The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #29
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
Thanks for clarifying, I wonder if they can then make a package with extra power or a unique engine to compete with Mach1/GT350. Just to generate excitement like Ford is doing. I liked the 5th spring edition, it at least had a body kit and unique wheels among other things.
Mach I is Ford's answer to SS 1LE. There is no need to answer an answer. Now, another model to regenerate interest would be another thing altogether. Would be nice, but don't hold your breathe. SS 1LE is getting the 10AT, so there's that, but don't get all excited about anything else popping up.

Definitely do not look for a unique engine. Way too much money for too few sales.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #30
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
IMHO, GM screwed up when they created the Gen 6 Camaro and (in terms of aesthetics) it was nothing more than a Gen 5 Camaro +.5. The 5th Gen was such a hit that the GM "Powers that Be" made the decision to improve that specific platform. If you look at the cars side-by-side, they are eerily similar. Sure, GM implemented the LT1 and lightened the platform, but consumers want to see an entirely new car (many studies have been completed on this topic).

The 6th Gen was essentially a Gen 5.5 for ~$8-12k more. It turned people off and the sales have suffered. You couple that with a lack of commercial implementation and you lose.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:03 PM   #31
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Mach I is Ford's answer to SS 1LE. There is no need to answer an answer. Now, another model to regenerate interest would be another thing altogether. Would be nice, but don't hold your breathe. SS 1LE is getting the 10AT, so there's that, but don't get all excited about anything else popping up.

Definitely do not look for a unique engine. Way too much money for too few sales.
I mostly agree, GM nailed the SS 1LE and with the Alpha chassis, Ford is having a hard time keeping up.

HOWEVER, I see a few places GM could have improved the SS 1LE as a performance refresh...

1.) Put the solid rear cradle bushing from the ZL1 1LE as standard

2.) Move to a DCT tranny instead of the 10 speed Auto

3.) Update the calibrations on the MRC to be even quicker reacting. Not stiffer, but quicker reacting like with a faster processor.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:28 AM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I mostly agree, GM nailed the SS 1LE and with the Alpha chassis, Ford is having a hard time keeping up.

HOWEVER, I see a few places GM could have improved the SS 1LE as a performance refresh...

1.) Put the solid rear cradle bushing from the ZL1 1LE as standard

2.) Move to a DCT tranny instead of the 10 speed Auto

3.) Update the calibrations on the MRC to be even quicker reacting. Not stiffer, but quicker reacting like with a faster processor.
Of the things on your list, #3 is most likely to happen. GM is continually improving MRC calibrations. I'll be wearing a parka while slurping ice cream in the suburbs of Hades before #2 happens. #1 could happen, but I doubt it seriously.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 06-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #33
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Of the things on your list, #3 is most likely to happen. GM is continually improving MRC calibrations. I'll be wearing a parka while slurping ice cream in the suburbs of Hades before #2 happens. #1 could happen, but I doubt it seriously.
Yeah, I agree. those are my wish lists though and places where they could have gone.

Regarding the MRC calibrations, I think the calibration and damping curves are perfect already, they keep the body fully in control. I would just like to see it happen quicker.

If you have ever driven on a high quality coilover, like a Ohlin, it just feels soooo good. The rebound stability happens so fast, it is an awesome feeling. The MRC does a great job, but there definitely is a difference in the conviction of how a high-end coilover responses to how MRC responds.

It would be awesome if they could tune the MRC to do its business quicker to feel like a high-end coilover.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #34
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
IMHO, GM screwed up when they created the Gen 6 Camaro and (in terms of aesthetics) it was nothing more than a Gen 5 Camaro +.5. The 5th Gen was such a hit that the GM "Powers that Be" made the decision to improve that specific platform. If you look at the cars side-by-side, they are eerily similar. Sure, GM implemented the LT1 and lightened the platform, but consumers want to see an entirely new car (many studies have been completed on this topic).

