Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-07-2022, 02:07 AM   #1
wastepile

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS M6
Build vs. Buy

Hypothetical question. Can you mod a 2015 SS so that it is equivalent or better than a 2015 ZL1 for $12,400? Both cars are stock and the SS need equivalent or better parts to hit ZL1 levels (suspension, hp/torque, etc.)

I got the values via KBB with standard options, black color, and 60,000 miles. In reality, the marketplace would vary more based on location etc. But, for this question let's assume 12,400.
wastepile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:23 AM   #2
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
So you put 12.4 into an SS, It’s still an SS as far as market value. You put that same 12.4 towards a ZL1, you get the extra performance plus the extra market value the ZL1 brings. It’s the old saying, throwing good money after bad.
So, could you get the performance of a ZL1 out of an SS for 12.4. Sure, given the precise upgrades without wasting any $$ on unneeded modes and finding deals on needed modes. And, the fun of working on your Camaro if capable is priceless. If you’re paying for labor, not a chance in hell.
All hypothetical.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I'm not sure 12k would get you to the performance of a ZL1. Differences are ZL comes with 1.9L supercharger, stronger bottom end and head for boost. It has a way stronger diff and axles and the front brakes are better too. I think the SS has the same fuel pump as the ZL1 for 15, but not positive and then there is the interior and exterior appearance factor not to mention the superior suspension on the ZL1. If the cars are automatics, the ZL has a stronger trans and ZL1 comes with forged 20x11/20x10 wheels. Just the parts and tuning will run you over 12k. I have a lot of ZL1 and Z28 parts on my cars and I wish they had offered the ZL1 in 2010 because I would have sure saved money starting with it rather than the SS.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:19 AM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I'm not sure 12k would get you to the performance of a ZL1. Differences are ZL comes with 1.9L supercharger, stronger bottom end and head for boost. It has a way stronger diff and axles and the front brakes are better too. I think the SS has the same fuel pump as the ZL1 for 15, but not positive and then there is the interior and exterior appearance factor not to mention the superior suspension on the ZL1. If the cars are automatics, the ZL has a stronger trans and ZL1 comes with forged 20x11/20x10 wheels. Just the parts and tuning will run you over 12k. I have a lot of ZL1 and Z28 parts on my cars and I wish they had offered the ZL1 in 2010 because I would have sure saved money starting with it rather than the SS.
Nailed it!!
Old 10-07-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
If you do the work yourself, you can probably get the performance of the ZL1 for $12,400 and probably quite a bit less, or at least you could have just a few years ago. You probably won't get the extra insurance of the stronger diff, axles and trans.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:41 AM   #6
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Hypothetically there are plenty of 2015 SS owners who might consider their car better than a 2015 ZL1-different strokes for different folks. For $12k you can make the SS faster and handle as well or better than a stock ZL1 but as stated above the ZL1 has a much more robust drivetrain, brakes and doesn't take much to make some serious hp. The ZL1 should retain its value when it's time to sell so its not really spending extra money as you should get it back then,
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #7
wastepile

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post

Thanks, that's what I figured but didn't have the domain knowledge to say why. It's nice to have someone confirm the thought and even better explain why.
wastepile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Look at my mods below. I have as much power as the 2017 ZL1, and spent less then $1200.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
My car surpasses a ZL-1 in every possible metric, but it was nowhere near $12k. Yes, I could have started with a ZL-1, but I love the SS so I only looked for that one. A properly built SS can be a steal used if you find a good one.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Good interesting discussion here. I can see points on both sides. My personal opinion is if you are tied to the SS for some particular reason than build the hell out of it and you can be better than or equal to a ZL1. It’s gonna cost more in the long run to match all the attributes that the Z excels at. Power is only a small amount of the equation here. They stop a lot better, handle better, and have better driveline components, wider wheels and tires, just to name a few. Out the gate you are money ahead with the Z. A modded Z is going to be that much harder for a SS to match. That said I love my SS and will build the EFF out of it because it is THE car for me.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:11 PM   #11
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Waaaaayyyyyy to many variables to answer this question well. Even hypothetically. However I’ll say this. A lot of people have blank checks when going for big performance (notice I said performance not HP) You can’t get that with a restricted amount of money. $12.4 wouldn’t even cover the SC and accompanying mods like clutch and engine upgrades, rear end upgrade, tires/wheels etc ..to handle the power. You can get more hp with that much, what good is it if you don’t get the peripheral upgrades?

I would have never purchased a ZL1 because my goals were always higher. Why buy a car with a Supercharger which you’re just gonna ditch for a better Supercharger. Hell man, you’ll want better everything, cam, pushrods, throttle body….the list is very, very long. (Or turbo)

Believe what you want, but no one, and I mean no one, is getting, or exceeding, ZL1 performance with bolt-ons and a tune. And they sure as shit ain’t getting it for $12,400.00 or less.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:29 PM   #12
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Waaaaayyyyyy to many variables to answer this question well. Even hypothetically. However I’ll say this. A lot of people have blank checks when going for big performance (notice I said performance not HP) You can’t get that with a restricted amount of money. $12.4 wouldn’t even cover the SC and accompanying mods like clutch and engine upgrades, rear end upgrade, tires/wheels etc ..to handle the power. You can get more hp with that much, what good is it if you don’t get the peripheral upgrades?

I would have never purchased a ZL1 because my goals were always higher. Why buy a car with a Supercharger which you’re just gonna ditch for a better Supercharger. Hell man, you’ll want better everything, cam, pushrods, throttle body….the list is very, very long. (Or turbo)

Believe what you want, but no one, and I mean no one, is getting, or exceeding, ZL1 performance with bolt-ons and a tune. And they sure as shit ain’t getting it for $12,400.00 or less.

Yep!
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #13
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Good interesting discussion here. I can see points on both sides. My personal opinion is if you are tied to the SS for some particular reason than build the hell out of it and you can be better than or equal to a ZL1. It’s gonna cost more in the long run to match all the attributes that the Z excels at. Power is only a small amount of the equation here. They stop a lot better, handle better, and have better driveline components, wider wheels and tires, just to name a few. Out the gate you are money ahead with the Z. A modded Z is going to be that much harder for a SS to match. That said I love my SS and will build the EFF out of it because it is THE car for me.
I agree. Good points on both sides.

I can appreciate the power a supercharged or turboed engine produces but being the almost old fart that I am, I just appreciate the naturally aspirated system more.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:40 PM   #14
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
I agree. Good points on both sides.

I can appreciate the power a supercharged or turboed engine produces but being the almost old fart that I am, I just appreciate the naturally aspirated system more.
I appreciate both N/A as well as supercharged.
The cool thing here is: imho; no matter what you get or how you get there, do it in a Camaro!
Hellcat/Shelby be damned