Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Replaced HID Bulbs, Just not feelin it

So after 6 years my stock HID bulbs were getting a little pink on start-up... a sign they are starting to go. So I ordered new OSRAM Sylvania D1s bulbs and installed them. 4300k, same as stock. They still seemed a bit dim, so just for the fun of it I ordered some 6000k AliExpress bulbs for $16 a pair. I've had great luck with their LED headlight options on my other cars. Color was a little nicer but still the same dimmness. No defined upper line when driving. I know the Camaro HID are all 35 watt, but what gives? Maybe I'm spoiled with the LED headlight upgrades in our other cars. I'm probably going to go back to the 4300k just so they are better in the rain / fog. The DRL's shown are LED from AliExpress. Very pleased with these.
Attached Images

Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I went diode dynamics. Pricer, but really like them...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Ive heard that the issue is the reflector in the back of the projector goes to shit and pits and peels in the 10-13's. So even with new bulbs, they will never be as bright as when the car itself was brand new. Its a shame...

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Lacpac

That's interesting, because the defined line I use to see seems to be more vague. I have a 2015 Ford Escape that I replaced the halogen headlamps with LED's costing $32 a pair and they are stinkin white and bright, and I've had them for a while now, same with the fog/driving lights. I'm pretty disappointed with the Camaro projectors. as far as HID bulbs go, the OSRAM sylvania bulbs should be bright. Other U.S. marketed bulbs are manufactured in China, which I'm sure are vetted for quality, but nonetheless they are Chinese. We are dissmissing their quality the same way we did Hyundai back in 2000. China is the next Korea when it comes to product acceptance in the USA. I think you have some valid points on the reflectors having poor quality. I don't think spending $160 on a pair of different bulbs will make a difference.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Lacpac

I stand corrected! Noticed tonight as my wife drove behind me. The Chinese bulbs did not have the same consistent brightness as the Osram bulbs. The drivers side was dimmer. I wrote to seller to see if they will replace one. So yes, the $89 a pair Osram bulbs are much better than the $16 a pair Safeco bulbs from China.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
UV light emitted from the bulbs themselves, UV light from our sun, and sandblasting during highway drives, will degrade your housing, significantly reducing the lumens output of the bulb, no matter how good the bulb.

Yes, some housings in other cars last longer than others.

An ideal housing, would be glass(never fades in UV) and covered with an invisible shield, and real chrome (even black chrome) that never flakes, for the inside of the housing.

Unfortunately, crash tests, pedestrian safety tests, weight, costs, and God knows what else, won’t allow this.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I went Diode Dynamics also. American made in the great baseball town of St. Louis, Missouri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
I ordered a set of OSRAM Sylvania D1s bulbs several years ago and the difference was great. Maybe you got a bad pair or and fake.