Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Paint removal

Has anyone removed the paint on their carbon fiber hood cap? Do you think it could be done cheaper than buying another?
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I thought it was wrapped
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Has anyone removed the paint on their carbon fiber hood cap? Do you think it could be done cheaper than buying another?
gave my view in gtfoxy's thread

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
It was my understanding that the painted ones were flawed in some way. The carbon underneath may not be perfect. It'll also probably be missing the special clear coat put on the carbon ones.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Like was already posted, from what I recall in the 5th Gen days, only the "perfect" inserts were left unpainted. Angles and straightness were the reasons that stand out in my memory. Sure - you could probably sand-off the paint, but I suspect you'd have to spend timing sanding and clear coating the insert, assuming you have a good one. I know that the ECF-inserts get polish because there's still residue on mine that is visible.

If remember an article when C6 ZR1s were first introduced with ECF, and there were at least a couple articles stating GM said they spent $60K a gallon on UV-resistant clear coat for those parts so leaving them in the sun wouldn't degrade the CF. I think there was probably a decimal mis-placement, but, still, that is a problem, so protecting that freshly sanded, clear-coated, and polished insert should be the minimum considerations.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Just buy another or try to trade someone. Getting the paint off and trying to get the exposed look is too much work, money and potentially damaging to the carbon fiber.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Obviously I’m wrong here. I could have sworn I saw a thread on somebody taking a wrap off one. My apologies to the OP for the misinformation.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
You asked a similar question in the other thread. My answer: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=46

TL/DR: Don't do it. It will almost certainly look like crap, resulting in trashing an otherwise perfectly good part. It's WAY less trouble to buy a new exposed CF part. Or just wrap the one you have if you're just changing colors.

Cheapest route is likely buy used from Ebay for $500 and throw a couple hundred more at a good body shop clean it up for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144067941001
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Like was already posted, from what I recall in the 5th Gen days, only the "perfect" inserts were left unpainted. Angles and straightness were the reasons that stand out in my memory. Sure - you could probably sand-off the paint, but I suspect you'd have to spend timing sanding and clear coating the insert, assuming you have a good one. I know that the ECF-inserts get polish because there's still residue on mine that is visible.

If remember an article when C6 ZR1s were first introduced with ECF, and there were at least a couple articles stating GM said they spent $60K a gallon on UV-resistant clear coat for those parts so leaving them in the sun wouldn't degrade the CF. I think there was probably a decimal mis-placement, but, still, that is a problem, so protecting that freshly sanded, clear-coated, and polished insert should be the minimum considerations.
Doing some research gave truth to your post. Good info.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Obviously I’m wrong here. I could have sworn I saw a thread on somebody taking a wrap off one. My apologies to the OP for the misinformation.

That's the hood itself on the ZLEs not the center insert portion.