Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT|RS
Need some help with installing a Sub & Amp w/ Boston Audio Package.

So, ive been looking around on the forums for my situation and I've found some answers but not all for what i'm trying to do to my Camaro.

So basically i had bought some subs for my car since i want a little thump in the trunk. but i don'w know for sure how to go about wiring it all up and getting the best amp for install.

The subs that i picked up are "Kicker 12-Inch 300W C12"

I know that you aren't supposed to go off the "MAX" wattage from the subs which with both combined are rated at 600 Watts together, bu the RMS is rated at 150 Watts each (300 Combined)

So my question is, what amp do i need for this? some say i'm better off getting a 600 watt amp, others say to get a 1000 watt amp.

Then not only that, when i do get the amp, how do i go about installing it?

I saw a couple videos showing that i can get this harness by sub-thump for the 5th gen.

And im guessing that the old amp will now power my new amp that i get? if anyone is willing to help me out it would be great or maybe point me in the correct direction to install this.

I have no experience with this but i am willing to try and install this on my own without having to take it somewhere and get it installed.

*Added a dash between sub and thump since for some reason the forum censors it.
RalphGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I have a powered sub in the trunk that I have being powered off that harness. It gives you RCAs or speaker line inputs. It’s very easy to install, especially if you not changing a head unit or anything else.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I have a powered sub in the trunk that I have being powered off that harness. It gives you RCAs or speaker line inputs. It’s very easy to install, especially if you not changing a head unit or anything else.
Yeah i'm not going to change anything else other than installing the amp and subs, but its basically plug and play right? like i run from the stock amp to the new amp?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuevara View Post
Yeah i'm not going to change anything else other than installing the amp and subs, but its basically plug and play right? like i run from the stock amp to the new amp?

Yes exactly. And it’s great that the battery is in the trunk so all your work is there
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Yes exactly. And it’s great that the battery is in the trunk so all your work is there
Last question, should i get a 600 watt amp since the max is 600? and the RMS is 300? i mean it sounds like common sense but then again some people say to get a higher watt amp so i'm not too sure.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
c5dreamer

Drives: Tacoma/2LTRS
Quote:
Last question, should i get a 600 watt amp since the max is 600? and the RMS is 300? i mean it sounds like common sense but then again some people say to get a higher watt amp so i'm not too sure.
1st off what’s ohm load of each sub? 4?
c5dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5dreamer View Post
1st off what’s ohm load of each sub? 4?
Yes, they're 4 each sub
Old 07-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Also, as for wiring got this kit that I've had from Walmart from what i can see it comes with:
  • 16.5’ of 8 gauge power wire
  • 16’ of twisted audio cable
  • 16’ of turn-on wire
  • 2’ of grounding wire
  • Maxi fuse holder
  • 50 amp fuse
  • wire terminals
  • ground terminal

If this helps. i've had this kit for a while now though so idk if it would or or not.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
c5dreamer

Quote:
Yes, they're 4 each sub
OK, you are going to need an amp that puts out 300 watts at 2 ohms, go on sonicelectronix.com, they have an amp finder program , you have to put in manufacturer, subwoofer model and how many subs, it will pull up all amps that will match your 2 subs. If you talk to people at crutchfield they will say get an amp that is 75% to 150% power of your subs. If you ask the manufacturer they probably will recommend RMS to avoid voiding warranty. What kind of box do you have? Got to make sure it fits.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
c5dreamer

Quote:
OK, you are going to need an amp that puts out 300 watts at 2 ohms, go on sonicelectronix.com, they have an amp finder program , you have to put in manufacturer, subwoofer model and how many subs, it will pull up all amps that will match your 2 subs. If you talk to people at crutchfield they will say get an amp that is 75% to 150% power of your subs. If you ask the manufacturer they probably will recommend RMS to avoid voiding warranty. What kind of box do you have? Got to make sure it fits.
I did the amp finder and kicker has Kicker 46CXA4001 , Kicker 43CXA3001 CX300.1 CX 300W RMS Mono Car Audio Class D Amplifier/Amp+Remote,

Kicker CXA600.5 (43CXA6005) this will power your whole system, make sure you get OFC oxygen free copper power wires!!!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Quote:
i got the enclosure from Amazon, It fits the Gen 5's. Well, is made for the 5th Gen at least.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Quote:
I did the amp finder and kicker has Kicker 46CXA4001 , Kicker 43CXA3001 CX300.1 CX 300W RMS Mono Car Audio Class D Amplifier/Amp+Remote,

Kicker CXA600.5 (43CXA6005) this will power your whole system, make sure you get OFC oxygen free copper power wires!!!
I'm looking around for the product but its mostly sold out or unavailable sadly.

EDIT: nvm, used the sonicelectronix website and i might just order from there, but which one do you recommend? out of the 3.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #13
c5dreamer

Quote:
I'm looking around for the product but its mostly sold out or unavailable sadly.

EDIT: nvm, used the sonicelectronix website and i might just order from there, but which one do you recommend? out of the 3.
the 46CXA4001 is their current model
Old 07-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #14
c5dreamer

Quote:
the 46CXA4001 is their current model and it comes with a bass remote
wait does not come with bass remote

Tags
sub boxes, sub thump, sub wiring, subwoofer amp