Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #57
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
That's actually incorrect. The regular ZL1 is still very stiff compared to many cars, and rides way stiffer than a base model Camaro does with the same 20" wheels/ tires.
Not what I've heard. I've heard a ZL1 with the mag shocks in tour mode rides as good or better than a stock Camaro on 20s.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #58
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
It doesn't. Tour mode isn't that much softer overall than track, although it is a bit less harsh on impacts. It's really the high spring rate, stiff anti-roll bars, and low profile tires that make it bumpy even in Tour mode. Uneven roads, railroad tracks, etc are what really make the car uncomfortable, not one-off bumps.

Stock V6 or SS Camaros ride much better than SS 1LE or ZL1 of any kind.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #59
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Someone else already said it: tires...just changed mine for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the ride is much more smooth
Attached Images

SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #60
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
It doesn't. Tour mode isn't that much softer overall than track, although it is a bit less harsh on impacts. It's really the high spring rate, stiff anti-roll bars, and low profile tires that make it bumpy even in Tour mode. Uneven roads, railroad tracks, etc are what really make the car uncomfortable, not one-off bumps.

^ This is 100% correct. The only way you would know is if you've spent extended periods of time in both a base ZL1 as well as a base V6 Camaro and an SS (non 1LE) on 20s. Some will say putting non-runflats on a ZL1 will help tremendously. The correct statement is that they will help, by maybe 10%. Which is measurable! Always nice to go from harsh to slightly less harsh. But the car will never ride as nicely as a V6 or non 1LE SS. The mag ride even in tour modes rides significantly firmer than a non mag ride car. The same goes for the C7 Corvette. Take a base C7 Corvette (non mag ride) and compare it to another base C7 (with mag ride) and the difference is very significant. Even in tour mode the mag ride car is noticeably firmer.
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #61
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
^ This is 100% correct. The only way you would know is if you've spent extended periods of time in both a base ZL1 as well as a base V6 Camaro and an SS (non 1LE) on 20s. Some will say putting non-runflats on a ZL1 will help tremendously. The correct statement is that they will help, by maybe 10%. Which is measurable! Always nice to go from harsh to slightly less harsh. But the car will never ride as nicely as a V6 or non 1LE SS. The mag ride even in tour modes rides significantly firmer than a non mag ride car. The same goes for the C7 Corvette. Take a base C7 Corvette (non mag ride) and compare it to another base C7 (with mag ride) and the difference is very significant. Even in tour mode the mag ride car is noticeably firmer.
SS 1LE and regular ZL1's have non-runflat G3's...the G3R's on the ZL1 1LE are non-runflat as well.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #62
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
Someone else already said it: tires...just changed mine for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the ride is much more smooth
Definitely doing this! Thanks!

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #63
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
For every car, on every website, people always rationalize the ride, whether it's an Aventador, a 599 GTO, GT-R NISMO and on and on. As manufacturers are pushing these faster and faster, the suspension isn't necessarily getting more compliant, there are a few unique ones, but the majority of the fastest street-legal cars are going to ride pretty harsh, but rest assured there'll be someone that says "it's not that bad and I can DD it".

I'm not saying the ZL1 1LE is bad, just that if you went off what the internet says, every high end street-legal race car would be compliant enough for DD.
But EVERY CAR IS compliant enough for DD depending on what that person has grown accustomed to.

What many call "bone jarring" I call fun.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #64
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Hate the internet sometimes...There is an extensive ride comparison FELT between tour & track. Every passenger I've demonstrated this to is extremely impressed. Even more so when they actually drive & also FEEL the steering changes. Is it ACTUALLY changing the dynamics of the capable steering capacity?? Who cares, it's FELT & that all that matters in this case. Hell, my wife will even comment if I forget to change the setting to tour. Maybe I should tell her there is no difference now??

Guess some just like to bicker?? How many here go to the road course & set the suspension to tour for the weekend?? Good grief...the mag ride is outstanding for the applications & still someone always wants to pick the fly shit out of the pepper??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #65
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
ZL1 1LE has run flats.. they go flat, you run for help

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #66
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post

I notice an immediate and noticeable change in firmness between even Tour and Sport on my ZL1. Track is even more noticeable. Maybe the tuning is different on the SS, but I’ve always been very impressed with how much of a difference the mag ride seems to make on the Z.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:23 PM   #67
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Hate the internet sometimes...There is an extensive ride comparison FELT between tour & track. Every passenger I've demonstrated this to is extremely impressed. Even more so when they actually drive & also FEEL the steering changes. Is it ACTUALLY changing the dynamics of the capable steering capacity?? Who cares, it's FELT & that all that matters in this case. Hell, my wife will even comment if I forget to change the setting to tour. Maybe I should tell her there is no difference now??

