Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
mrgto

Drives: '10 Equinox LTZ
Thinking about ordering a 2023 Convertible, need some pointers

So, some of you may know me from other LS boards. I've previously had a 99 TA 6spd, 01 Z28 Convert 6spd, and a Verano Turbo 6spd.

Let me give you some background. I used to live in MA, but now live in FL. No need to worry about snow anymore. Pushing 50. Kid still can't drive. Gotta wait 3 more years for that. Youngest I have 1.5 years of driving her to school and picking her up every day. Wife is visually impaired so she can no longer drive.

Sold the Verano after the wife gave up her license. Current ride is a 2010 V6 AWD Equinox. It's got 160K miles on it and it seems like things will break or need attention every other month. On the flip side it's nice not having a car payment.

But I'd like to buy a convertible. I figure I have 20 or so good years left. I love convertibles. I miss my Z28. I sold it because I got rear ended and after that it just sat in the garage while I drove my truck.

I THINK I'd like to get back to a manual. Traffic sucks here in SW FL but nothing like rowing the gears. I just can't decide on a V6(Which seems, on paper, to make more power than the LS1) or to get the LT1. Not sure I can swing the SS version but the price difference between the 3LT V6 stick and the LT1 is like 7K and up.

The 6spd auto in my SUV isn't bad. Had to have it rebuilt at 150K miles. How is the 6spd in the V6 version compared to the LT version or is it the same tranny?(Sorry I haven't had much time to investigate the difference). Only other option I'd like are the Recaro seats. It seems all the suspension options and 6piston brake options have gone away for 2023 with stinks.

I'd just like to hear the thoughts of the Convertible owners and why you picked what you picked. Thanks all. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:30 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Coupe owner here, I can tell you that your old LS1 will feel faster than a 6th gen v6 vert. The torque that was abundant early on on your old LS1 which made it so much fun, is nearly absent in the v6 by comparison. A six speed manual LT1 is what you want. As far as convertible, I can't help you there as I avoid verts and I don't see any snow in my area. The constant rain we both receive is just as bad, if not worse for rag top convertibles. The top's shortened life expectancy from the storms, year round heat and humidity has never appealed to me.

PS: the automatic v6 DOES NOT come with limited slip differential.

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 11-25-2022 at 10:27 PM.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:24 PM   #3
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
This dealer is about a mile and a half from me. Three new verts on the lot and one used vert. Not sure if they’re manuals cuz I didn’t drill into the listings. Saw them show up maybe a month ago on the lot and surprised they haven’t been sold. Maybe cuz it’s November in Michigan!

https://www.mhchevy.com/new-vehicles...Type=our_price
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:48 PM   #4
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
2SS M6 vert here. Its actually my wifes car because she always wanted a vert.
She is as smooth as glass running through the gears.
Were close to retirement... Live in Jersey. The car stays outside because theres bikes and all sorts of stuff in the garage. It lives under a Covercraft cover. Is practically only driven when we can drop the top. It has been out in a down pour. Never in snow even though I have winter tires and wheels that I put on in November.
We do have the Recaros. I find them a bit constricting. Not surprisingly since thats what theyre for right? I would be more comfortable if they reclined a bit farther. Same issue with the SS seats too. There are vidoes online about how to cut the stop off and get full recline. Its not that big of a deal that its worth pulling the seats out of the car to mess with them.
Im not a V6 guy in a Camaro. I want the rumble of the V-8. Not to disparage the 6's. M6 6/V-8. The 455 horse is more than enough but I have to admit that after a few thousand miles I got used to it and have to think Id be happy with 650...there are few vehicles around that can run with the camaro... Not that thats how we drive...
The vert is a little tighter inside than a coupe. Maybe an inch or 2 but my wife was unable to floor the clutch in the coupe we drove. She is very comfortable in the vert at 5'2".
The vert has been completely tight but before we got the cover on it there was a building of moisture in the cabin that resulted in heavy moisture on the inside o the windshield. Enough so that the inspection sticker was deteriorating. Not so under the cover.
The chassis is stiffer than most cars on the road. They did a great job stiffening the vert. No cowl shake, no rattles, mothing but smooth and direct.
I imagine at the extremes theres a noticeable difference between the vert and coupe but I doubt youll notice anything on the road.
I doubt anyone buys a vert to race around at 10 10ths.
Top down cruising. Making all the right kinds of noises...rowing through the gears...Thats what its all about...
Normal conversation is possible at highway speeds.
Stuff does fly around and I find dust can get behind my sun glasses at times. I also need a baseball cap because the sun visors are worthless and if the sun is right above ... it goes right behind the sun glasses.
I have read that the windscreen is great. Weve talked about it but haven't bought one so far.
Longest drive we did was to the Jersey shore... did some work on the house... then drove back in the same day. Top down out, top up returning after dark. I have a worn out 67 year old back and by the time we got home I was a little antsy... But the Recaros were comfortable for a 180 mile day with a bunch of work in the middle.
Hope that helps. We love our Camaro. Perhaps the nicest driving car Ive owned and Ive owned a lot of "cool" cars since the 70s.
By the way.. Even with some spirited driving the V8/M6 combo has returned 19.5 MPG to date. I can cruise at 75-80 on the highway and make almost 30.
Good luck.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
dmhines67

