Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-09-2022, 11:56 PM   #1
iLilDark

Drives: Camaro 2013 LT
Signs of bad battery?

Yesterday I had an oil change to my car, the shop did wash the car too and apparently the guy over there sprayed my engine with an Acdelco bottle called "carburetor tune-up conditioner" then air sprayed the engine, car was driving fine yesterday, today I turned on the car to head to work my screen restarted itself couple of times on the way, when I switched off the engine the car died quickly no screen no lights nothing, when I got out the remote didn't lock it, I got back in to turn on the car and nothing!
Are those signs of a bad battery? Did that guy mess up something when he cleaned my engine?
iLilDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:17 AM   #2
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
here's one:
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:39 AM   #3
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
in all seriousness you might have a loose connection, see if u can spin the cables on the battery posts. if they're good meter the battery with the car off(should be 11.5 to 12.5vdc) with the meter constantly on the battery get a buddy to turn over the car and watch the meter. if it drops below 8 it's done....a dead battery will activate and deactivate the starter causing a clicking sound.....can u hear that?
the latest trend right now on non starting camaros is the ground connection is loose.....check your ground connection at the other end of the battery.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:44 AM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLilDark View Post
Yesterday I had an oil change to my car, the shop did wash the car too and apparently the guy over there sprayed my engine with an Acdelco bottle called "carburetor tune-up conditioner" then air sprayed the engine, car was driving fine yesterday, today I turned on the car to head to work my screen restarted itself couple of times on the way, when I switched off the engine the car died quickly no screen no lights nothing, when I got out the remote didn't lock it, I got back in to turn on the car and nothing!
Are those signs of a bad battery? Did that guy mess up something when he cleaned my engine?
those are definite signs of a dead battery... I know as it happened to me about 2 months ago. Sad it was my fault and I had to take the blame for it...lol. I didn't close the door good and sitting over night drained it.... but at the same time, the battery made it almost 12 years (so I figured it was time for a new one).
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Depending on how much and where he sprayed, damage to the alternator is possible.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Depending on how much and where he sprayed, damage to the alternator is possible.

How could he have damaged the alternator? Genuine question as I am not a mechanic.

To the OP, I've been told that our rides are very sensitive with regards to voltage drops, so any electrical issue diagnosis should begin with a battery check. Several guys have gotten the Christmas Tree special due to a bad battery (all lights on dash fire up and car runs funny if at all).
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Alternators don't like chemicals sprayed into them, or even water to some extent.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #8
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
So on top of spraying water into the engine compartment he also used "carburetor tune-up conditioner".

As water tight connections age and heat/cool cycle they aren't so much "tight" anymore.
But it could just be coincidence and a nine year old original battery.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
iLilDark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
in all seriousness you might have a loose connection, see if u can spin the cables on the battery posts. if they're good meter the battery with the car off(should be 11.5 to 12.5vdc) with the meter constantly on the battery get a buddy to turn over the car and watch the meter. if it drops below 8 it's done....a dead battery will activate and deactivate the starter causing a clicking sound.....can u hear that?
the latest trend right now on non starting camaros is the ground connection is loose.....check your ground connection at the other end of the battery.
So I ended up replacing the battery yesterday and it fixed the problem, however when I installed the new battery I don't remember if I tightened the cables, it worked fine yesterday and today, I just went to the car and turned it on it turned on for a second then it died completely just like yesterday, do you think it could have loosen connections? Is it possible there's some reason to drain the battery completely like this?
Old 10-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #10
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLilDark View Post
So I ended up replacing the battery yesterday and it fixed the problem, however when I installed the new battery I don't remember if I tightened the cables, it worked fine yesterday and today, I just went to the car and turned it on it turned on for a second then it died completely just like yesterday, do you think it could have loosen connections? Is it possible there's some reason to drain the battery completely like this?
Not so much about draining the battery but, a loose connection, especially the ground, can cause your starting issue.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #11
iLilDark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Not so much about draining the battery but, a loose connection, especially the ground, can cause your starting issue.
Can it cause the car to be absolutely and completely dead? Not even a remote lock or a little light to work?