Guess some just like to bicker?? How many here go to the road course & set the suspension to tour for the weekend?? Good grief...the mag ride is outstanding for the applications & still someone always wants to pick the fly shit out of the pepper??
The thing is that Tour and Track don't change the anti-sways. When you have something with anti-sways as big and stiff as this, it's going to ride pretty rough over anything where there's a bump on one side.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #68
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The thing is that Tour and Track don't change the anti-sways. When you have something with anti-sways as big and stiff as this, it's going to ride pretty rough over anything where there's a bump on one side.
Great point; Especially when considering that the DSSV suspension in the ZLE is (as mlee has pointed out) hard mounted and is not adjustable (ride height and camber withstanding). It does not matter what mode your Z is in, your suspension dampening will not change by electronic adjustment. However, that consistency and adaptability is the beauty of Multimatic's creation.

From my point of view, the suspension on this car is sublime. To quote the manufacturer, “DSSV dampers use precision spool valve technology to deliver the highest level of damper predictability, accuracy and repeatability in regulating oil flow and thus, damper curves". In my experience (FWIW) DSSV in the ZLE is the most predictable and quick settling set up that I have ever driven. The grip/handling potential of hard mounted DSSV on the ZL1/Alpha platform is what solidified my decision to purchase this car.

On the Camaro ZLE, there are two spool valves per damper, one controlling compression, one rebound(see pic). The DSSV dampers are specifically engineered/tuned and piston mounted for the ZL1 1LE. The suspension is vehicle specific (awesome right?). DSSV is lighter, stiffer and faster than mag ride.

There is no substitute for proper research. Please check with your doctor, pharmacist, wife, kids or mommy before committing to the purchase of this car. ZLE for most, is not an optimum DD. It is however, IMH[umble]O a world class sports car and behaves as such.

Yes, the ZLE is a track focused car. With that said; Given the extensive array of creature comforts that abound in this car, it is obviously not a track only car. It is pretty darn awesome on the street too...that is if you've done your research and know what to expect.

Al and his team of Cam6 engineers were very clear on that when the car was originally released.

I don't travel in their circles; Perhaps the owners of Ford GT, Mercedes AMG GT, Aston Martin One-77 and Koenigsegg One, equipped with DSSV to name just a few, are better(?) researched (most certainly have more disposable income) and grumble less than us working class Camaro owners.

Disclaimer; I am truly blessed with faith, a loving family, a beautiful wife, health and a home with something very special in the garage. With that said; Sometimes my wife loves riding in the Camaro. Sometimes, not so much. Personally, my ZLE fills me up full time. I love it every time I get behind the wheel or pass by it in my garage on the way to my lawnmower, toolbox or DD.

My ZLE is obviously not a DD. Although I know that it works for some, I would not recommend this car for a daily, grocery getting or taking the kids to school.

OP, with no disrespect intended; I struggle to understand why you would want to tame the beast.

Sorry for the rant. Let the hate fest begin.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/images/attach/png.gif
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #69
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
OP, i think youll just have to bite the bullet and take the wifes car for family stuff. I did notice an improvement with a tire change at 40 miles (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), but the wife still doesnt really like it. We have just the two cars, and i cant see buying another just to haul the family around when we have hers (2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.7 hemi). My little guy loves the camaro.

My eldest recently bought a 2018 SS 1LE, and i really cant stand that car (not talking about LT1 vs LT4, just driving/suspension impressions). Everything is just a bit squishy. Whether its steering, suspension, initial turn in... its all missing the crsipness the ZL1 1LE has. I was worried when i ordered the car since i was unable to test drive (dealer wasnt even letting people test the normal ZL1), but i know now i would never be happy with the MR setup.

Just not my thing. To each their own.
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #70
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 590_The_Judge View Post
OP, i think youll just have to bite the bullet and take the wifes car for family stuff. I did notice an improvement with a tire change at 40 miles (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), but the wife still doesnt really like it. We have just the two cars, and i cant see buying another just to haul the family around when we have hers (2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.7 hemi). My little guy loves the camaro.

My eldest recently bought a 2018 SS 1LE, and i really cant stand that car (not talking about LT1 vs LT4, just driving/suspension impressions). Everything is just a bit squishy. Whether its steering, suspension, initial turn in... its all missing the crsipness the ZL1 1LE has. I was worried when i ordered the car since i was unable to test drive (dealer wasnt even letting people test the normal ZL1), but i know now i would never be happy with the MR setup.

Just not my thing. To each their own.
Most of the "squishy" in the SS 1LE is the rear cradle bushings. I replaced mine with the ZL1 1LE solid cradle bushings and it is a lot more accurate now. Still now as stiff as the DSSV's of the ZLE though shock wise

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote