The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
raymbarr

Drives: 2014 Laguna Blue Convertible
Cleaning C7 Leather, Metal, and Plastic Dash

What do you folks recommend for cleaning the C7's leather, plastic, and metal dash and door inserts. It's a great combination of all three and a little difficult to separate to clean.

The manual recommends a mild soap and water for the leather. I'm concerned that I drive a lot with the top down so it's getting quite a bit of sun.

I tried one of the leather cleaner wipes I used to use successfully on a previous car with a leather dash and inserts and it left it all streaked on the C7. Looks terrible.

I'm sure the leather has already been treated but even if I try a mild soap and water, what type of soap?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Raym
raymbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Adam's has an interior cleaner that works for most surfaces, including leather vinyl and plastic.

I've never used a "mild soap", but it generally the type of soap you would wash your body with. Dove or something like that. Not something that is designed to cut grease or be anti-bacterial.

TBH, I've always found that canned air and a Swiffer works great for car interiors.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Lexol leather care products are great. ArmorAll is perfect for plastic and metal. All the bright and brushed metal pieces are clear coated. I buff all these materials to an even gloss with a microfiber cloth.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
raymbarr

Drives: 2014 Laguna Blue Convertible
Good suggestions - I had another Corvette owner recommend Adam's as well. I'll look into both of those.

The ArmorAll Leather Wipes completely messed up the leather look. All of the black on the dash and doors are completely streaked and looks terrible. I then used Meguir's interior detail wipes and spray and it repaired it a little but it's still a little streaked and multi-toned-looking now.

The ArmorAll Leather Wipes had worked great in my previous car with leather dash and seats. Not sure what's so different about the Corvette leather but I suppose whatever it's treated with just didn't go well with the ArmorAll Leather Wipes.
raymbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No corvette has leather, it is plasticized leather with a finish, any good multi surface cleaner can be used....303 is a good one. Poorboy's natural look is another....

Read this:
http://303products.com/index.php/pro...motive-leather
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
The only good experience I've had with any brand of leather wipe is on my shoes.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Our Total Interior Detailer fits the bill perfectly for a C7 interior and it's various surfaces!

It's a cleaner and conditioner in one sprayable product. It offers great cleaning capability, as well as some light conditioning. It lays down SPF35 to protect from the sun, has anti-static properties to slow dust build up, and has odor neutralizers in it as well.

You can find it here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-924-a...-detailer.aspx

Video outlining it's use is here:

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
H2OStingray

Drives: 2014 Red/Red Z51 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Our Total Interior Detailer fits the bill perfectly for a C7 interior and it's various surfaces!

It's a cleaner and conditioner in one sprayable product. It offers great cleaning capability, as well as some light conditioning. It lays down SPF35 to protect from the sun, has anti-static properties to slow dust build up, and has odor neutralizers in it as well.

You can find it here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-924-a...-detailer.aspx

Video outlining it's use is here:

Thats what I use works great on the 3LT Adrenaline Red interior
H2OStingray is offline   Reply With Quote