#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-29-2022, 11:03 AM   #15
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
I can bet you that 2 -3 secs of that difference were due to 3rs vs 3s. So unless u are randy at a track with 1000+ laps and dont care about the car itself- with 3rs, the outcome will be near equal times…
More like 1.5 seconds but definitely not equal times. ZL1 just has more rubber to put down with the wider wheels.

All these built SS-1LE, what happens when you start modding ZL1s?

Essentially it's the same chassis platform but the ZL1 has forged engine internals, an SC, and better OEM suspension components. I mean, if you threw everything and the kitchen sink at both cars my money would still be on the ZL1 to have the slight edge.

No argument on consumables. ZL1 eats up tires but you can dial some of that out with tuning. My rears outlast my fronts now with my tuning which is unheard of. I can control how the power comes on with the timing.

Ethanol doesn't do as much for an NA engine as it does for forced induction. It will certainly help, but you won't pick up 40-50hp like with the ZL1. Maybe 20hp in an SS.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #16
NG329

ZL1+911

Greg AKA (MECHANICALENG) is a way better driver than I am. That is unanimous! Yet, my PB at Thunderbolt is 3 seconds faster than his (with traffic). Lightning is 0.6 seconds faster (with traffic). 3Rs are not 3 seconds faster than 3s.

He's spent considerable time following me and he also told me that my car is not much faster than his down the straight.

If Greg jumps in a ZL1-1LE ...and I've offered to let him drive my car, he absolutely crushes all of his PBs.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #17
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Good discussion. I have contemplated ordering a ZLE because I think it's not likely to depreciate, but not sure I actually want it due to the extra weight, complexity and consumables costs. My current SS 1LE is more ideal. I'm thinking I might rather have a Cayman or C8 which will be available new for longer, costs less to drive and having a mid engine car would be something different vs my SLE.

Also with the SS, a cam and headers would get you the same power as a ZLE, they really have +150 hp vs a SS as the supercharger costs 50 hp. The cost of doing this to an LT1 is kind of shocking compared to older Chevy small blocks though. I'd also like to replace the AFM lifters but can't do that without removing the heads. :(
Old 09-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #18
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
ZL1+911

Greg AKA (MECHANICALENG) is a way better driver than I am. That is unanimous! Yet, my PB at Thunderbolt is 3 seconds faster than his (with traffic). Lightning is 0.6 seconds faster (with traffic). 3Rs are not 3 seconds faster than 3s.

He's spent considerable time following me and he also told me that my car is not much faster than his down the straight.

If Greg jumps in a ZL1-1LE ...and I've offered to let him drive my car, he absolutely crushes all of his PBs.

I am actually willing to bet that 3R's are actually 3 seconds faster than the 3's. Depending on the track that is but I bet it's close to 3 seconds if not more at VIR.

Last edited by Christian1LE; 09-29-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #19
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I am actually willing to bet that 3R's are actually 3 seconds faster than the 3's. Depending on the track that is but I bet it's close to 3 seconds if not more at VIR.
Fair play. Even if it were the case that there's a 3 sec delta between tires, he'd be on 3Rs just to "match" the time of a lesser driver like myself. He jumps in my car and he's running 27s all day.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #20
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
Fair play. Even if it were the case that there's a 3 sec delta between tires, he'd be on 3Rs just to "match" the time of a lesser driver like myself. He jumps in my car and he's running 27s all day.
Oh yeah I agree with you, the ZL1 is better all around if you're talking about speed. I don't think the SS 1LE is better at shorter tracks, they might be close but there is still a difference. Also sorry for contributing to hijacking your thread looking for a track ready SS1LE, if mine was track ready I would trade with you(OP).
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #21
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
SS 1LE is easier on my wallet.

I'm a fan of "Less to go wrong" but the ZL1 1LE is in a league of it's own. She's quick.
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #22
MechanicalEng

Drives: SS1LE
ZLE is faster, IF its on brand new R compound tires and driver knows where 4th gear is...

MechanicalEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #23
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Greg u need to drive my car next time and show me what you can do…
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #24
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
I could be into selling mine for the right price.
17 SS1LE 33k miles
CMS rollbar
OMP seats
Schroth Harnesses
Apex 19x11 wheels 305 square
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:13 PM   #25
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
I could be into selling mine for the right price.
17 SS1LE 33k miles
CMS rollbar
OMP seats
Schroth Harnesses
Apex 19x11 wheels 305 square

Thx I’ll send u a message
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:52 PM   #26
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
Greg u need to drive my car next time and show me what you can do…
I would love to see that. But Greg in an automatic is cheating. Hahaha
Old 09-29-2022, 07:18 PM   #27
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
That's true. A Pro Driver will be faster in a ZLE. But I doubt many of us here can handle that much power going to the rear wheels and take full advantage of it in all situations. This is why the real world semi-amatuers like us can be faster in a SS1LE on some tracks
PTM Race and PTM Sport 2 are specifically designed to get as close as possible to a pro driver's exit speeds with traction and stability control fully off and all you have to do is mash the throttle to 100% as soon as you reach the apex and let the car do the rest.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e9RVZkjZkek

Your skill level will be the same if you switch to an SS 1LE and you will be slower than you were in your ZL1 1LE. SS 1LEs with faster lap times than ZL1 1LEs in the Best Track Times thread were driven by a better driver who got closer to the limit of available grip and/or drove in more ideal weather conditions. Hot weather laps for me are over 3% slower than optimal weather laps with everything else being equal at MSRH in my SS 1LE. That % is probably higher on the ZL1 1LE because of the supercharger.

Now if you are holding back from driving faster in the ZL1 1LE because it is an expensive car and you are worried about losing control and crashing, maybe you will be more confident driving an SS 1LE but that is still not a cheap or slow car.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:40 PM   #28
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
PTM Race and PTM Sport 2 are specifically designed to get as close as possible to a pro driver's exit speeds with traction and stability control fully off and all you have to do is mash the throttle to 100% as soon as you reach the apex and let the car do the rest.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e9RVZkjZkek

Your skill level will be the same if you switch to an SS 1LE and you will be slower than you were in your ZL1 1LE. SS 1LEs with faster lap times than ZL1 1LEs in the Best Track Times thread were driven by a better driver who got closer to the limit of available grip and/or drove in more ideal weather conditions. Hot weather laps for me are over 3% slower than optimal weather laps with everything else being equal at MSRH in my SS 1LE. That % is probably higher on the ZL1 1LE because of the supercharger.

Now if you are holding back from driving faster in the ZL1 1LE because it is an expensive car and you are worried about losing control and crashing, maybe you will be more confident driving an SS 1LE but that is still not a cheap or slow car.
PTM race is very very quick...until it isn't. I used it until it really started to hold me back and can lap quite a bit quicker with all nannies off. I have some fun data that shows throttle and speed data from it in and off.

Ken