Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 08-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #1
David campbell

Drives: 1997 camaro conv
key stuck in the lock cylinder now what

problem --my key will not turn into the off postion thus not allowing me to remove the key from the lock cylinder. it will turn the car off and start the car, but i can not get the key out or turn back into the acc location.

solutions that have been tried are
1. installed 2 new lock cylinder with key. cheap one universail from the auto store no improvement, then the next one bought from the dealer... no improvement really. key comes out now with some wiggle wiggle.
2. installed new ignaiton switch... no improvement. new switch made it even harder to remove the key the wiggle wiggle is now barely working.

does anyone AND I MEAN ANYONE know WHY my key will not turn into the off postion,aka not allowing me to remove the key from the lock cylinder. it will turn the car off and start the car, but i can not get the key out or turn back into the acc location. i mean whats left to look into. the steering column actuator? not sure why i can not find info on this problem
David campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
Parts Peddler

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS
If it's an automatic, give the shifter button a few rapid clicks. I have to do that occasionally, and it work every time. If it's a manual, I don't have any suggestions.
Parts Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:00 AM   #3
David campbell

its an automatic. shifter button hmmm really. how is that linked to the lock cylinder?
Old 08-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #4
Parts Peddler

When you shift into park, it sends a signal to the lock cylinder to unlock. You can hear the lock cylinder click if you listen for it.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:44 AM   #5
Jarhead1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro LT
[QUOTE=David campbell;11351930]problem --my key will not turn into the off postion thus not allowing me to remove the key from the lock cylinder. it will turn the car off and start the car, but i can not get the key out or turn back into the acc location.

It's not electrical issue, It's in the post itself. May I ask if you had any attempts at theft? such as someone forcing the locking wheel mech that is still within that gen camaro while it was already locked. If so or the steering box with the post attached was forcibly impacted or by accident collision? If so there are two plastic nylon components damaged that send's signals back to the computer to allow the key to be removed. To help your search download the diagrams of the post it self to give you further clues. Somewhere the same has happened to others and I would do the video search for it. You probably doing that now.

C.J
Jarhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 01:40 PM   #6
Jarhead1
Account Suspended

Key Won't Come out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parts Peddler View Post
When you shift into park, it sends a signal to the lock cylinder to unlock. You can hear the lock cylinder click if you listen for it.
This guy has a very loud exhaust and he is not going to hear Sh......

Last but not least before I leave this subject. if it is auto your Neutral safety switch is located on the shifter mech in the console...If the ac vents overtime have turned the brass into green mold or copper. It will only give you partial connect or none. Remove Very carefully the console as that year has issues with plastic parts. Once it off you should see a switch towards the front of the shifter. Do not attempt this while the car is on as you may short the system. Depending on your type of trans you may have your switches should be X2 for overdrive etc. If your young and stupid you may have had issues with spilled drinks over the console and caused this issue. If you see visible damage to electronic within the console STOP! UNPLUG Battery!!! then proceed. PS: there are a mess of Youtube vids on this very subject. Like the other post said: "If its manual can help buy looking for the safety switch in the rubber boot on top the trans from under neath and the same goes for other model auto's

C.J
Old 08-26-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
Jarhead1
Account Suspended

Possible cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by David campbell View Post
problem --my key will not turn into the off postion thus not allowing me to remove the key from the lock cylinder. it will turn the car off and start the car, but i can not get the key out or turn back into the acc location.

solutions that have been tried are
1. installed 2 new lock cylinder with key. cheap one universail from the auto store no improvement, then the next one bought from the dealer... no improvement really. key comes out now with some wiggle wiggle.
2. installed new ignaiton switch... no improvement. new switch made it even harder to remove the key the wiggle wiggle is now barely working.

does anyone AND I MEAN ANYONE know WHY my key will not turn into the off postion,aka not allowing me to remove the key from the lock cylinder. it will turn the car off and start the car, but i can not get the key out or turn back into the acc location. i mean whats left to look into. the steering column actuator? not sure why i can not find info on this problem
Last but not least before I leave this subject. if it is auto your Neutral safety switch is located on the shifter mech in the console...If the ac vents overtime have turned the brass into green mold or copper. It will only give you partial connect or none. Remove Very carefully the console as that year has issues with plastic parts. Once it off you should see a switch towards the front of the shifter. Do not attempt this while the car is on as you may short the system. Depending on your type of trans you may have your switches should be X2 for overdrive etc. If your young and stupid you may have had issues with spilled drinks over the console and caused this issue. If you see visible damage to electronic within the console STOP! UNPLUG Battery!!! then proceed. PS: there are a mess of Youtube vids on this very subject. Like the other post said: "If its manual can help buy looking for the safety switch in the rubber boot on top the trans from under neath and the same goes for other model auto's

C.J
Old 08-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #8
Parts Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead1 View Post
This guy has a very loud exhaust and he is not going to hear Sh......

C.J
The engine shuts off before the key gets stuck, therefore, he WILL be able to hear the click, smart guy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2023, 06:00 AM   #9
David campbell

i can start and turn off the car no problem.
i can not put the car into its acc location.
it will not line up with the arrow mark on the column.
the key can be removed once the car is off but it requires alot of wiggleing back and forth some time it will come right out after a few wiggles orther times it tacks a mintute or two of wiggling before it comes out
not sure if there has been theft attempts in the past but im not the orginal owner.
the car is an automatic . thanks

below is a post that i made a year ago (orginally) about this issue.in another forum that got me 0 responses.. alot of views tho...

------>>>>I bought the new (cheap o) lock cylinders and installed it. I noticed the new cylinder was lining up in the exact same position as the old one. (off-center) (refer to first picture) and not allowing me to remove the new key without applying ALOT ALOT OF back force. this should not be the case with a new cylinder. upon a closer look at what was going on, I concluded the following...

the tongue or nipple that resides in the steering column and plugs into the back of the lock cylinder seems bent. see second pic

I finally got the lockcylinder to algin. by using a pair of needle-nose pliers
and rotating this nipple (second picture) backwards. not sure what is happening here or why this corrected the alginment and key removel issue. but all seemed ok after several test start and key lined up and removed as it should I was feeling good.

but two days later I went to town and when I went to remove my key. and i went right back to square one which is a--->>> brand new lock cylinber that wont line up with the lock arrow on my steering column.WTH<<<<-----

Last edited by David campbell; 09-01-2023 at 06:42 AM.