Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
GM calls their oil AC Delco Dexos. I think that is where the confusion is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
I don’t know where you get your inaccurate information from but I was a technician at a GM dealership for over 18 years and I know this as fact. Don't spread rumors or misinformation that you've read somewhere. Im not here to argue with with people who are trying to tell me something I know as fact. Don't tell me an apple is an orange. Discussion over on my end.
Speaking of inaccurate information...

@GroundhogSS raises a really good point. You had specifically stated "Dexos 1" which I misread to mean the standard "dexos1" (or "dexos2"). My response specifically called out the standard ("dexos1") and not the sort-of brand name ("Dexos 1" - notice the capitalization difference). So, technically, we're both correct because I mis-read what you were writing as it IS quite confusing that GM refers to their oil product in a way to be confusing with the name of the standards, and I suspect that it's at least partly on purpose so that people will think they need to buy the product that GM simply calls "Dexos 1" and not a product that adheres to the STANDARD.

So, honest mistake on my part for saying that what you wrote was inaccurate.

BTW... You dropped your mic.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
UPDATE! I got my OC yesterday and he said they only use Mobile 1 in the Camaros and Corvettes. I forgot to give him the coupon but it still only came out to $51 and some change plus I got a free carwash. When I got home the receipt says 6 qts of oil so the guy who wrote up the ticket didn't know it took 10 qts. Luckily the mechanic knew it to 10 because it was all the way full.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #17
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
UPDATE! I got my OC yesterday and he said they only use Mobile 1 in the Camaros and Corvettes. I forgot to give him the coupon but it still only came out to $51 and some change plus I got a free carwash. When I got home the receipt says 6 qts of oil so the guy who wrote up the ticket didn't know it took 10 qts. Luckily the mechanic knew it to 10 because it was all the way full.
Hope they did everything right... Even doing the oil change myself it still costs me about $100...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #18
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Really? My dealership REFUSES the coupons I get in the mail! They claim the offer is exclusive to vehicles that take <6QTS of oil.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Hope they did everything right... Even doing the oil change myself it still costs me about $100...
How is that expensive? Are you using the 0W-40 dexos2 oil or the 5w-30 dexos1?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #20
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
How is that expensive? Are you using the 0W-40 dexos2 oil or the 5w-30 dexos1?
I use Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula (Dexos 2)... Same as the factory fill...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 07-20-2020, 02:26 AM   #21
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I use Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula (Dexos 2)... Same as the factory fill...

Same here. Just bought a set from speedway motors. 12 x 1 quart bottles + pf64 filter = $114. If I take it to dealer they charge me $170 and they don't even have the right oil. They either use Mobil 1 0w40 European formula or 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen2.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Same here. Just bought a set from speedway motors. 12 x 1 quart bottles + pf64 filter = $114. If I take it to dealer they charge me $170 and they don't even have the right oil. They either use Mobil 1 0w40 European formula or 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen2.
Actually, 5W-30 dexos1 -IS- the right oil, or one of them anyhow.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #23
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
I don’t know where you get your inaccurate information from but I was a technician at a GM dealership for over 18 years and I know this as fact. Don't spread rumors or misinformation that you've read somewhere. Im not here to argue with with people who are trying to tell me something I know as fact. Don't tell me an apple is an orange. Discussion over on my end.
FWIW, he's right. Mobil 1 is a brand name. Dexos is a quality standard.

Any oil refiner can display the Dexos sign on their label if they meet the spec and pay GM for the license.

No one makes Mobil 1 except ExxonMobil.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #24
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Just a couple questions... why buy so many quarts instead of just two 5 gallon jugs and maybe a quart or two extra ? You empty your garbage oil back into the big jugs and then take it to a haz waste place / recycling place. You can't do that with a bunch of tiny quart containers without it being way too tedious.

So what are those black ac delco quarts in the picture ? Hopefully they're not ATF trans fluid or you purchased the wrong stuff (though i guess if it was atf fluid, you'd have more of those than engine oil and not just two).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Just a couple questions... why buy so many quarts instead of just two 5 gallon jugs and maybe a quart or two extra ? You empty your garbage oil back into the big jugs and then take it to a haz waste place / recycling place. You can't do that with a bunch of tiny quart containers without it being way too tedious.

So what are those black ac delco quarts in the picture ? Hopefully they're not ATF trans fluid or you purchased the wrong stuff (though i guess if it was atf fluid, you'd have more of those than engine oil and not just two).
If you're able to dump the oil from the 5qt jugs into a larger holding tank (my recycle center allows this), then you can continue to reuse the 5qt jugs.

The other bottles, I'm guessing, are diff fluid.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #26
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

They don't sell the Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula in 5qt jugs...

The black bottles in my picture are Differential Fluid...

Old 07-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #27
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
This is why I have a extended power train warranty on my car now. Except the mechanic did not know and my car only got 6 quarts and drove it 4 hours to Atlanta before the low oil light came on when I parked it on an incline on my friends driveway. Called the dealership on their mistake and got a certified letter from GM extending the warranty
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #28
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
This is why I have a extended power train warranty on my car now. Except the mechanic did not know and my car only got 6 quarts and drove it 4 hours to Atlanta before the low oil light came on when I parked it on an incline on my friends driveway. Called the dealership on their mistake and got a certified letter from GM extending the warranty
Was that a Chevy dealership mechanic? Because if it was, that is a little eye-opening. You’d think that if any mechanic knew that the Camaro takes 10 qts it would be one that works for the Chevy dealership.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote