Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #29
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Driving in rain

I never drive mine when it's going to rain. I'm from Minneapolis too, I guess we won't be driving them this weekend.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #30
NHCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I never drive in the rain as well. Like to keep it clean and much easier to do showroom shine then wash, dry, and such.... I get grief from some but oh well nice to have the choice not to. Put 3000 miles on mine in two years so......
2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange 6-Speed . Edelbrock E Force Supercharger, Volant Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, River City Creations Emblems, Oracle ghosted LED markers, SLP faded gills, ...531 rwhp, 490 rwtq
NHCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #31
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
My cars are Chevy's not Fords, they can take the heat and rain. They are all parked outside, so driving them in the rain is no biggie for me. Plus why should I worry about keeping them perfect for the next guy ...
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #32
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
My cars are Chevy's not Fords, they can take the heat and rain. They are all parked outside, so driving them in the rain is no biggie for me. Plus why should I worry about keeping them perfect for the next guy ...
All my cars live outdoors as well, and even Fords can take the rain. As long as you've got good tires on it.

Hell, under the right conditions driving in the rain isn't particularly stressful and is actually quite a lot of fun even with the requirement for the driver's window to be open (less rain gets in than you'd think). You do have to keep your wits about you, though, and about 11 minutes in somebody else apparently didn't.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-02-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #33
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
^^^

Sorry about that Norm, forgot you drive a Mustang ...
Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #34
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
It's a good thing most of you don't live in Europe. You'd get to drive your car four days out of the year.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #35
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
I avoid rainy days if I am driving it to work. We get a "dusting" of limestone dust which doesn't play well mixing with the water on the vinyl stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #36
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
^^^

Sorry about that Norm, forgot you drive a Mustang ...
No offense taken, my feelings can't get hurt over the cars I drive, and I wouldn't treat a Camaro any differently (hope the mere thought of that doesn't give drew a heart attack).

Norm
Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #37
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
LOL And yes winner in the preservation class of a 2077 car show, MR. Lazys never driven in the rain Camaro ss.... this would be the 13th owner for this pristine Camaro SS a 2015 summit white...yes a body mans favorite color only never wrecked because it was never driven, now with just under 5k on the odometer..... Until someone drives it like its meant to be driven, I am in the wheels off class, you drive the thing and fix the thing, why you can under coat the thing, swap tires on the thing, and drive happily in the rain all the time. You see I manage to drive daily with about 500 ft lbs . RWTQ
and I am in rainy old Oregon, now I know you get snow, lord Knows I am sending my wife on a plane to her home town Duluth today to see her mom. But the deal is, if you don't drive it you don't get the appreciation for it as much, and are much more likely to trade it down the road..........

I am old school, use it or loose it, treat it as a china doll and fascination can move on to the next bright shiny toy when you already have a gem. I also understand lots of places that get the same weather we do here do not have the infrastructure to support large amounts of rain. When California gets some of our rain they flood and have land slides because their storm drainage is inadequate at best. If your stuck in a place where its that bad it sucks, and you have to live to not swamp your computer and flood your engine ETC.... I enjoy even driving in the rain, I just don't go 100 MPH on the freeway and use Toyo proxes 4+ all seasons as the Pirellis were shot out back by about 12-16 k.

I am in the not keeping it perfect for the Next guy Club also...LOL I am the next guy, because modifying a " hot rod Chevy) though the years I have done since a young man, and I am not going to change. And rain be damned, just watch it going between gears not get too high in the RPM and get fishy as I can on dry pavement and drive.

And yes I always keep traction control on and Stabillitrac: I paid good money for them and if I wanted to drive a old one legged dog I can get that feeling from driving my work truck. Torque Management is dealt with.

Last edited by christianchevell; 06-02-2016 at 03:22 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #38
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Well damn, it's a Camaro, not a vintage Bugatti. I don't care to clean it anymore than the next guy, but if it rains, and I need to drive it, I drive it....stock GY's seem to be ok rain tires if speeds are kept within the limits.
LOL!!!!

Yup
Old 06-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #39
Cadillacbob22

Drives: 2015 camaro ss convertible 6spd man
My car... All year dd... Michigan winters...
26k miles a year.. I'm not saving it for someone.. 😀
Cadillacbob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #40
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I'm not gonna quote the whole paragraph above but I agree with him. In fact I drove mine to work today in a torrential downpour and the 315/35s Conti DW in the rear had no issue. If you bought your Camaro thinking that its value would remain high if you kept it low miles and out of the weather, you're wrong.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #41
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I take my truck if I have a choice although this time of year a thunderstorm can pop up in the afternoon around here.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #42
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I already have a Camaro (67 SS) that I don't drive. I bought this one to drive it. When it gets dirty, I wash it.
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote