Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Marty Z

Drives: 2015 Bright Yellow 2LS
idatalink maestro dash kit - Installed

After a day and a half of Hard Labor, I finally got the new KIT-CAM1, Kenwood DDX9705S, and 2 cameras installed. So here are my impressions.

First off, here is what you will need:
1) Head Unit of your choosing
2) idatalink maestro KIT-CAM1
3) idatalink maestro RR
4) Metra 40-EU55 powered antenna adapter (ADS says to use the 40-EU10 in their youtube video, which is un-powered. It will work but the FM reception won't be as good)
5) Any cables you might need from HU to the ports on the bottom. My Kenwwod came with 2 USB extension, but I had to buy the RCA-to-RCA cable for the AUX.

Putting together the wiring harness was pretty simple, it was color to color, no guessing. Everything soldered and heat shrunk, and entire t-harness is rolled in Tesa tape end-to-end. The bulk of the time was spent snaking wires for the 2 cameras, that was a major PITA.

But everything looks great, and works great. There is one minor software bug in the RR though, and I already notified ADS about it. When in the climate control, when scrolling thru the vent position options. Sometimes when you get on the option for feet/front defrost, it gets stuck there, and you can't get off it. But for now, you can fix it by killing power to the RR but either unplugging it or pulling the radio fuse. Hopefully it gets fixed before the winter when I will need to use that option.

Let me know if you have any questions. Photos below, but I appologize for the sun glare

Stereo off

Stereo on

Gauges

Vehicle info

Climate control

Rear view camera

Front view camera

Marty Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
idatalink maestro dash kit - Installed

Looks pretty good! I really like how it’s not recessed into the dash
When you press the button next to the hazards, does that bring up the climate controls screen?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Marty Z

Each button, except the center, has 2 functions. The first button brings up climate control screen. The button to the right of the hazard lets you adjust fan speed without going to the climate control screen. I will take a better picture of the buttons once the sun goes down
Old 06-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
kruzinn

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Hey Marty, I'll be in a climate where it will be close to 90 degrees out, so does the vent position work where you can use AC on your face, don't really care about the feet or defrost, for now anyway.
kruzinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
Marty Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzinn View Post
Hey Marty, I'll be in a climate where it will be close to 90 degrees out, so does the vent position work where you can use AC on your face, don't really care about the feet or defrost, for now anyway.
Yes, it does. As long as you don't put it in that position, you are good.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Marty Z

Here is a closeup of the button bar
Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Z View Post
Here is a closeup of the button bar

Very cool.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Thanks for the installation details

I’ve been hoping someone would come up with a winner. Could this be it? Or am I going to only think of this when I adjust climate control, radio, engine controls, etc.?
Or was the design on purpose to speak to our dark side?
Does it have this look in real life or does it flow with the dash? Says silver but it looks goldish, I am assuming this is due to sun glare.
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 AM   #9
Marty Z

It's dark gray
Old 06-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
kruzinn

Quote:
It's dark gray
I called them and they said they have fixed the issues- I was like, well this literally happened yesterday, lol.
They said that there is a full refund or exchange if anything goes wrong, sort of like Best Buy. Problem is, it takes hours to do that job.

I think this one by far is the cleanest, modern one that's out there.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
Marty Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzinn View Post
I called them and they said they have fixed the issues- I was like, well this literally happened yesterday, lol.
They said that there is a full refund or exchange if anything goes wrong, sort of like Best Buy. Problem is, it takes hours to do that job.

I think this one by far is the cleanest, modern one that's out there.
They said they fixed the climate control issue? I am on there forum now and they told me they are looking into it. The climate control issue would not need a refund, just a software update.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
Marty Z

Just got a PM from ADS, HVAC fix is in the works.

There is another issue where front camera display turns on randomly, they are fixing that also.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
Marty Z

Ok, so they fixed the climate control issue. Just make sure when you flash your RR you are getting ver 1.2 or later. Ver 1.1 is the one with bad climate control.

they stated that the camera issue is also fixed but I will only be able to test that later today, when i'm driving around.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
kruzinn

Quote:
Ok, so they fixed the climate control issue. Just make sure when you flash your RR you are getting ver 1.2 or later. Ver 1.1 is the one with bad climate control.

they stated that the camera issue is also fixed but I will only be able to test that later today, when i'm driving around.
Will they have the 1.2 on their website to order now? Are you loving it now thats its dialled in? One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is make the stock BA system sound a bit better, will the Kenwood unit help with improved sound? I know it has a better amp in it than stock.
Thanks Marty!