Drives: 2021 2SS SHOCK VERT
I live in SW Florida. Love my 2021 MT6 2SS Convertible. Just remember that Camaros suck in the rain. Florida rainy season is down right scary because many roads are quickly overwhelmed with water during daily down pours making them a hydroplane nightmare. Be safe.
dmhines67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #6
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I got mine because I've always wanted another Camaro. My first car (high school) was a '67 vert, 327 2bbl. It wasn't anything special other than my parents bought it new and it was my mom's car when I was growing up. She gave it to me when I was 15. I did the best a teenager could do back then and built the 327 to the 350HP specs (GM 350 cam, 11:1, 2.02 heads), replaced the Powerglide with a THM350, and put a 12-bolt 3:55 on it. Man that car was fun! If I'd have known that in the future you'd be able to get essentially every part on the car new to restore it, I never would have sold it. Oh well, I digress...

When I was looking in 2019, I really wanted a ZL1 vert, but my wife put her foot down and said I'm not spending ~$60k on a used car. So, I figured at least an SS. I wanted nearly everything on it, but would have settled for no MRC. No NPP (dual mode exhaust) and an M6 were deal breakers. I got lucky and found my SS, fully loaded, with less than 1900 miles on it. And in a color I loved!

My reasoning for no M6: after the '67 vert, every car I had through my early 30's was a stick. I sought them out and actually ordered a couple new cars with manuals. Call it aging or whatever, but I just got sick of it for a DD.

If this car is going to be your DD for many years to come, think about rowing through those gears day after day after day for 10+ years, especially if you deal with a lot of traffic, and how you'll feel about that as you age. If it works for you, great! I'm not advocating one way or the other, but think long term.

As far as the V6 vs the V8, consider the V8 will require premium ALL THE TIME. I don't think the LGX requires premium, and I know the 2.0T can run regular (wife's CTS has one...it's a great little motor, and we run reg in it with no issues) but they "recommend" premium.

Get the windscreen on day 1. The Chevy one. Worth every penny!

They did an amazing job with this vert chassis, I was shocked how solid it was when I drone one for the first time in '17 or so (rental in FL, trip down the Keys). You won't be disappointed!

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:42 AM   #7
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Bought my 2017 convertible in January 2017 in Detroit. Not exactly the best time / location mix for a convertible, but hey. It was as I was retiring from GM and I had decided my retirement present to myself would be a V8 convertible. Period. For me, it’s the best of both worlds. I can boulevard cruise to my hearts content, but I can also take it to the dragstrip several times a year and it’s tight enough to have some curvy fun on Tail of the Dragon. I’ve gone with a dark + carbon fiber cosmetic theme and also added headers and E85 so it drives as angry as it looks and sounds.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 11-26-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
PostalLDMC

Drives: 2022 2LT RS Convertible
For me being 74 the 6 cyl. 10 auto with pad shift is easy on the back and sure no 3 pedals. You'll love the wind screen. Sure, you'll need to watch big puddles of rain. I have put over 400 mls. and no back problems love the hot /cold seats. Bone dry in heavy storms no leaks. I do clean the windshield top where the top locks to keep junk out. The 6 cyl. get great milage easy to knock down 35+ at 65 mph. The air works great even with the black top. I did get rid of the goof black and red RS strip on the hood. I changed it to all red to match my seats.
Attached Images

PostalLDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:08 PM   #9
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
I absolutely loved mine. 3rd since 2012. And if I can help it, my next Camaro will be a convertible.
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #10
PizzzzzaForPresident

Drives: Ferrari F40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines67 View Post
I live in SW Florida. Love my 2021 MT6 2SS Convertible. Just remember that Camaros suck in the rain. Florida rainy season is down right scary because many roads are quickly overwhelmed with water during daily down pours making them a hydroplane nightmare. Be safe.

Performance summer tires on any vehicle are sketchy in heavy rain with a lot of water sitting on the road, but a good set of all seasons can handle that without issue.
PizzzzzaForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:06 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzzzzaForPresident View Post
Performance summer tires on any vehicle are sketchy in heavy rain with a lot of water sitting on the road, but a good set of all seasons can handle that without issue.
Depends on said performance summer tire. My PS4S tires are as good in the rain and in terms of hydroplaning resistance as any all-season tire, if not better. Not so much at very low temps, naturally, but their wet traction is surreal overall.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:51 PM   #12
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
Had a T-Top Z28 in the 80's, Had a 5th gen LS manual in 2012 and bought my 2017 2LT RS Convertible w/24000 miles in Feb 2022 because I had to cut my payments getting ready for retirement. Wanted a new one, but the dealers actually thought that I was going to pay almost $10,000 over sticker.

I always seem to buy a new car every 2-3 years and a new bike every 3-4 years.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:39 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would definitely get an SS or LT1 vert. You will enjoy the LT1 V8 more and don’t think you will regret getting the M6 6 speed trans. The Recaro seats are nice but a extra cost option and in my opinion are worth the extra money.��

Last edited by LT4Greg; 11-27-2022 at 12:09 AM.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
ACESHI

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS convertible
2023 2 SS vert owner here. With out a doubt get the dual node exhaust and red brake calipers. I also got the redline edition and love it
ACESHI is offline   Reply With Quote