Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Tackling those reluctant mods

I have wanting to do this mod for some time and decided it was time to do some research and get it done. The mod involves taking off the engine support braces, the ones attached to the firewall and the shock towers, not the one across the engine. Painting them a different color than reinstall.

Decided I wanted to keep the oringinals black, as I keep all original parts. Went on e-bay and found several listed. Upon receiving these I painted them with some some left over paint I had for a caliper project. I used VHT high temp primer, color and clear paint knowing these might be subject to some high temps near the exhaust manifolds.

Now the install is the harder part. There have been previous threads on just how do you get these braces off. They don't come off by just taking off the bolts that hold them. The trick is the cowl plenum #9 has to come off. Once you take off the wipers the plastic cowl is next by removing all the push pins (I call them that). You then remove the cover over the cabin air filter. You then find all the 10 mm bolts and nuts that must come off to raise the cowl plenum. The center one is a bitch to get off so I just loosened it enough to raise the plenum ends to clear the center mount on the braces. But, now you must contend with the glue type gasket under the plenum to the firewall. I was able to pry the plenum off enough on each end to make the clearance I needed. You don't need to completely remove the plenum. Reinstall is just the steps in reverse.

Some pics to visualize the project. Sorry about the pics upside down, still can't figure out why this happens
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Looks good. So did you just spray over the old black paint on the ones you ordered? Or did you strip the black paint?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Looks good. So did you just spray over the old black paint on the ones you ordered? Or did you strip the black paint?

I scuffed the surface before putting on the primer.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I scuffed the surface before putting on the primer.
Thanks.