Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Sheer76

Drives: 2021 2SS Convertible
Exhaust Mods on NPP

So, this may seem counterintuitive but hear me out.....
I recently got a 2021 Camaro 2SS with the NPP and love the flexibility with the different exhaust notes/modes. That being said, the track mode sounds great but would like more crackling and volume.

Is there anything you guys have done to mod the exhaust to make it louder without forgoing the benefit of NPP? (quieting down in neighborhoods, etc)
Sheer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Removing the secondary cats will do the trick.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer76 View Post
So, this may seem counterintuitive but hear me out.....
I recently got a 2021 Camaro 2SS with the NPP and love the flexibility with the different exhaust notes/modes. That being said, the track mode sounds great but would like more crackling and volume.

Is there anything you guys have done to mod the exhaust to make it louder without forgoing the benefit of NPP? (quieting down in neighborhoods, etc)
Borla, Corsa, Flowmaster, aFe and a few others sell exhaust systems that keep the function.

I’m planning on doing a borla x/mid pipe to a corsa npp muffler to preserve secondary cats and the npp function.

Borla 60607

Corsa 14789
Old 12-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Sheer76

Drives: 2021 2SS Convertible
Thank you both, will look into Borla as well. The secondary cat removal I'm assuming would fail the emissions test during inspection?
Sheer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Thank you both, will look into Borla as well. The secondary cat removal I'm assuming would fail the emissions test during inspection?
I am not sure on that, but I imagine it would.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
Adamone92
Adam Lingenfelter

Drives: From mustang to 2021 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
Borla, Corsa, Flowmaster, aFe and a few others sell exhaust systems that keep the function.

I’m planning on doing a borla x/mid pipe to a corsa npp muffler to preserve secondary cats and the npp function.

Borla 60607

Corsa 14789
Thank you for this
Adamone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:22 AM   #7
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Secondary cats don’t have O2 sensors and they are not being monitored so there won’t be any CEL if you remove them.

Assuming they just hook up to your OBD port for inspection, you won’t fail the inspection.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:22 AM   #8
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
So, if you're ordering a new Camaro for example and plan on installing aftermarket exhaust I guess it's wise to order it without the NPP, save the money and then simply buy your aftermarket exhaust with the savings?

I guess the NPP is good if you're worried about people complaining about noise though but I just see it as a waste of money if you plan on modding anyway.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
So, if you're ordering a new Camaro for example and plan on installing aftermarket exhaust I guess it's wise to order it without the NPP, save the money and then simply buy your aftermarket exhaust with the savings?

I guess the NPP is good if you're worried about people complaining about noise though but I just see it as a waste of money if you plan on modding anyway.

Nahh, NPP is great for the noise control regardless of intent to mod. Valves are extremely useful.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #10
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
I would say that's my favorite option on my car is the NPP. I can drive it in track mode for the volume, and pop it down to snow/ice mode when I want it quiet.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post

Quote:
Nahh, NPP is great for the noise control regardless of intent to mod. Valves are extremely useful.
I see this both ways, and in the end I just prefer having the valves. Worth the extra coin for my preference, but with the advances in exhausts these days from company's like Borla and Corsa you can completely control the volume level with your right foot. No drone, and quiet while you want it to be.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #12
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
The Car I bought did not have the NPP, but it was not a deal breaker anyway. Going full aftermarket and I don't care about being quiet.
Wrecks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I see this both ways, and in the end I just prefer having the valves. Worth the extra coin for my preference, but with the advances in exhausts these days from company's like Borla and Corsa you can completely control the volume level with your right foot. No drone, and quiet while you want it to be.

I agree with that, I'll be doing a Corsa exhaust on my NPP and keeping the valves. those corsa sound phenomenal. Borla too, but i think borla sounds better on a mustang and corsa better on a camaro.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #14
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
I agree with that, I'll be doing a Corsa exhaust on my NPP and keeping the valves. those corsa sound phenomenal. Borla too, but i think borla sounds better on a mustang and corsa better on a camaro.
All comes down to the exhaust tips and which you like better.

I've since hacked my NPP off for a non-valved and couldn't be happier. I either shift to a higher gear around my neighbourhood or put it in neutral and coast. Then again the exhaust isn't that loud under 2k. Initial start up bark is a different issue, but even then the NPP valves are open on start up as well.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote