#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #43
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I thought about this many times. But then I stopped thinking like a customer and started thinking like an actual manufacturer. Or what I think a manufacturer would be thinking. I doubt the LT4 would be a good engine in a heavy SUV. It isn't designed for it. It was designed specifically for the C7 Vette and it works great in the Camaro. I could imagine that they could try to fit it into a very small and light SUV. But I'm not sure that would be a good move. Plus they probably did testing and surveying and figured out that it would not be a wise idea. Or perhaps they are working on something. The Hellcat was around for quite a while before Dodge threw it in the Jeep. Maybe GM has something brewing that will surface in a couple years. Give it time. Also, it wouldn't be just competing with the Trackhawk. It'll also be competing against the X5M, X6M, Cayenne Turbo, etc. That would be a tough market and some really tough competition. As of right now the only thing Dodge has over those cars is HP. As far as luxury and features/options it falls way short. Perhaps GM doesn't want to enter that arena.
I dont see why gm cant detune the lt4 like in the ctsv, throw the a10 behind it, and make it rear wheel drive. Interior doesnt really matter. If you are getting a suburban/tahoe, itll have the top level interior. If they are super worried about heat... throw a detuned lt5 in. If it only runs 8lns of boost, and leans a little heavier on the port injection under load, i bet itll run forever. You dont need to have a tow rating of 15,000 lbs... they already make the drivetrain for the 6.2 and a10. I cant imagine its that difficult to produce. They could make it a package with the big brake kit. I bet theyd make a killing. They could also do the same with the escalade. Its free money available for the taking. Especially if they only manufactured a semi limited number to guarantee sales.
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #44
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 590_The_Judge View Post
I dont see why gm cant detune the lt4 like in the ctsv, throw the a10 behind it, and make it rear wheel drive. Interior doesnt really matter. If you are getting a suburban/tahoe, itll have the top level interior. If they are super worried about heat... throw a detuned lt5 in. If it only runs 8lns of boost, and leans a little heavier on the port injection under load, i bet itll run forever. You dont need to have a tow rating of 15,000 lbs... they already make the drivetrain for the 6.2 and a10. I cant imagine its that difficult to produce. They could make it a package with the big brake kit. I bet theyd make a killing. They could also do the same with the escalade. Its free money available for the taking. Especially if they only manufactured a semi limited number to guarantee sales.
To be quite honest, as much as I love the LT4 and think it is perfect for the Camaro, I think it would be terrible in a SUV. I would love for GM to make something performance oriented in a SUV or even a truck like they did many many years ago. But the LT4 would be a terrible choice. So would the LT5.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 AM   #45
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I think the CAFE standards are a big reason why they can’t just stick an LT4 in a pickup or SUV. They’d have to pay Uncle Sam a lot in fines because of the regulations.

Ridiculous !!!

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #46
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The answer to this eludes us all...It would make perfect sense to slam the LT4 into an SUV - I think it'd sell like hot cakes. The RST Tahoe/Suburban with the 6.2L option/brake upgrade alone is selling really well. GM is kind of missing out on the mid-size SUV/performance SUV world. Something to compete with Range Rover SVR, SRT Grand Cherokees, X6M/5M, etc...
I agree, GM is missing out and maybe they are creating one. When I owned my M3, and the first time I saw a X5-M. The back tires were huge compared to the regular X5. At the time the X5-M had 560hp and was a rocket compared to most other SUV's. Ford is eventually only going to make SUV's and trucks, save for the Mustang. SUV is where it is at. Lot's of room and handles more like a car and doesn't look like a station wagon. Then aftermarkets will have lowering kits out the kaazoo...

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #47
Cchief

Drives: 2017 Fifty 2SS Convertible
I am looking at one and a friend just said, what are you going to do with that extra power? so I decided to upgrade my 6 cyc. jeep to an SRT of which I had two of in the past. They are good daily drivers....the Trackhawk is priced $25000 over the SRT for several more ponies, not worth it, just an opinion.
Cchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #48
Ten4Lou

Drives: 2018 ZL1 NGM
Definitely a Compromise

To the OP, depends on your lifestyle. If you find yourself taxiing around more than one child or person on a regular basis, then something like the Jeep SRT or TH may be a better all around vehicle. However if it's just one person or child, I would stick with the ZL1.

If you want to have only one vehicle and you live where snow may be a factor, then TH would certainly be a better choice.

I have a vendor that takes us to lunch in his TH. It checks the box nicely on the straight line pull and he usually has us grinning, however that's the only thing that is equal to the Z in my experience. All other aspects that I look for in a sporty daily driver are definitely a compromise in the TH from the Z.

TH has a bigger SUV interior, which diminishes the extreme cockpit feel of the Z. That SUV type interior has more air inside and you get that bigger "bassy" percussion sound when going over bumps or driving on rough roads that I hate. I also don't like the way I slide around in the TH and have to hold on to the door or center console in the sharp turns. The TH can't touch the way the Z holds the driver and passenger securely in place pushing into the corners...Z is awesome!

When it comes to pushing the envelope of sporty driving, which is what keeps me from getting bored with a vehicle, the TH is definitely a compromise...just as you stated.

I have one son who's married and other in college, so it's usually just my wife and I. We take the Z EVERYWHERE! Believe it or not, it has never failed as our grocery getter either

I daily drive my Z and have a truck for bad weather days. TH is an awesome SUV , but I have too many "sporty performance" boxes that the TH falls short of checking.
Ten4Lou is offline   Reply With Quote