Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
jimmyducati

Drives: 01 SS Camaro
High lift cams and accellerated valvetrain wear?

I have a BTR stage 4 cam in my 13' ZL1, and have been considering "downgrading" to a stage 3 or similar to broaden the curve a bit and make it more street/road course friendly.

Another consideration is the increased wear BTR mentions when using the stock rocker arms.. I haven't taken the valve covers off to see, but the seller claimed the valvetrain was updated when the Stage 4 cam went in.

My question is, assuming the correct valvetrain is installed, is there any additional wear I should be periodically checking for?
jimmyducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Full_Spectrum

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Yes- you really should be replacing- at at least checking- your valve springs every 12-15k miles with a cam that big.

You cant really expect a stage 4 cam and related components to last as long as a stock cam.

Some lobe profiles are going to be easier on springs than others, even for a given lift/duration, but anything over .600 lift is going to need regular replacement.

No free lunch.
Full_Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
jimmyducati

Drives: 01 SS Camaro
This is what I assumed was the case. Going to be replacing the cam with something more roadcourse friendly this winter for sure!
jimmyducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I am running the BTR stage 3 with their spring kit. I road course the car from time to time. I have not had any issue with it. I also daily drive the car when I can. Easy to drive on the street. I am also a manual.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote