Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Car Show judges

We were judges at today’s car show........won’t do that again.
Attached Images

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Why's that?
Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
BAD DAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Why's that?
The show had to many different types of cars without enough categories to offer trophies.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
Old 05-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
^^ True. 5th Gen Camaros don't deserve a trophy when competing against 30 & 40 year
old cars. Unless there's a 5th generation class you shouldn't expect a trophy imo.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Mike14bumblebee

Drives: 2014 yellow 2SS/RS
Same with putting 5th gens and 6 gens in the same category as a show I went to in the past did that.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
myold88

When these cars were new 10 years ago, guys were taking them to shows and getting
trophies. I suggested they send them GM. I got a lot of shit for that here. Most here
have no idea what goes into restoring or just maintaining an antique car. I've been in
the antique car hobby for 40+ years. Believe me, new cars don't deserve trophies
just for a few bolt on mods, they just don't.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Quicksilver-SS

Drives: 2014 1SS / RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
When these cars were new 10 years ago, guys were taking them to shows and getting
trophies. I suggested they send them GM. I got a lot of shit for that here. Most here
have no idea what goes into restoring or just maintaining an antique car. I've been in
the antique car hobby for 40+ years. Believe me, new cars don't deserve trophies
just for a few bolt on mods, they just don't.
Agreed, We have 3 classic cars, the newest is a 67 Camaro Vert.
I usually attend shows for cars at least 25 years old.
I belong to a classic chevy club and we had our annual charity car show this weekend, open to American made and 25 plus years or older.
We have started to allow older non US made but has to have an American engine in it.
Leave the newer stuff to the Cars and Coffee bunch.
I like taking our old stuff to those and showing the Mustang and Challenger and import crowd what it's all about.
Many of those guys never see the classic stuff.
Quicksilver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
BAD DAB

Quote:
^^ True. 5th Gen Camaros don't deserve a trophy when competing against 30 & 40 year
old cars. Unless there's a 5th generation class you shouldn't expect a trophy imo.
It had nothing to do with the classification of the 5th Gen. (They belong in New Muscle category) The problem was we had to judge everything from cars with 30” wheels, vintage cars, trucks, vintage and new imports, very nice 60s and 70s muscle cars. There were plenty of great looking cars that people had put plenty of time and effort into. Even the ones with 30” wheels. (Which should have had it’s own category. To many styles of cars and not enough categories.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
I’m not much of a showing the auto type person myself and would rather be at a race track, but I do occasionally go to a car show specially to meet up with friends and have a good time while looking at nice automobiles.

I have to agree to disagree with some of the comments regarding newer cars and trophies etc. there is no way on earth any possibility of comparing a vintage automobile to a modern automobile! We can all agree on that; however, if you don’t accept the younger car people or newer cars and give recognition for their work than you simply won’t have much of any automobile shows in the future.

I am an automobile lover of pretty much anything with a motor myself and can totally appreciate a vehicle if someone put time, thought, money, blood sweat and tears etc. if the vehicle is stock I can appreciate that to.

I wouldn’t want to ever have to judge any car show and definitely give big props to OP for doing that. Certainly not easy to do.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Believe me, new cars don't deserve trophies just for a few bolt on mods, they just don't.
3 years ago, I was at a car show with the 68.

I got second place to a BRAND NEW Challenger, thing still had the new registration paper taped to the back window.

Literally just bought it and drove it to a car show and beat my 1st gen.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #11
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
3 years ago, I was at a car show with the 68.

I got second place to a BRAND NEW Challenger, thing still had the new registration paper taped to the back window.

Literally just bought it and drove it to a car show and beat my 1st gen.
That's sad, As I said above, that trophy should have been sent to Chrysler Corp.
There's also politics involved. My fully restored near prefect Olds 88 2 door lost
to a couple no nothing beaters once. The judge was buddies with those owners.
I was pissed but what could i do?
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
At the Chevy Nationals, I'm considered a "celebrity judge" each year (because of the club that I run). We get to give a judge's choice award and plaque to any car on the showfield. I like to find the super clean examples of just a nice car, with a good story, and polite owners. I love talking to the owners about the history of the car.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
I never shown a car but enjoy the shows. I don't understand new cars entering and especially winning. I really enjoy the classics when at a show and usually walk right past the new stuff. If I wanted to look at new cars would go to the dealership. Just my $.02
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #14
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Here’s the problem I see with the argument you guys are making. I always go to car shows and things of that nature and hear gentlemen saying things like “young people just aren’t interested in cars anymore.” Well the fact of the matter is that young people are just as interested in cars, but excluding young people and their new cars from car shows only pushes them away from the hobby and divides it into groups which I believe is the opposite of what needs to happen. There are certainly plenty of new cars that are deserving trophies at shows. People sink a lot of time and money into new cars just as people do the same for classics. Just my .02
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote