Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #169
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Would race mode be the recommended setting if one was to drag race a 1le at the strip since it has a "drag" designated launch control? And would the traction control on race mode be invasive enough to be detrimental at the drag strip? If anyone has some info/experience on this it would help.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #170
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Would race mode be the recommended setting if one was to drag race a 1le at the strip since it has a "drag" designated launch control? And would the traction control on race mode be invasive enough to be detrimental at the drag strip? If anyone has some info/experience on this it would help.
Zero experience at a strip with this car. PTM Race is supposed to work in concert with launch control so it should be fine but if youre spinning tires youre not going fwd You may also try Comp Mode. It gives you full access to power with NO traction control but Stabikitrak is on which shouldnt mattef at a strip anyway. Id try them both.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #171
TrackClub

Dear Mods could we please make this a sticky. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 AM   #172
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Dear Mods could we please make this a sticky. Thank you!
+1.

TrackClub and this thread were extremely helpful in helping me to understand and gain proficiency with Dmodes and PTM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #173
TrackClub

Thanks for your kind words! I am getting a bit tired having to send a link vs just pointing folks to a sticky
Cheers!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #174
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Zero experience at a strip with this car. PTM Race is supposed to work in concert with launch control so it should be fine but if youre spinning tires youre not going fwd You may also try Comp Mode. It gives you full access to power with NO traction control but Stabikitrak is on which shouldnt mattef at a strip anyway. Id try them both.
I actually used comp mode when I made a pass at the strip. Just wondering if anyone knew of any advantages associated with the drag launch control in race mode. I assume it adjusts the launch control for a stickier surface. Great and helpful thread btw.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #175
TrackClub

Thanks! I suppose most folks here take their 1le's to tiad courses vs strips. But if i were you id post a separate thread and ask the question there.

Btw thank you Mods for making this a sticky! Cheers!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #176
HouseStark

Does anyone know if swapping tires affects how the computer handles throttle control and the other aids? I am really interested in putting Toyo R888R's on my SS 1LE but still learning all the drive modes and what they do. My only complaint is how terrible the throttle response. I'll admit it does feel miles better in Comp Mode but I was just thinking how the extra grip of those tires might effect the computer modulation in certain modes
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #177
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Does anyone know if swapping tires affects how the computer handles throttle control and the other aids? I am really interested in putting Toyo R888R's on my SS 1LE but still learning all the drive modes and what they do. My only complaint is how terrible the throttle response. I'll admit it does feel miles better in Comp Mode but I was just thinking how the extra grip of those tires might effect the computer modulation in certain modes
Not sure why the complaint about a throttle response - I have none in PTM Race when on a road course.
Don't believe tire type would affect how PTM calibration works regarding TC as some folks use full slicks with equally good results in both PTM and all off. I'd think stickier tires would lead to less slip per se - hence less TC intervention (assuming one doesn't just gun the throttle). Stabilitrak would be unaffected as it engages according to yaw angles only. Hope this helps?
PS Don't expect miracles from 888Rs. Regardless of tread rating (which is highly subjective imo) stock G3s are plenty grippy as evidenced by numerous figure 8 and skid pad tests posted by various mags. Personally i rate them virtually on par with RE71R and Cup2.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #178
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Not sure why the complaint about a throttle response - I have none in PTM Race when on a road course.
Don't believe tire type would affect how PTM calibration works regarding TC as some folks use full slicks with equally good results in both PTM and all off. I'd think stickier tires would lead to less slip per se - hence less TC intervention (assuming one doesn't just gun the throttle). Stabilitrak would be unaffected as it engages according to yaw angles only. Hope this helps?
PS Don't expect miracles from 888Rs. Regardless of tread rating (which is highly subjective imo) stock G3s are plenty grippy as evidenced by numerous figure 8 and skid pad tests posted by various mags. Personally i rate them virtually on par with RE71R and Cup2.

Agreed - My NT01's were not much faster than than OEM tires however lasted much longer for consistent times and much less wear. I have 1 full day on my SC3's and they've worn about the equivalent of 3.5 full days of NT01. They are worth about 2 seconds around sebring (3 mile course) and just about 1 second around barber (2.4 mile course). Lap time consistency was the main difference between the two, but the SC3's are really good for the price, and what they are.

Regarding the PTM, i did not notice any difference in intervention between the NT01's and SC3's. I will report back when my slicks go on as well on this topic.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #179
HouseStark

Quote:
This helped a lot thank you!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #180
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Agreed - My NT01's were not much faster than than OEM tires however lasted much longer for consistent times and much less wear. I have 1 full day on my SC3's and they've worn about the equivalent of 3.5 full days of NT01. They are worth about 2 seconds around sebring (3 mile course) and just about 1 second around barber (2.4 mile course). Lap time consistency was the main difference between the two, but the SC3's are really good for the price, and what they are.

Regarding the PTM, i did not notice any difference in intervention between the NT01's and SC3's. I will report back when my slicks go on as well on this topic.

Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm keeping stock 20 1le's for now but wanted to go to 19's and tires
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #181
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm keeping stock 20 1le's for now but wanted to go to 19's and tires
I think the main benefit of 19s would be to run RS4s which are similar in pace to others (G3s, RE71R etc) but wear like iron and hence outlast them all easily. Provoste likes them tons. Many enduro racers also use them due to their longevity. For pure pace 18s are best as they permit one to run slicks (either new or take offs). The gain in lap times here is significant, read: seconds. They also lower the gearing ratios.

But for anyone using the car as a true dual purpose car, stockers or RE71R (in 295 square on stock rims) is proly a best bet imo. Where i live G3s are super affordable vs all the rest hence that's my go to tire (having tried 2 others and not gained any pace). If RE71R were cheaper then I'd go with them. But they do cost more. Do note that after yrs of swapping wheels at a track and then yrs of trailing my car, i have gone back to simple logistics of just arriving and driving. Easy peasy lol! Funny how we come a full circle sometimes Cheers!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 AM   #182
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
I think the main benefit of 19s would be to run RS4s which are similar in pace to others (G3s, RE71R etc) but wear like iron and hence outlast them all easily. Provoste likes them tons. Many enduro racers also use them due to their longevity. For pure pace 18s are best as they permit one to run slicks (either new or take offs). The gain in lap times here is significant, read: seconds. They also lower the gearing ratios.

But for anyone using the car as a true dual purpose car, stockers or RE71R (in 295 square on stock rims) is proly a best bet imo. Where i live G3s are super affordable vs all the rest hence that's my go to tire (having tried 2 others and not gained any pace). If RE71R were cheaper then I'd go with them. But they do cost more. Do note that after yrs of swapping wheels at a track and then yrs of trailing my car, i have gone back to simple logistics of just arriving and driving. Easy peasy lol! Funny how we come a full circle sometimes Cheers!
295-30-20, or 295-35-30?

Thanks
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote