Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #15
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Clean with isopropyl alcohol, sand with high grit sandpaper, spray with adhesion promoter and then satin black, you should be fine.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #16
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
Clean with isopropyl alcohol, sand with high grit sandpaper, spray with adhesion promoter and then satin black, you should be fine.
That seems to be my plan minus the heavy sanding, I dont want to lose the texture on the louvers.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #17
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
That seems to be my plan minus the heavy sanding, I dont want to lose the texture on the louvers.
If you are going to paint them, you have to, no option. Paint will not adhere to plastic if it is textured like that. You must sand it down completely and get it all 100% (don't miss any corner or edge) or in a month or two it will peel right off.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
If you are going to paint them, you have to, no option. Paint will not adhere to plastic if it is textured like that. You must sand it down completely and get it all 100% (don't miss any corner or edge) or in a month or two it will peel right off.
Even if I use an adhesion promoter? Maybe im way off here but I kind of figured the texture would give the paint something to grab on to lol

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Old 09-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nation Videos View Post
She looks good bro. I got the same color.
Many thanks sir!! One of the reasons I bought it was the color.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #20
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
im thinking i might need louvers on my car soon...
Go getcha some, they look awesome!! I have had more compliments on them at the shows than I ever expected to get, and they have been on quite a while. Don't over think it. lol. Plus it will keep your rear deck area WAY cooler in the sun..
Old 09-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #21
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
im thinking i might need louvers on my car soon...
DO IT! JOIN THE MOVEMENT lol

Old 09-22-2021, 02:23 AM   #22
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Even if I use an adhesion promoter? Maybe im way off here but I kind of figured the texture would give the paint something to grab on to lol
Completely opposite I'm afraid. The texture actually prevents the paint from sticking. Due to the natural thickness of paint, the paint will only adhere to the ridges of the texture, it won't flow completely down and adhere to the crevices. This creates a weak point in the paint which will eventually crack and peel off away from the crevices.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:29 AM   #23
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
Quote:

I don't think you have to sand completely down. I did a textured diffuser and used adhesion promoter, primer, paint and clear. Came out great and no issues.
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote