The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #337
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Oh sure they do. VW owns Lambo and Audi. Fiat owned Ferrari for ages. If they ever wanted to build in volume, they could do so with ease.

They don't because then it dilutes the brand. Production is carefully managed so that its a bit behind the demand. For the luxury exotic market, a big part of what they're selling is exclusivity. If everyone has one, the car is no longer special which, ironically, reduces demand. This is also why Ford can charge hundreds of thousands for the GT: there just aren't many of them and its a privilege bestowed up you by Ford () to actually get one.

True, although I would guess Lambos and Ferraris are engineered specifically for that low volume production. They'd have to do some intense re-engineering and re-tooling to get those cars on a mass production line and pump out hundreds of units/day.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #338
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The $60k figure isn't necessarily a reflection of quality. I see it more as a testament to GM's manufacturing capabilities. The European makes don't have the mass-production capacity Bowling Green offers. To be fair, they likely don't see that as a bad thing, but for Corvette affordability is a key factor.
Also, I think it will be the rare person who will have the self-restraint to buy the $60K base car. The list of options is just too big and tasty to ignore. I'm going to say that most roll out of the door around $75-$80K.

So, in a very Porsche-like manner, the base car is kind of subsidized by people voluntarily adding a bunch of high margin options.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #339
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
to add on to DG's point I think it was Lambo that just came out and said they are going to start capping production to protect the brand
Yes, you are correct! The Lamborghini URUS has been a huge sales success (just like Bentayga for Bentley and Cullinan for Rolls-Royce)

Lamborghini Forced To Cap Production To Maintain Exclusivity
Quote:
With Lamborghini delivering 2,693 Urus SUVs, 1,211 Huracans, and 649 Aventadors in the first half of the year, it means the Audi-owned brand moved 4,553 units from January through June or 96% more than the same period of last year. That’s why company CEO Stefano Domenicali is confident the company will deliver more than 8,000 vehicles by the end of the year. It would be an all-time record and a massive improvement compared to 2018 when Lamborghini shipped 5,750 vehicles.

The sales boom is largely attributed to the full rollout of the Urus, but this massive hike in deliveries actually poses a real problem when you’re a high-end marque like Lamborghini. Domenicali believes continuing to ramp up production without putting any brakes could have a negative impact on exclusivity since seeing more and more Lambos on the road would dilute the marque’s exotic status.

For this reason, Lamborghini’s head honcho told Automotive News Europe that annual production is going to be capped even if that means losing customers as demand would certainly surpass output. Speaking at the inauguration of the new paint shop at home in Sant’Agata Bolognese, Domenicali explained increasing annual production to 10,000 units is possible, but only after adding a fourth model to the lineup.

In related news, Lamborghini’s boss ruled out the idea of an electric supercar by saying its customers are simply not interested in a car that doesn’t have the Urus’ twin-turbo V8, the Huracan’s V10 or the Aventador’s V12. However, the three model lineups will be electrified by the middle of the next decade as the company has no other way but to make the changes necessary to meet more stringent emissions regulations.

Domenicali mentioned the Urus won’t get the bigger V10 and V12 engines, while a smaller turbocharged mill is being considered for the Huracan’s successor, but not for the Aventador replacement.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #340
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Tires - makes sense

weight - so is a 3566 Curb Weight a good spec for this type of car or no (and that's why the published dry for now)? I mean, is there any legit reason why they don't know curb at this point?
I've seen dry weight quoted a bit with European cars, though in my googling it seems like its normally used for motorcycles.

They'd almost certainly know the curb weight, since they'd have to know much much oil and coolant and such the car needs. So I'd think this is some sort of deliberate choice, the only reason I can think of is because quoting dry weight makes the car seem lighter.

No idea where this puts it relative to other mid-engined cars.

Quote:
True, although I would guess Lambos and Ferraris are engineered specifically for that low volume production. They'd have to do some intense re-engineering and re-tooling to get those cars on a mass production line and pump out hundreds of units/day.
Oh for sure. There are certain shortcuts you can take with assembly procedures when you know its going to be a human doing the task in the span of 10 minutes instead of a robot that has 30 seconds. To go mass-volume, it would probably be just as cheap to design a whole new car than to re-engineer an existing low volume model. But, if VW wanted the Huracan replacement to sell 30k units a year, they could probably make such a car in a Skoda plant or something (never EVER going to happen ... but funny as hell to think about)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #341
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I've seen dry weight quoted a bit with European cars, though in my googling it seems like its normally used for motorcycles.

They'd almost certainly know the curb weight, since they'd have to know much much oil and coolant and such the car needs. So I'd think this is some sort of deliberate choice, the only reason I can think of is because quoting dry weight makes the car seem lighter.

No idea where this puts it relative to other mid-engined cars.
-Acura NSX weighs 3,878 lbs
-Audi R8 weighs 3,715 lbs
-Porsche 911 Carrera S-3,382 lbs

Was trying to compare it to the cars without carbon fiber monocoques.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #342
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
long beach red and orange and elkhart blue. all over the place now
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #343
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Excellent this is a killer.. Mofo..finally
Old 07-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #344
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
Don' really get why people say the back end looks like a Camaro, 6th gen Camaro rear was based on c7????
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #345
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
long beach red and orange and elkhart blue. all over the place now
Red or Bronze for me please :v!!
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #346
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
I've never seen this many people jumping ship that quickly ... it's attracting a wide array of consumers. Lot's of Supra/GT500 orders cancelled, lol.

On a side note, seems like everyone is opting for the giant rear wing, I wonder why? I prefer the standard Z51 wing.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #347
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
shadow gray. they must be on a mission to show off all the colors
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #348
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
The $60k figure isn't necessarily a reflection of quality. I see it more as a testament to GM's manufacturing capabilities. The European makes don't have the mass-production capacity Bowling Green offers. To be fair, they likely don't see that as a bad thing, but for Corvette affordability is a key factor.

But at the same time, one has to wonder about cooling. The trunk in the back is usually space reserved by other mid engine vehicles for heat extraction.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #349
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Hey Jimmy. Yes...but it didn’t affect this...to go from that beautiful C7 to this, is just terrible... and I’m incredibly objective because I strongly dislike corvettes... but I know a beautiful car when I see one...this ain’t dat.
lol That's your opinion. Pretty sure you're not the authority on whether a car is beautiful, attractive or special. Don't like it, don't buy it. There will be plenty and there are plenty of people that like this car.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #350
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
lol That's your opinion. Pretty sure you're not the authority on whether a car is beautiful, attractive or special. Don't like it, don't buy it. There will be plenty and there are plenty of people that like this car.

Bingo!