Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Interesting, that is the first I ever heard of this one, and I have been following this forum for over 4 years now.

1st for me as well.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 12-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
well i try to change the oil every 4-5k miles if that makes any difference
Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
That's messed up that it has this many problems. I was looking at a V6 before I got my car and these timing chain issues are what drove me away from it. I lucked out in the long run but I feel bad for everyone that got screwed over with this engine.
Yeah, I believe the LFX is a more mature version and not as prone to this stuff so I think the newer V6 owners should be good to go.

Us earlier LLT owners have more to worry about which sucks. But there are owners on this site with high mileage V6s and haven't had any issues so can't say every one is a guaranteed problem. Great power and great efficency, but not a completely solid design in terms of reliability it seems.

But again, this is just all my opinion, but it is based on a lot of reading/research at least lol
Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Yeah, I believe the LFX is a more mature version and not as prone to this stuff so I think the newer V6 owners should be good to go.

Us earlier LLT owners have more to worry about which sucks. But there are owners on this site with high mileage V6s and haven't had any issues so can't say every one is a guaranteed problem. Great power and great efficency, but not a completely solid design in terms of reliability it seems.

But again, this is just all my opinion, but it is based on a lot of reading/research at least lol
The one I was looking at was an LFX, but I still didn't trust it with all the previous issues.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Interesting, that is the first I ever heard of this one, and I have been following this forum for over 4 years now.
There is a blown engine thread and the dealer found a worn valve guide and cylinder bore causing oil consumption.
If I remember correctly he had to fight them at first or pay for a tear down.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

If you look at TrueDelta, the Camaro V6 doesn't appear to have more common issues than a normal car. So, while there are definitely trends with the problems reported that we observe and are worried about, and likely indicate a less than perfect design, there are also relatively few people that have those problems. Look at the timing chain thread. The majority of posts in there are 'X miles, no problems' despite the timing chain being a "Known Issue"
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #21
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
What do you guys suggest doing to prevent these issues ?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
z928

Drives: 500SL, 928 GTS, E36 328
So people with the newer V6 LFX engine is ok? I'm just wondering.
z928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
Awill
Married

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
this is pretty interesting stuff. I never knew about any of this until now. I hope I don't have or will ever have any of these problems.
Awill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #24
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by z928 View Post
So people with the newer V6 LFX engine is ok? I'm just wondering.
I haven't heard of any issues with the LFX so it should be fine.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #25
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awill View Post
this is pretty interesting stuff. I never knew about any of this until now. I hope I don't have or will ever have any of these problems.
Change your oil regularly and ALWAYS use full synthetic.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #26
BryanS209

Drives: Bold
BURNS OIL NOT RUBBER!!!

I have a 2014 Camaro with the v6. I took it to the dealer last June at Approx 11K. The dealer performed an oil consumption test where they pull the dipstick every 1,000 miles X 6. The results showed I was burning 1 qt. every 1,000 miles. GM authorized the dealer to replace the PCV valve and valve cover. Was instructed to come in every 1,000 miles X6 for another oil consumption test. I was not happy about another test so I called on the California Bureau of automotive affairs. They told me that they have no jurisdiction over GM and advised me to continue the oil consumption test. He also told me that he still had to go see the dealer since I had contacted them. Ever since the dealer reports that the engine oil consumption is 1/2 qt. every 1,000 miles. Just finished the second oil consumption test and the dealer told me GM considers 1qt. every 2,000 miles normal. How convenient. When I asked the dealer and GM a year ago what is considered acceptable GM told me to ask the dealer and the dealer told me they didn't know. I will never buy a GM again. I have been advised that this issue causes premature O2 sensor failure as well as plugs up the catalytic converters and I have been told this Camaro has 4. I think I will get a rear window sticker that reads Burns Oil Not Rubber!! with a thumbs down to GM and the dealership. I may even seek legal counsel. Maybe do a little research to find out if there is a class action lawsuit against GM.
BryanS209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:12 AM   #27
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
I have 93k miles on my girl and not one issue so far. I will say every time I change the oil (every 6k miles) my oil catch can is half full sometimes but that's about it. As stated above, some are lucky and some aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2016, 05:50 AM   #28
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
I have a full stock LLT with 65K miles. No issues whatsoever. Use GM Dexos and change oil every 4K miles. No oil usage. Dexos has now been changed from synthetic blend to full synthetic, and will start to change oil at 5K intervals.

Tags
burn, oil, v-6