The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
EV's are cool in the fact that they have instant power. Literally as hard as you press the pedal is as much power as it gets. However, NOTHING will beat the sound of a healthy cammed V8 in my book. The sound is a large part of the experience to me and having a Tesla just misses out on that aspect.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #16
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
A car is more than just how fast it goes. The sound, feel and styling all go along with it IMO. Teslas are just appliances. Fast appliances, but appliances no less.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #17
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
A car is more than just how fast it goes. The sound, feel and styling all go along with it IMO. Teslas are just appliances. Fast appliances, but appliances no less.
I like to think of them as high performance golf carts. Unfortunately there’s no good way to stick your leg out the side when you drive one.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
EV's are cool in the fact that they have instant power. Literally as hard as you press the pedal is as much power as it gets.
And that's exactly the flavor of kool-aid that car mfrs are serving up to get enthusiasts on board with EVs in general.

The more I read about regenerative braking (present in all EVs as far as I know), the less I like the idea of having to deal with it.

No, I'm not a Tesla guy either, or an EV guy for that matter. Never mind an EV SUV that proudly boasts "elevated seating" (pretty much opposite to the way I want to sit while driving or riding).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-22-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #19
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
If I needed to be the fastest jamoke in the neighborhood I'd purchase a Suzuki Hayabusa. 0-60 in 2.6 sec, 250 mph top speed. Yes, just what I need. I'm pretty undisciplined already with my Z. I would probably kill myself twice on a super bike. The Tesla is a nice techno gimmick for certain individuals but I'm of the same opinion as mentioned by others here. It's not about being the fastest, it's the total high performance experience of flogging my Z or any other big engine vehicle.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #20
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
A Tesla has no soul, it's just an appliance.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #21
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
my Son has one ( type S I think - it has Ludicrous Mode). I haven't driven it as he lives 2500 miles away
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #22
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
im with most of you here. I have a buddy that bought his wife a model 3. its the dual motor long range version. I hate the front end, not having a grill really kills the looks. The side profile isnt to bad. the interior is pretty cool, not having the traditional cluster and just a big Ipad in the center took a bit to get used to.

What really is amazing to me is the technology that was put into it. Now, let me say, I am NOT a tech savvy person, but it was pretty impressive, selfdrive mode is wild.

The power is impressive, having all the TQ instant really made it feel extremely fast/quick. The reality is, i didnt feel like it was any faster than my SS.

I still could never consider purchasing one thought. He was at $60k every option, white with white interior, upgraded wheels, etc. $60k for a tesla or a C8.....
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #23
Machh5
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Tesla has a sound kit available, its a deck of cards and a box of cloths pins.
Machh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #24
Centauri

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I love my SS, but I would trade for a Model 3 in a nano second if I didn’t have 2 kids in college. There is a lot of misinformation above. I suggest anyone interested do what I did - rent one on Turo for a couple days. I rented the standard model, and on highway ramps or red lights it faster than a stock SS. Ultra smooth ride, and if you charge it at home, basically free energy. 200 mile range on the standard model even with me having a lot of fun.

These cars are the future - because they are better.
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #25
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I love my SS, but I would trade for a Model 3 in a nano second if I didn’t have 2 kids in college. There is a lot of misinformation above. I suggest anyone interested do what I did - rent one on Turo for a couple days. I rented the standard model, and on highway ramps or red lights it faster than a stock SS. Ultra smooth ride, and if you charge it at home, basically free energy. 200 mile range on the standard model even with me having a lot of fun.

I don't know how you can compare the timeless styling of a 5th gen Camaro to a bubble car. The Model 3 has no styling at all. At least the Model S has some styling, if just a little bit.

The Model 3 is a small 4 door bubble sedan with a short hood and even shorter hatchback style trunk. It's basically a jelly bean. It's fast for what it is, but that's it. A 4 door aerodynamic bubble appliance that accelerates quick to get you to work on time.

I don't know about the basically free energy part. AFAIK, you still have to pay for the electricity that it takes to charge it at your home. The EV subsidies are not going to last forever.

Last edited by mikeman; 09-23-2020 at 12:47 AM.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Better for what? Pulling a fifthwheel? Going on vacation?

Electronics get dated too fast and battery pack replacements cost too much. EVs may end up disposable cars where you drive the piss out them and throw them away, but then what do you do with the 80 bazillion fktons of batteries? I can't even get a plastic straw on the turnpike, but we are going manage the disposal of all the EV batteries for cars, trucks, driverless delivery vehicles, forklifts, or even a bull dozer. Can't wait to see that.

They certainly have their place, particularly for fleet vehicles and commuters, but it will be a tough sell to the gear head crowd. Can you see a 5900# model S trying to negotiate Sebring. I'm sure there is probably someone who does it, but Musk needs to deliver his million mile battery before they get out of novelty status.

I work at home, so I have zero commute (the real wave of the future). Most of the family miles get put on a 2500HD that will pull the Cybertruck down the street on it's roof.

God Bless Murica and the right to choose.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Better for some people, sure.

Not better for everybody because they don't "fit" what everybody wants in a car equally well. Or at all, in some cases.

Norm
Old 09-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #28
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
if you charge it at home, basically free energy.

No Such thing as Free Energy. You Pay for it and you will get Taxed yearly since you won't pay Gas Tax

Uh, NO they aren't
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote