people that know what's a good deal and what's isn't unlike me. So anyway, the car I'm looking at is right under $25,000 (out the door price). The payment place he has for me is $450 a month, with no down payment, for 72 months. That's about $7000 in total interests. He started telling me how because it's the end of the month, he's hooking me up with an amazing deal and no one else can and how many people would die for that interest rate, especially first time buyers. I told him I could ask my dad (who has good credit) to co-sign, and he told me it wouldn't make a difference because my interest rate is already insanely low.

Please tell me your thoughts and if he's being genuine or if I'm getting ripped off.
That's about 9%. I just got a car loan for 2.6%. Check with a credit union.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
rainofcastamere

It's bank financing by the way. So for a first time buyer with very little credit, is that a rip off?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
That is 9% interest. Tell him to go pound sand.

If your credit is so bad you need a loan at 9% interest you need to skip the car right now, build your credit and look again later. If he is just shady or trying to make a killing off you, you should look elsewhere. Either way, no Camaro today.

Apply online and see what rates they will give you. A quick google search and I didn't see anything over 5%.

I got screwed once back in the day at 12%, but never again.

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
rainofcastamere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP90 View Post
Not trying to be rude, but it would help to know the actual interest rate. I know, I could figure it out but it would just be easier tell us.

But as a side note, I just bought my SS which is the first thing I've ever needed to borrow money for. It was a nightmare. Car was 19,500, was going to put $6000 down, mom was co-signing and she has decent credit, and my interest rate was 13.5%. I ended up telling them where to go and just paid cash for it. Id like to build some credit, but at this rate, it cost me way to much money to build any. Doesn't help that i refuse to use a credit card though.
He said it came out to 5.3 but my math came out to over 8 percent and the poster below you also said it was over 8 percent, hmm...
Old 04-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
rainofcastamere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
That's about 9%. I just got a car loan for 2.6%. Check with a credit union.
Do you have good credit? And have you purchased a car before? Also how many months for 2.6 percent?

Last edited by rainofcastamere; 04-28-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainofcastamere View Post
It's bank financing by the way. So for a first time buyer with very little credit, is that a rip off?
Is that the dealer's bank? I would suggest, as Mr. Stacy did, go to a credit union or a bank of your choice. Also, if he's willing to co-sign, take your dad, it will make a difference if his credit is good. 8% is too high. One thing dealerships try to do is the 'better the deal' on the price of the car, the higher they raise the interest rate (have an uncle who used to work at one). Good luck.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
rainofcastamere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Is that the dealer's bank? I would suggest, as Mr. Stacy did, go to a credit union or a bank of your choice. Also, if he's willing to co-sign, take your dad, it will make a difference if his credit is good. 8% is too high. One thing dealerships try to do is the 'better the deal' on the price of the car, the higher they raise the interest rate (have an uncle who used to work at one). Good luck.
Yeah, thanks man, I will look into it! I don't know if it's the dealer's bank or not. Based off what you know, realistically, around how low would I shoot for in terms of interest rate?
Old 04-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
The key to getting a good interest rate, for someone who doesn't really have a long-term credit rating, is the down payment. For someone new to applying for credit, if you can put at least 20% down, you will get about as good an interest rate as possible. And... as AP90 stated, "Doesn't help that i refuse to use a credit card though". A credit card is an excellent way for a person with little credit history to establish better credit. You don't have to max-out a credit card to establish credit - just buy some things over several months, that you can pay off when the bill comes. $100 here, $80 there... just enough to show that you are a good risk. Your credit rating will improve quickly and (with a decent down-payment) you will be getting offers for 3-5% before you know it.

Also, in my opinion, don't let the talk you into a 72 month loan. The interest paid over 6 years is ridiculous. Go for 60 months or less and pay a bit more on your principle. You'll be glad you did, on down the road.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
Ewey

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 6 speed black
2.5% here
Ewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
5% max... he's giving you the interest rate that he's making money off of...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
rainofcastamere

Hey, thanks everyone for all your advice and help, I greatly appreciated it. Do you think I would realistically be able to get it under 3 percent with a 60 month payment?
Old 04-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #14
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Haha I have 1.65% interest, I put down $3,500 and my monthly payment is $385.00! You are young so the sales person will try and screw you every possible way. Tell him what you want and if he doesn't budge walk away and go elsewhere. Hell tell him everything we are telling you! He is full of SHEEEEET!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote