Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #43
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
did you test drive a SS? after all the sound deadening you plan on doing it it probably will be just as quiet. Dont get the dual mode exhaust. You also might want to check out the Cadillac CTS same car as the camaro just more sound deadening.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #44
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Drives: Volt gen2, Colorado V6, soonCamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i noticed no difference after removing the sound tube. if you are going to get a Camaro id get a SS not a v6. Or test drive an Impala V6. with alot of heavy sound deadening the car should be quiet but you probably already know unless you do it yourself its going to cost thousands to gut the car.
Well now, that's disappointing. I'm surprised they went to the trouble of adding the tube if it has so little effect.

Quote:
You also might want to check out the Cadillac CTS same car as the camaro just more sound deadening.
I understand the ATS is the closer match to the Camaro, though both the ATS and CTS are built on the Alpha platform. I've test driven an ATS and with upgraded sway bars and springs it should be plenty good. If I'm lucky I can find a RWD one with MRC FE3 suspension.

Thanks for the replies, that would have sucked to remove the sound tube and find out it doesn't do anything.
AlphaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #45
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

I noticed a very large difference in the interior noise when I plugged (then later removed) the sound tube.
It was not subtle or minor and I even unplugged the tube again to see if the improvement was real (it was).
It took away an annoying high pitched raspy sound and even reduced what I had thought was just road noise.

I do not have the dual mode exhaust however.
With that it may be possible that when you rev it up the exhaust overpowers any improvement removing the noise tube would make.

I later added quite a bit of sound padding to my car and it all helps.

But if you are that sensitive to noise, Camaros are probably not for you.
I just spent all of last week driving around in a rented Challenger, and all of the week before that in a rented Camaro.
The Challenger was way, way quieter inside than any gen5/gen6 Camaro I have driven (including the one I own).
So if noise is that much of an issue you might want to consider a Challenger instead, sad to say.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #46
JCunningham

you maybe right DIYguy. i didnt keep the sound tube long and kept it in sport so ya the exhaust may have covered it up.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 05-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #47
DIYguy

Smile

I know that several people have mentioned that the dual mode exhausts do increase the exhaust sound quite a bit.
And there was a posting on the main section of this forum where someone apparently got a fix-it ticket for "driving around in sport mode".
Ummm.......
That seems over the top harsh on the part of the officer.
And it remains to be seen if such a thing will stand up in traffic court because the car was reportedly not modified in any manner.
But it might be an indication of the level of increase in noise when in sport mode.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #48
JCunningham

yes it is much louder when open. I have headers and flowmaster NPP so now its great. Just slightly too loud for me so im going to see if I can fit 2 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/xfo-ct04-14s
Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #49
DIYguy

Smile

Those look interesting.
Please let us know how well they work.

Another thought that occurs to me is that if AlphaDream is accustomed to driving a Volt, anything is going to seem loud.
The ATS/CTS might be better prospects.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #50
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
Those look interesting.
Please let us know how well they work.

Another thought that occurs to me is that if AlphaDream is accustomed to driving a Volt, anything is going to seem loud.
The ATS/CTS might be better prospects.
I should have added that I also have a Colorado with the LFX V6. Engine noise in my Colorado is fine for me and I do find myself revving it out just to hear it sing. If the Camaro's engine sound with the sound tube deleted is similar to that of my Colorado then all would be well.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #51
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
I noticed a very large difference in the interior noise when I plugged (then later removed) the sound tube.
It was not subtle or minor and I even unplugged the tube again to see if the improvement was real (it was).
It took away an annoying high pitched raspy sound and even reduced what I had thought was just road noise.

I do not have the dual mode exhaust however.
With that it may be possible that when you rev it up the exhaust overpowers any improvement removing the noise tube would make.

I later added quite a bit of sound padding to my car and it all helps.

But if you are that sensitive to noise, Camaros are probably not for you.
I just spent all of last week driving around in a rented Challenger, and all of the week before that in a rented Camaro.
The Challenger was way, way quieter inside than any gen5/gen6 Camaro I have driven (including the one I own).
So if noise is that much of an issue you might want to consider a Challenger instead, sad to say.

It's interesting how much differently individuals perceive sound. From you description it sounds like it's the sound tube that is causing issues for me.

Anyways, since both of you agree that a Camaro probably isn't the car for me I think I'll find something else. I live in a rural area of MI with lots of gloriously twisty back roads so the Challenger isn't an option but an ATS should be pretty good, especially with some sway bars.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #52
DIYguy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDream View Post
If the Camaro's engine sound with the sound tube deleted is similar to that of my Colorado then all would be well.
There is basically no way of knowing other than perhaps to rent a Camaro, buy a rubber stopper and plug the firewall end of the sound tube (just don't tell whoever you rent it from that you did that of course).
Then drive it around for a while.
Using a rubber stopper is actually how I first tested it on mine and I liked it so much that I defeated it permanently.
Rental companies typically rent cars over weekends at lower rates, so that may be an option for you to pursue.

Even so, the Camaro is likely to transmit more noise through the chassis than the Challenger for various reasons, and the road surfaces you have in your area will have a lot to do with what works for you (or not).

As for perception of sound, that varies quite widely from person to person.
I am sensitive to high pitched noises, low pitched rumbles and sharp rattles for example. They drive me crazy.
Removing the sound tube made a huge difference to me without any doubt whatsoever and it will never be put back in.
And so has adding sound padding under the floor, in the doors and in the foot well areas (making it a bit more Cadillac-like I suppose ).
But even after doing all of that, the Challenger I rented last week was still far, far quieter inside than my own Camaro or the one I had rented the week before.

Perhaps if you got the right Challenger it would be good on your winding roads?
I rented a Challenger RT 360 a few years back and it was an absolute blast to drive, especially on winding roads.
But I am a Chevy guy.
And a great friend of mine has an RT 392 TA Challenger that he utterly LOVES.
So....... ?

If you do get an ATS, be careful modifying it.
Adding things like larger sway bars and different tires could make it noisier inside and defeat what you are trying to accomplish.

Last edited by DIYguy; 05-08-2019 at 11:07 AM.
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #53
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Well the Challenger isn't an option for me since I cannot stand retro designs or big lumbering muscle cars. What I love about the Camaro is that it's a proper sports car; small, nimble, and a joy to drive on twisty back roads. I test drove a Mustang and found it to be closer in character to the Camaro than the Challenger, and quieter than the Camaro, but I'm not really interested in a four banger and the V8 is outside my operating budget.

The more I think about it, the ATS seems like a better fit for me. If I can find a RWD ATS with the MRC FE3 suspension then it has most of the Camaro's handling prowess in an NVH optimized package that I can see out of. There's the Cadillac tax but it's not so bad if I go used.

If I rent a Camaro to test it without the sound tube connected then I'll post my findings. Otherwise, thanks for your suggestions everyone!
Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #54
DIYguy

Smile

Well.......
I have been traveling a lot for business lately (unfortunately) and this past week I was able to rent a 2019 SS (V8/A10) with all the goodies, and yes- a sound tube.

I couldn't resist detaching the sound tube where it joins along the driver's side tower brace and plugging it with some very tightly rolled paper napkins.
It took all of two minutes to do.

It made a significant improvement in cabin quietness.
Everything from idle to as high a throttle setting as I dared was quieter.
And just like on my V6, a lot of what I had assumed was road noise was reduced. Noticeably.

So I pulled the paper napkin plug out and connected it back to stock (it was a rental after all).
And the harshness and "road noises" returned.

How many dB improvement did it make?
I don't know, I didn't have a sound level meter (or a phone with an app), but it absolutely did make an improvement.
Note that the rest of the car was absolutely stock and that it did not have the dual mode exhaust.
But it had every other option from the fancy interior and exterior lighting to leather seats to the rear view camera/mirror (which I did NOT like BTW, and so I switched it off).

So yes, it made a difference and if I ever would buy an SS the "intake resonator" (as GM calls it) would be removed the first day I owned it.
Without a shred of doubt or hesitation.

The bigger problem you are going to encounter with the SS is the 20" wheels.
Increased road noise and ride harshness is one of the results of having them over the 18" wheels on the V6 LT cars.
I have no idea what the Cadillacs are fitted with, but beware.

The SS was a hoot to drive all-in-all, but compared to the V6 version I had rented just two weeks earlier, I experienced about a 30% decrease in gas mileage.
Same town, same roads and same overall conditions.
And I did not really drive it any differently to speak of.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #55
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
Old thread I know, but in all the threads about the sound tube, I have to ask, what is it for?

What is it's function?
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #56
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
Old thread I know, but in all the threads about the sound tube, I have to ask, what is it for?

What is it's function?
To direct some of the intake sound into the cabin. These cars are so well insulated that GM felt your driving experience needed to be enhanced with some intake noise. Other car manufacturers do something similar. I had it on my Focus ST.

I removed mine when I installed my CAI plus with my Borla mufflers, I have all the sound I need in the cabin.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote