The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance - break-in, fluids, parts, servicing, etc.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Vette Pax

Drives: 1999 C5; 2016 C7 Stingray
Factory Oil No Longer Mobil 1??

I took our 2016 Stingray in for the first oil change this morning to a local Chevy dealer which was recommended. When I spoke last week with the service rep who is the Corvette guy, I asked him if the oil change would be with Mobil 1-he said "yes" and that it would be free. So, when we rolled in, I spoke with the mechanic, telling him this is first oil change and I was told it would be with Mobil 1. He didn't say anything. Well, when they called us to the cashier, the bill was $70 because in their terms "I had asked for an oil upgrade to Mobil 1." I was telling her that such was not explained to me & one of the other service managers butted in and told me that the 2016s no longer come with Mobil 1, only approved Dexos synthetic and that Mobil 1 IS an upgrade. I told them about my prior conversation with the Corvette service manager and the cashier called him. She then told me that there would be no charge for that oil change. Kudos to the Corvette service manager for standing by what he told me.

I did an internet search but could not find any verification that the factory no longer uses Mobil 1. Does anyone know for sure if the factory no longer uses Mobil 1? And, is there really a factory service bulletin telling dealers which oil to use for 2016 Corvettes? (ours is a LT1)

[And, yes, I know that the manual only recommends Mobil 1.]
Vette Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #2
Joe Stingray
Master of All Things

Drives: 2019 Stingray 2LT
The bulletin was put out last year.....and it covered 14 and 15's.....but that was issued in 14, and there hasn't been an UPDATE, although the practice hasn't changed at the factory.....the documentation hasn't been updated. IF your dealer has his head on straight, he will continue to put Mobil1 in at your request, and NO COST. if not, I would change dealers till you find one that does.

For now, I would go back in early and talk to the Service Manager face to face again and ensure you don't get a surprise at your next oil change....but it very well could be that HE straightened out the cashiers misconception.
Joe Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
My understanding is that dexos, dexos1, and dexos2 are standards or specifications that oils must meet in order to be approved for use in GM vehicles. Mobile 1 5-30 meets those specifications and is an approved product.
See attached list for approved oils. List may have been update since this link was published - http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_...454163.cfm?0,w

I had my 500mile change on my 2016 Z06 yesterday, 8/24, and went into the shop and watched. The dealer used Mobile 1 and said that IS the factory oil.
I also found the following statements in some Corvette articles ----
The Chevrolet Corvette is a high performance machine, both on the street and on the track, a legacy of automotive engineering. Mobil 1 racing and performance oils also represent the best in automotive technical engineering. It’s no wonder these two superstars continue to solidify their partnership with a recent announcement that Mobil 1 would remain the oil of choice in new ‘Vettes. The oil and gas giant recently announced a new lubricants technology agreement with General Motors (GM) for the Chevrolet Corvette, which includes Mobil 1™ motor oil as the factory fill for the upcoming 2015 Corvette Z06 and the current 2014 Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package.
Chevrolet also named Mobil 1 5W-30, which meets or exceed the GM dexos1® specifications, as the recommended service fill for all Corvette models on the street, while 15W-50 is recommended for on-track and high-performance applications.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Just a few months ago in May, GM & Mobile announced the 600,000th Corvette factory-filled with Mobile 1 rolled off the assembly line. In May '14, they announced Mobile 1 will continue to be the factory-fill oil for Corvette, and that it meets Dexos standards. If that had changed for '16 I'm quite sure it would be big news in the automotive world. Mobile 1 is still the factory-fill oil, so I suggest contacting Chevrolet Customer Care, explain the situation, and they should be able to properly educate your dealer, and have them reimburse you as well. Several people on the various forums have had a similar experience as yours, and CCC got things quickly corrected.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Vette Pax

Drives: 1999 C5; 2016 C7 Stingray
Thank You!

purpleRac3r: thank you for the great suggestion! Yes, I knew about the announcement but it only covered '14s & '15s, so that is why I asked. I will contact the Chevy Care Center.
Vette Pax is offline   Reply With Quote