Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I still run 5w30. 119K miles.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Bronze trunnion upgrade....
Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Sounds like a exhaust leak to me.

Sounds like a exhaust leak to me. When I put on my Kooks headers they gave me aluminum gaskets. I was sceptical about using them but they worked great!
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:22 AM   #18
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have a similar tick that decided to show its face one day. I was driving next to a retaining wall and heard it. Not knowing what it was and not being able to pinpoint the source I decided to tear it down and find out if I could find the source.
I replaced the lifters (and with a Whipple this is no easy task) checked the cam while the heads were off, checked the valve to piston clearance and the valve springs and did not find anything. I replaced the valve trunions and guess what. Upon startup the tick was still there. The car has 10,000 miles, 4 with the build. I have purchased a stethoscope to find the source or at least help find it, but with all the noise under the hood it is impossible by ear alone. I suspect it may be an injector going bad as I have gotten some lean run codes. I love a challenge.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:24 AM   #19
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
10w30 is not going to hurt . In the winter it might take an unnoticeable amount of power to for the pump to push.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:25 AM   #20
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #21
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
LOL ..... dude tears his engine down from a tick he heard by a retaining wall...that's the LS tick from roller lifters, even in stock form unmodified it would have a small amount of tick its trying to mask with a dirty insulated engine cover deflecting the noise down.

'Pattern pilot .....I suggest you make a appointment to spend $550 at Wongs performance engineering in Vancouver and take the time and money some day to make sure you don't grenade.....Last time I had him retune after my initial build of my new engine I had to wait on a new corvette with a blower that was supposedly tuned well by the installer who had to most likely have a hand held? Tommy netted him like 150 hp to the wheels while making sure he did not have a waiting to choke from overly rich or grenade form overly lean condition engine. BTW my noticeable tick goes mostly away when the engine is warmed up and the parts expand, and of course I can hear it next to anything reflecting sound; my last engine was quieter as in the preload, preload can be altered to make the noise less noticeable but it may be its safer with the tick than without. AND BTW the guy drove trailering his vette from Bend Or to get there first thing in the morning after most likely waiting a couple months....yes that booked.

http://www.wongsperformance.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Wongs-Perfo...-115667950915/
Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #22
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
I run 7.5 or so quarts in mine. Its quieter. I put 7 quarts in the pan and fill the filter up before install. Lots of people do this.
Try this for louder than usual lifter tick. I did and it helped to quiet a bad lifter after I had a valve spring break

A ceramic coating or header wrap MAY help but I doubt it. If it's that bad put the stock manifolds back on
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #23
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I had the classic sewing machine noise at stock, it only got louder when I got rid of the cast iron manifolds

idk why anyone is talking about tearing your motor down to find what's causing some valvetrain noise that's pretty normal in all cars. It made valvetrain noise when I got it at 19K, and it still makes the same racket.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Valve train noise is the nature of the beast with a pushrod V8, especially in an aluminum engine running c/r's like ours. You might have an issue when there is a single, specific tick louder than the normal sound. This is when you put a stethoscope to the top end and try to hear which cylinder is louder than the others. Keep in mind also that a leak from the header gasket will cause a similar pronounced tick. You can use a piece of vacuum hose, or pull the rod from your stethoscope to listen for the exhaust leak.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #25
mikey00

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have the same tick its normal. Enjoy the car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460139

mikey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
Daniel6210

Drives: 2010 camaro maroon ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Hey Daniel, I can hear at the end of the video something like "I do not want this shit"

Seriously, don't worry so much about the sound. It really is part of owning an LS engine. Short of completely rebuilding your valvetrain, there is little you can do to completely eliminate this. Even then, there is no guarantee you will make it go away totally.

There is nothing wrong with the car, and as others have said, it is normal for the LS engine to sound like a sewing machine.

I have learned to live with my valvetrain noise and kind of wear it like a badge of honor.
Correction i said i dont want the dip (i was filming in a drivethru at arbys)
Daniel6210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #27
Daniel6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Try this for louder than usual lifter tick. I did and it helped to quiet a bad lifter after I had a valve spring break

A ceramic coating or header wrap MAY help but I doubt it. If it's that bad put the stock manifolds back on
My headers are already coated.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #28
Daniel6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
ur car sounds amazing man!!!!

Tags
exhaust, noise, sound, tick, valvetrain