The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Dilemma-keep this 2nd dog or not?

In a bit of dilemma. Looking for some feedback from fellow Camaro brethren.

Girlfriend and I split about 4 months ago. She took her dog with her. I have mine. I’m 49, single, no kids but very active.

I was getting used to how much easier it was just to have one dog (mine is almost 15). He doesn’t like the car at all, so I take him for his little walks or push him in his doggy buggy and then he’s exhausted and sleeps and I can go out and do my thing. I’ll take the SS to the beach/boardwalks and go running, go bowling…whatever. Easy. Was even thinking after the heartbreaking day when he passes on, maybe I’ll take an extended hiatus from pet ownership…..maybe.

About 3wks ago, ex g/f said her dog is sad and peeing in the house and she’s not home 9+hrs a day and asked me to keep her for good. I wasn’t surprised to be honest b/c of her schedule. She lives paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford dog sitters or anything like that.

I work from home in my small 1BR/1BA condo now and when we were together for 3.5 yrs, I took care of the dogs probably 80% of the time (we had a bigger place). Her dog is very attached to me and she’s sweet except to new dogs.

I have to admit, I was really adapting to the one person, one dog lifestyle.

But instinctively/impulsively I said yes, I’ll take her. I didn’t think it through and went into my “people pleaser/me-to-the-rescue mode.

Her dog is only 4, has a LOT of energy and does like the car and behaves in it for the most part. But she also sheds (Chihuahua/Jack Russell) mix. She DOES irritate my sinuses some. Not a ton but some. I did test positive for cat/dog allergies. But I don’t usually need to take medication. My dog doesn’t shed (22lbs)

However, I don’t like running with her much as she gets distracted, hates other dogs…..it’s just more peaceful to run by myself. And like I said, I’m out a lot doing stuff.

So I basically walk both of them around here. I have to walk a lot more with the young one. But they get good walks and plenty of affection from me.

Then I put them in back in my condo and go do my thing…..take the SS and go wherever…weeknights I go to run meetup groups. I don’t want to leave the old one at home by himself so I don’t take the young one in the car. Plus, the SS is so nice….watching it get saturated with hair……sigh. I know vacuum it afterward....but in my experience...it only works so-so.

So I’m not one of those guys who takes their dogs with them when they go places. I leave them for a few hours or 4 hrs at most.

I have a friend who says a couple is interested in taking the young one. I’m torn b/c she’s a great little dog but at the same time, 2 dogs/1 person is a decent amount of work and of course it costs more. I’m torn whether to keep her or let this couple have her if they’re as great people as my friend suggests.

Plus when my dog passes on and I only have the young one, I don’t know if she can be at home alone. She’s very much a Velcro dog. My older dog is pretty independent.

Wonder if anyone was in the same predicament or similar or has any feedback for my indecisive a$$.

Thanks for reading.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
You answered your own question for the most part. That type of dog is smart which means it needs a lot of attention and I don't blame you for wanting to take a break after your dog passes. I would talk to the couple that is interested and tell them about the dog. The ex gf dog is used to u being home so it would be great if one of the people stay home or are willing to work with the dog to train it. If the couple doesn't work out I would give the dog back to your ex as it should not be your problem. Good Luck!
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
ask for Dog Support!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
You answered your own question for the most part. That type of dog is smart which means it needs a lot of attention and I don't blame you for wanting to take a break after your dog passes. I would talk to the couple that is interested and tell them about the dog. The ex gf dog is used to u being home so it would be great if one of the people stay home or are willing to work with the dog to train it. If the couple doesn't work out I would give the dog back to your ex as it should not be your problem. Good Luck!
I realized I posted this in the wrong forum, LOL. Meant to be Camaro6 but oh well.

Thanks for the reply. Only thing is I told her I'd take the dog and now I have her. I kind of feel like it's my problem now. It'd be another thing if I said no.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Not sure why you said you'd take the dog because it sounds like you don't want it. If you don't want something don't feel obligated to take it even if that something is a dog that used to live with you. If it was a biological child this would be a different discussion. You obviously don't want the dog, are allergic to the dog, and don't want to deal with it, so don't. Best thing is if you can find someone else to take it as a favor to her then go for it, otherwise pass.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Not sure why you said you'd take the dog because it sounds like you don't want it. If you don't want something don't feel obligated to take it even if that something is a dog that used to live with you. If it was a biological child this would be a different discussion. You obviously don't want the dog, are allergic to the dog, and don't want to deal with it, so don't. Best thing is if you can find someone else to take it as a favor to her then go for it, otherwise pass.
Agreed. Thanks.