The 6th Gen was essentially a Gen 5.5 for ~$8-12k more. It turned people off and the sales have suffered. You couple that with a lack of commercial implementation and you lose.
Confused. Part of your statement makes it sound like you do realize the 5th gen and 6th gen are completely different, but then you go on to say "Sure, GM implemented the LT1 and lightened the platform". No...it's much more than that, the 6th gen is completely different/new in every way.

If all you are saying is, the 6th gen *looks* too similar to the 5th gen, well I guess I can't disagree with that. They look similar, but I still think my 2016 looks amazing. I had a 5th gen before that.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #35
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I believe pricing on the Mach 1 is supposed to be in the $48-50k range - a few thousand above the Bullitt.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #36
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I really like the looks of the new Mach. The biggest let down for me is the lack of the shaker hood. Other than that if I was in the market right now I'd buy one. Especially if the pricing is in the high 40's and no b.s dealer mark-ups.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #37
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Confused. Part of your statement makes it sound like you do realize the 5th gen and 6th gen are completely different, but then you go on to say "Sure, GM implemented the LT1 and lightened the platform". No...it's much more than that, the 6th gen is completely different/new in every way.

If all you are saying is, the 6th gen *looks* too similar to the 5th gen, well I guess I can't disagree with that. They look similar, but I still think my 2016 looks amazing. I had a 5th gen before that.
That is exactly what I said. The cars look extremely similar. GM knew that they had a hit with the 5th Gen and instead of engineering an entirely new vehicle (in terms of appearance), they created the 6th Gen which is a 5th Gen on steroids, IMHO. They look very similar from the exterior, but the drivetrain and interior were both improved 10-fold and for the people that are not car nuts, they were wondering why the 16+ Camaro cost $8-12k more than the outgoing model. I personally believe that this was a large problem with the horrendous sales of the car. Just my $.02.

When a new generation of vehicle is released, people expect something that looks completely different than the outgoing generation. Gen's 1-5 of the Camaro were all aesthetic departures from the previous. It is what it is.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:28 AM   #38
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:

I was thinking more for the 7th gen, wonder what kind of 'special' models they can introduce for the Camaro.

I gladly accept and enjoy your input and will believe you when you say not to expect a unique engine, haha. I want to you ask if you think the 7th gen is going to even be a thing or not if you don't mind.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #39
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
It would be really cool if the new 5.5L flat plane crank V8 fit in the engine bay for a new age Z/28 or A ZLE track car
Apparently it sounds like a Ferrari and is higher revving? Not sure if it will fit well with the Camaro platform.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #40
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Sorry but another spring edition Camaro? In my opinion, if gm is going to stay relevant, it's gonna take way more than that. But I think the ship has done sailed to be honest. Short of a complete redesign and different marketing plan across the board (including something other than some transformers movie) they're pretty much done for.
I agree, that's why I was inquiring about potential special models for the 7th gen. What kind of old school Camaro special editions can be made into modern form like how the Mustang has it? Or they simple don't exist in the Camaro world?

The spring edition was at least better than some of the cosmetic packages available on the 6th gen now.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #41
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I agree, that's why I was inquiring about potential special models for the 7th gen. What kind of old school Camaro special editions can be made into modern form like how the Mustang has it? Or they simple don't exist in the Camaro world?

The spring edition was at least better than some of the cosmetic packages available on the 6th gen now.

They need to bring back the Valerie Bertinelli edition

(Yes I know it was called the Berlinetta)
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #42
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
I was thinking more for the 7th gen, wonder what kind of 'special' models they can introduce for the Camaro.

I gladly accept and enjoy your input and will believe you when you say not to expect a unique engine, haha. I want to you ask if you think the 7th gen is going to even be a thing or not if you don't mind.
Got it. I misunderstood that. 7th gen will likely be radically different. Not a lot I can say about that and absolutely no indication of what special models might spring from the base car. Way too early to get that type of info. Like, maybe two years early.