Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #15
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Hmm, odd. 39xxlb ZL1 with 650hp barely pulls on a Mustang GT350r that weighs 3700lbs with 526hp. On paper and the actual road tests are showing the ZL1 is faster 0-60 by almost a .5 seconds and the same for the 1/4 mile.

To bad GM couldn't really drop some weight on the ZL1 1LE and got it back down in the 36xx-37xx range, it would have really made it something that very few cars would have ever touched outside of the Supercar realm.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
93oh

Drives: 2017 ZL-1
Evolution Performance and with clean crisp sea level track like etown will pound into high elevens.. car is fast as hell. And with a 2.9 whip (gulp).. nothing is touching it.
93oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #17
93oh

Drives: 2017 ZL-1
Zl1 I haven't driven since ride home just parked
93oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #18
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
These are all great discussions, as with the HC, when it comes to the same professional driver in each car on his best day. But with the variables in each of our skill levels and how easy it is to miss a shift on one run, or hit the red line on another, miss a reaction by half a second, really makes the biggest difference in each of these. That's what I love about it and the hobby. I don't get a hard-on knowing I should be faster on paper if I can't back it up. Likewise I don't have any remorse for my car choice if it turns out it should be slower on paper, cause I still know I'll win a lot of the time.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #19
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
Will it be the A10 or M6? I'd like to see the A10.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #20
h777

Drives: None
I really look forward to seeing this. I have seen video's of Randy's test on the GT350R and he is in love with it. Randy was so excited, he even gave it a fist pump while driving. All the Motortrend editors also love the GT350R. I never seen them so excited for a car under $100k. I did not see the same excitement from Randy when he was on the Ignition episode of ZL1. Almost seemed calm but appreciative of what the ZL1 is capable of. Not sure, maybe he had much higher expectations than when he reviewed the GT350R?

Should be a close race since they are only 3 seconds apart on the Nurburgring. One can only imagine how close a shorter race track will be. Could be a lot closer than people think since Randy is very familiar with the capabilities of GT350R. He has been reviewing them for a couple years now. ZL1 should be going into this as the favorites.

Last edited by h777; 04-16-2017 at 09:38 AM.
h777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Looking forward to it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post

It's about 3 seconds slower around Nurburgring
Has Ford released an official manufacturer Nurburgring video for that car, yet? There was something out by a magazine, but I didn't think they did....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
To bad GM couldn't really drop some weight on the ZL1 1LE and got it back down in the 36xx-37xx range, it would have really made it something that very few cars would have ever touched outside of the Supercar realm.
It already is. Can't wait to see the numbers this thing puts down in the magazines and track tests!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #22
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Yeah I know, but I really wanted to see the ZL1 1LE drop some serious weight. 60lbs really isn't much in my mind, but alas it would prob cost an arm and a leg to drop anything more than that at this point.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #23
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Looking forward to it!!

Has Ford released an official manufacturer Nurburgring video for that car, yet? There was something out by a magazine, but I didn't think they did....

It already is. Can't wait to see the numbers this thing puts down in the magazines and track tests!
Nothing official from Ford, kinda wonder why. Link below

http://horsepowerkings.com/report-20...rburgring-lap/
Old 04-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #24
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post
Nothing official from Ford, kinda wonder why. Link below

http://horsepowerkings.com/report-20...rburgring-lap/
I'm not sure why anybody would really care. There needs to be a sanctioning body that verifies that the claimed vehicles are even stock otherwise what's the point. Manufacturers can claim whatever they want with absolutely zero ramifications.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Sounding more and more like the GT500 will be a ZL1 1LE..................with an extra 150 hp.

If a GT350 or 350R can keep up with a ZL1 1LE being down 100 HP, then GM didn't do the job I think they did in the handling department. GM has always been better at Ford in this area. So this should be no comparison. If it is then Ford has a tremendous chassis.......and I don't think they do or have the ability to refine it as well as GM does.

As for dropping "serious" weight, you would have had to have $10,000 to $15,000 in premium materials. Probably more. Carbon Fiber, Aluminium and Magnesium don't come cheap. Not to mention all the retest and validation. I don't see that happening. The ZL1 has been a great combination of getting all the features and all the performance. Not a spartan Z/28.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #26
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
I'm not sure why anybody would really care. There needs to be a sanctioning body that verifies that the claimed vehicles are even stock otherwise what's the point. Manufacturers can claim whatever they want with absolutely zero ramifications.
I would agree, to me it's just a reference.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
zipline

Drives: chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
That is an excellent point. Think of all the potential chicanery. Cars could come with jagged edge tuning that would be nowhere near EPA compliant or a motor way over cammed on 14:1 compression, who would know? Tons of stuff removed from the cover of the dash and center stack. Air conditioning components removed, audio head unit with face but nothing behind it, speakers removed, sound insulation gone, etc. A couple hundred pounds could disappear real quick.
zipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #28
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

mlee was telling me Ford doesn't dump the $$$$ into the ring like GM does & maybe why they don't have an official time?? Seems strange with that place sorta being a standard of sorts for bragging rights. Anyway, thought I would throw it out there.

I feel both cars are solid...I likely would have been in a 350R if a dealer would have sold at sticker. Fate works it ways sometimes & tickled to tears with the A10. The 1Le & it's wing is growing on me though, especially the pic you have tied to the fest & will be interesting to see the future write ups.

I don't think anything anywhere will be able to touch this car in this price range...it's quite impressive. However, the more I read about it's dedicated suspension and the lack of track time / distance I will be able to do. The A10 is the better animal for me. Nothing but all the way around.

It's a good time to be an enthusiast.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote