The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 06-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
Does the LT1 have 2 cats or four??

There is a question on another thread about the exhaust system. I am curious to know whether the 6.2 liter comes with two required catalytic converters and two resonators just behind them, or are all four cats. Like many other 6 Gen owners I would like to upgrade my exhaust and don’t want to loose my warranty over this upgrade.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
They are all four cats to make the car legal in all 50 states.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Mosaic6SS

You may be correct but I’d like to hear from the the engineering team or one of the representatives. Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic6SS View Post
You may be correct but I’d like to hear from the the engineering team or one of the representatives. Thanks
Ok, but you can look under the car and see for yourself. There are 4 cats total. Two of them have pre and post-cat O2 sensors to comply with OBD2 standards. The downstream 2 cats aren't measured for efficiency by the ECU.

Chevrolet also put the Camaro6 on it's side [like the photo] at most major auto shows during its 2016 model year debut. So if you've been to any major auto show, you've seen it for yourself.

A very quick google search shows plenty of pictures of stock exhausts:
Old 06-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Ok, but you can look under the car and see for yourself. There are 4 cats total. Two of them have pre and post-cat O2 sensors to comply with OBD2 standards. The downstream 2 cats aren't measured for efficiency by the ECU.

Chevrolet also put the Camaro6 on it's side [like the photo] at most major auto shows during its 2016 model year debut. So if you've been to any major auto show, you've seen it for yourself.

A very quick google search shows plenty of pictures of stock exhausts:
I have and my opinion is those are resonators. Just looking for a factual answer from the folks that engineered the car and not just opinions.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I have and my opinion is those are resonators. Just looking for a factual answer from the folks that engineered the car and not just opinions.
It took my secondary cats off my car personally. You can see the catalyst “honeycomb” material inside! They are most certainly not resonators.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
It took my secondary cats off my car personally. You can see the catalyst “honeycomb” material inside! They are most certainly not resonators.
Do you have any pics of this? GM only list two catalytic converters for the SS. Maybe it’s a different style resonator.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Do you have any pics of this? GM only list two catalytic converters for the SS. Maybe it’s a different style resonator.
Sorry, I launched them along with the rest of the stock exhaust. With nearly 30 years of automotive experience, I can tell you with great certainty that they are NOT resonators. FYI, manufacturers do not put expensive catalyst material in a resonator...

The second converters are part of the “Muffler and pipe” full assembly. They are not listed separately because the secondary cats are welded into the entire pipe assembly. If you need to replace the secondary cats, you simply buy the assembly. Since it’s not a serviceable part, it’s not listed as such. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist...
Old 06-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The 5th gen Camaro had secondary cats, the C7 Corvette with the LT1 has secondary cats. Secondary cats are nothing new in GM or any other brand.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The 5th gen Camaro had secondary cats, the C7 Corvette with the LT1 has secondary cats. Secondary cats are nothing new in GM or any other brand.
I am looking for facts from the engineering team. I stated it’s my opinion and not a fact. This is my last reply to anyone other than the Camaro Team because another fact is you could be wrong.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I think you misunderstand how "Ask the Camaro Team" works. Not every question posted will be answered as stated in the "Ground Rules and Suggestions":

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508397

I get that some of the information presented on an Internet forum is incorrect. I have no idea if your question will be selected and presented to the Camaro team. Here is the first of a series of discussions about the 6th Gen exhaust system from one of many aftermarket exhaust vendors. This may help answer your question while you wait for a formal reply from the Camaro team.

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...system-review/
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Dude give it up, they are cats
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I think you misunderstand how "Ask the Camaro Team" works. Not every question posted will be answered as stated in the "Ground Rules and Suggestions":

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508397

I get that some of the information presented on an Internet forum is incorrect. I have no idea if your question will be selected and presented to the Camaro team. Here is the first of a series of discussions about the 6th Gen exhaust system from one of many aftermarket exhaust vendors. This may help answer your question while you wait for a formal reply from the Camaro team.

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...system-review/
Oh ok gotcha thanks.

I just got off the phone with two different GM dealerships and the just told me those cat like items on the exhaust are not catalytic converters. The both said that this vehicle only has a total of two catalytic converts on the exhaust.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
So now you believe the dealership and accept them as engineers
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote