Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #43
hudson773
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
What's that got to do with anything? HURST wins the factor all day long!
where did you learn how to count? the American journalism foundation?
hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #44
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan918 View Post
Interesting. Is the install as much of a PITA as it looks. Looks a little daunting for just a shifter.
It took me 3 hours on jackstands in my garage. Wasnt horrible. I think putting on heads by yourself is way harder.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #45
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Dumbest comment on this thread...
Why? It’s as scientific as anything else here - Hurst is not a good shifter when one drives hard. Your video does nothing but cement my theory.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #46
DMan918

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
It took me 3 hours on jackstands in my garage. Wasnt horrible. I think putting on heads by yourself is way harder.
Did you actually drop the trans up to gain access? That alone would probably make me pass on changing.

Last edited by DMan918; 10-25-2020 at 06:28 AM.
DMan918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #47
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Did you actually lift the trans up to gain access? That alone would probably make me pass on changing.
Watch the video on MGW, doesn’t look like a bad install. One step looks blind because it is on top of the transmission but the rest looked doable.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #48
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Why? It’s as scientific as anything else here - Hurst is not a good shifter when one drives hard. Your video does nothing but cement my theory.

Lol, scientific he says...

Is that really you in that pic of your avatar? You okay bro?

Why don't you post a video up and show us the scientific difference? Put up or shut up...

The problem with your scientific theory is that I drive hard all the time... I love the shifts and the car shifts just fine, better than stock.

That video you saw is not me driving hard... its just me driving. Its sorry you don't know the difference.

Last edited by Spec; 10-24-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #49
DMan918

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible 6MT
Most people going with the mgw knob or are there better options? Seems like I can sell my hurst with knob for a pretty penny that would offset a good chunk of the cost so I may go ahead and do this.
DMan918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #50
Gstick

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
I don't have a dog in this hunt as I still use the OEM 1LE shifter, but by researching, it seems that the MGW is in a class above everything else.
Gstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #51
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstick View Post
I don't have a dog in this hunt as I still use the OEM 1LE shifter, but by researching, it seems that the MGW is in a class above everything else.

It absolutely might be, from my perspective too. I don't have a dog in this hunt or race either lol.

Simply, I and many here have a HURST. They like it and don't justify the need to switch to the MGW... some might, but its not going to be a day/night difference when driving between the two. YES - YOU CAN DRIVE THE CAR HARD WITH BOTH AND ENJOY THE RIDE. Trust me lol.

I love the look of the HURST. Its gorgeous in my eyes. I recommend it just as well... but with a HEAVY SHIFT KNOB. Otherwise, as mentioned, it sucks.

Luckily I was able to fix my issue with it when I got it early on BEFORE the MGW was a thing. Those that have it can too. Those that like the look - there's hope for a very nice shifter with the HURST.

Just my two cents... scientifically speaking lol
Old 10-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #52
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Most people going with the mgw knob or are there better options? Seems like I can sell my hurst with knob for a pretty penny that would offset a good chunk of the cost so I may go ahead and do this.

I'd love to see a video of someone driving their car with an MGW, like the vid I posted. Previous vids I've seen show the car off, the shifter moving. Not the car running.

Cosmetically, it might be an acquired taste. Again, I love the look of the HURST much more. But the MGW might be a better shifter when the car is moving... I don't know.

Convince me and others to switch. Tell me why its worth dishing out a few more hundred dollars for a stick that may or may not give me a bigger advantage. I always love making this car better than what it was before...

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2020, 10:05 PM   #53
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post

Hey bud... so didn't really mean to blast you earlier. Your original comment really was a knuckle head comment tho.

Crazy enough... I was just browsing through amazon for some new door kickplates and came upon the HURST shifter again, ha...

Here's the link;

https://www.amazon.com/Hurst-3916030...evrolet+Camaro

I started readings some of the comments and reviews and thought of you. Check em out.

All I am saying to you and those like you is that the MGW may be top notch. Sure... go for it!... But the HURST ain't no slouch. Cosmetically prettier I think. And worth every penny. Throw a heavy ball on it and its niiiice...

Old 10-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #54
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Did some research and found a weighted shift knob with the 3/8-16 threads option that will fit Hurst billet shifters if anyone is interested. I'm going to have it powdercoated ivory white and then blacken the etched pattern. Never liked the white ball it comes with with the hurst logo on the sides, the old 4 speed ones never had that.... Juiced Motorsports has a really nice price on the Hurst billet shifter with the discount code btw.
Attached Images

Last edited by Quicksilver2SS; 10-25-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Quicksilver2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:53 AM   #55
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Did you actually lift the trans up to gain access? That alone would probably make me pass on changing.
you take the cross brace off for the trans and support the trans. I used a jack that way I could lower or raise it depending on what was necessary.

The MGW video is what I followed and it didnt fail me
Old 10-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #56
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I'd love to see a video of someone driving their car with an MGW, like the vid I posted. Previous vids I've seen show the car off, the shifter moving. Not the car running.
Ask and you shall receive. I went and pulled the car out just for you

First one I had to pedal at the top of first as the tires weren’t warm yet (I literally just pulled out of the garage and it’s 50* in western PA; the Supercar 3’s need some heat). Second one was clean 1-2, but I didn’t nail third as fast as I’d prefer. These were both to 130. Note that it is difficult to shift with a phone wedged in the cup holder, but this is the best I could do at a moments notice. Hopefully they help someone out.

https://youtu.be/xAdYDArtpas
https://youtu.be/wWlFchMcKqQ
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote