Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
Ailurus2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Factory AFM valves are stuck

For the last week every time I start the car I've been getting the code P069E. Did some research and it has to do with the AFM valves.

Whenever the car is started the car sounds normal but the issue doesn't come up will I start driving. If I'm cruising and the car drops into 4 cylinder mode and closes the AFM valves, they get stuck. Whenever I speed up and get back into 8 cylinder mode the car is whisper quiet. I can redline the car and I barely hear anything because it sounds like the exhaust is completely blocked. This can go on for a while and randomly the pipes will open back up. Ive gone at least 20 mins several times with the valves just stuck closed and if they open up and then close again cruising, they get stuck again.

Some testing I've done is put the car back and forth between track and stealth mode and see the flaps in the exhaust open and close so I know it's def not them. I've also drove the car in manual mode (it's a 2016 A8) and by doing so it keeps the car out of 4 cylinder mode and the flaps won't close at all so they don't get stuck.

What can I do? I've brought it to a mechanic and they tried reprogramming the motors on the mid pipes and it's done nothing.
Ailurus2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Sounds like you could really benefit from an AFM delete kit...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Sounds like you could really benefit from an AFM delete kit...
Agree. I would remove the actuators, bolt on some AFM simulator plates and be done with it.

https://www.phastekperformance.com/A...1310-11030.htm
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Maybe you got some road grit into the valve mechanisms? I'd pull the actuators off and see if I could clean them out. I wouldn't go trying to eliminate this system if I didn't have to. It's presumably there for a reason.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
Maybe you got some road grit into the valve mechanisms? I'd pull the actuators off and see if I could clean them out. I wouldn't go trying to eliminate this system if I didn't have to. It's presumably there for a reason.
I agree with this option. Those valves have a strong spring to return them back to the open position. You could pull the motors off and manually open and close the valves to “feel” the sticking you mentioned. I don’t recall if there was an area at the valves where you could spray a lubricant to eliminate the sticking.

If you choose to go with the simulators, what’s going to happen when there isn’t any back pressure for V4 mode? Idk, but IMO those valves play a valid role in V4 mode. Now if you have HPT you could disable AFM in the tune with the simulators and have no issues.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
It sounds like the valves you're having issues with are mid-way along the exhaust, yes? I'm asking because you talk about exhaust sound levels which could also mean the control valves for NPP.

Either way, they are the same valves/motors. I have a pair of them if you need to replace them. PM me as I could probably get them to you quickly and without heavy duty shipping costs on top of having to replace them valves themselves.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
P069E is the fuel pump control module requesting the check engine light. Are you sure these problems are related?

I do not believe this is an AFM valve problem. If they are getting stuck, the shop would have observed this on the scan tool. These valves are somewhat finicky, they are fairly sensitive to the position they are in. If these were truly getting stuck, you would be throwing a P12XX code (example: P12EF - bank 1 AFM valve stuck closed or P12F0 - bank 2 AFM valve stuck open).
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam765 View Post
P069E is the fuel pump control module requesting the check engine light. Are you sure these problems are related?

I do not believe this is an AFM valve problem. If they are getting stuck, the shop would have observed this on the scan tool. These valves are somewhat finicky, they are fairly sensitive to the position they are in. If these were truly getting stuck, you would be throwing a P12XX code (example: P12EF - bank 1 AFM valve stuck closed or P12F0 - bank 2 AFM valve stuck open).
It is definitely an AFM valve problem, mine threw that code when we removed the AFM valves.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
It is definitely an AFM valve problem, mine threw that code when we removed the AFM valves.
I have seen another post or two on this forum that is similar - AFM's being removed without AFM delete and this code pops. Doesn't mean that it isn't still the fuel pump making the request to light up the CEL...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I have seen another post or two on this forum that is similar - AFM's being removed without AFM delete and this code pops. Doesn't mean that it isn't still the fuel pump making the request to light up the CEL...
Anytime I've ever seen this code from anyone ot ended up being AFM related, never seen it be fuel pump related even though the code is for the pump.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:40 AM   #11
Jon1972s

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
has anyone used a module for AFM delete, plugs in ODB port? https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technol...00BR1R8N8&th=1
Jon1972s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #12
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1972s View Post
has anyone used a module for AFM delete, plugs in ODB port? https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technol...00BR1R8N8&th=1
I used one for my 2019 2SS up until 24k miles and then sold her. Never had an issue and my car has never seen V4 mode ever.

I directly bought it from their website to make I get latest firmware. Buying one from amazon may not get you the latest firmware.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1972s View Post
Yup! I use the Range Technologies AFM disabler and I have no issues with it at all. Love it!

Should work well for OP's issue, but will just mask the existing problem. Get the valves looked at and maybe replaced first.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #14
CadCamMan

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS F1-A-94
Mine did same thing. 2016 2SS. Drenched the valve plate Rod with WD40 and let sit for a while. They will tend to get carbon and other deposits built up in them where they will stick. If they are stuck in a position they are not supposed to be in you will get a code.
CadCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote