The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Emmdmd

Drives: 2015 Z06
CQuartz Finest

Any opinions out there on CQuartz Finest ceramic paint coating? Is it worth the $$ or are there other do-it-yourself type products that are cheaper and as good?
Emmdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
you can't buy "Finest" by yourself - it is licensed only to detailer tha they train. You can use Gtechnic, 22PLE, Opti Coat 2.0 and other perm coatings that work well. I use them when I know a car will not be washed often and taken care of. They are permenennt coatings and will have to be polished off.

Remember: the key to great long lasting gloss is in the polish stage and needs to be done with an orbital.....the hand cannot get mirror results as it does not move at 1500 rpm. Use any last step you want after polish for great results....

I take care of my stuff and like detailing so I only use polymers that "coat" but allow reapplication. My favorite is Blackfire Crystal seal - no buffing, it wipes on and you are done.... and looks like this for 3 -4 months:

Last edited by Glen e; 12-07-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Emmdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
you can't buy "Finest" by yourself - it is licensed only to detailer tha they train. You can use Gtechnic, 22PLE, Opti Coat 2.0 and other perm coatings that work well. I use them when I know a car will not be washed often and taken care of. They are permenennt coatings and will have to be polished off.

Remember: the key to great long lasting gloss is in the polish stage and needs to be done with an orbital.....the hand cannot get mirror results as it does not move at 1500 rpm. Use any last step you want after polish for great results....

I take care of my stuff and like detailing so I only use polymers that "coat" but allow reapplication. My favorite is Blackfire Crystal seal - no buffing, it wipes on and you are done.... and looks like this for 3 -4 months:
Thanks Glen, car looks great. Exactly what Im looking for. What product do you use to polish? I don't have an orbital, so I guess that will be next on my list...
Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
I have used regular CQuartz several times and it is a great product. It lasts a long time, looks great (as long as the paint is properly prepped) and really sheds dirt. The biggest advantage to various nano coatings is their ability to shed dirt and make cleaning easier. I polish and reapply annually in the Spring even though I don't need to (I just like doing it).

However, I have found 22PLE to be as effective as CQuartz but much less finicky to apply and use. CQuartz needs a bit of technique to get right but 22PLE is a no brainer IMO.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmdmd View Post
Thanks Glen, car looks great. Exactly what Im looking for. What product do you use to polish? I don't have an orbital, so I guess that will be next on my list...
I can send you a detailed ms word doc with the exact procedure....email me at glenersly@mac.com
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Emmdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I have used regular CQuartz several times and it is a great product. It lasts a long time, looks great (as long as the paint is properly prepped) and really sheds dirt. The biggest advantage to various nano coatings is their ability to shed dirt and make cleaning easier. I polish and reapply annually in the Spring even though I don't need to (I just like doing it).

However, I have found 22PLE to be as effective as CQuartz but much less finicky to apply and use. CQuartz needs a bit of technique to get right but 22PLE is a no brainer IMO.
Thanks "gthal" for your comments. I would rather have a product I can apply myself, and being that I am not a professional detailer (or anything close to one!), a product that is less technique sensitive suits me just fine…..