Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 AM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
"This is a free update available to any owner of a Charger or Challenger from 2015 or later model years with either the 5.7-liter 392 Hemi V-8 or the supercharged 6.2-liter V-8. These engines are currently offered in the Scat Pack and Hellcat trims of each sedan and boast power outputs of 485 horsepower and 717 horsepower, respectively."

i would not opt for such a security system. i doubt the thieves are using bricks and screwdrivers as it is. the way around a simple code has probably already been discovered.
Kind of along the lines of what I was thinking.

What we DON'T need is YET ANOTHER piece of technology that frustrates the hell out of owners and can cause problems yet doesn't even slow a thief down. Every time crap like this gets added, owners start doing stupid things like leaving the key fobs in the cars. How many Honda/Acura owners taped an OEM key near the steering column and used an aftermarket, unprogrammed key to start their car? This TOTALLY defeated the security mechanisms and they didn't understand that.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Your Camaro with OnStar has a shutdown feature if your car is stolen. Will completely immobilize your car.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Your Camaro with OnStar has a shutdown feature if your car is stolen. Will completely immobilize your car.
-IF- you pay the monthly ransom... I mean "service fee."
Old 03-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
To be fair, OnStar connects you to real people and at least in my experience, the customer service is pretty good. That, and in case I get into an accident, there is the automatic emergency call which is a selling point for me.

Would definitely be nice for some services on the consumer end to be on a per-use basis, however.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
To be fair, OnStar connects you to real people and at least in my experience, the customer service is pretty good. That, and in case I get into an accident, there is the automatic emergency call which is a selling point for me.

Would definitely be nice for some services on the consumer end to be on a per-use basis, however.
Everyone needs to make their own decision about what certain things are worth. I -hate- subscriptions... it's why I dropped my post-paid cell phone service years ago and don't buy subsidized phone, why I haven't had 'cable' in at least three years, and why I keep dropping the tier of my Netflix service every time they raise the price.

I might be more willing to open the wallet if I could pay once and the rates made sense. I don't need my car monitored 24x7 for crash detection if I drive it 5k miles / year and it spends 4+ months locked in the garage during winter. And before anyone says to cancel during those months, once canceled, I'm not calling them back to turn it on again. lol

Give me a basic "Tracking and Alerting" package that lets me call to have the car disabled if it's stolen, will alert emergency services if I'm in a crash, and lets me remote start/lock/unlock through the app. I -might- be willing to pay $50/year for that if it will cover all of my GM vehicles (since I can only be driving one at a time).
Old 03-26-2021, 02:33 AM   #20
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Everyone needs to make their own decision about what certain things are worth. I -hate- subscriptions... it's why I dropped my post-paid cell phone service years ago and don't buy subsidized phone, why I haven't had 'cable' in at least three years, and why I keep dropping the tier of my Netflix service every time they raise the price.

I might be more willing to open the wallet if I could pay once and the rates made sense. I don't need my car monitored 24x7 for crash detection if I drive it 5k miles / year and it spends 4+ months locked in the garage during winter. And before anyone says to cancel during those months, once canceled, I'm not calling them back to turn it on again. lol

Give me a basic "Tracking and Alerting" package that lets me call to have the car disabled if it's stolen, will alert emergency services if I'm in a crash, and lets me remote start/lock/unlock through the app. I -might- be willing to pay $50/year for that if it will cover all of my GM vehicles (since I can only be driving one at a time).
For certain things, it definitely makes sense to buy outright. Personally, I pay for my smartphone, but subscription model actually can work if you always want the latest and the greatest and/or don't like having a case around it. I use mine for a while so it makes more sense for me to buy it. Same with a car lease(which IMO is pretty much a subscription).

The problem with your logic is that, with anything involving customer service and uncertainty, the people answering the calls have to be available 24/7. Nobody wants to get into an accident on purpose but they can happen, and you never know the if and when. That's also why we have insurance. These people have to get paid regardless of if you use it. Anything that involves people are gonna be a bit more expensive, no way around it.

I will agree that the OnStar phone remote features are not very reasonably priced IMO and that's why I don't have then. I mean, that involves mostly only electronics, not real people and honestly, I can live pretty well without them.

Welp, at least Chevy is giving auto trans Camaro's remote start by default. I was surprised to learn that Mazda runs it off a subscription model. Tsk tsk.

BTW, OnStar allow you to set the subscription on an automatic pause for as long as 6 months. You just have to call them once before the storage to start the pause and they will automatically unpause when your car is out of the garage again.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
For certain things, it definitely makes sense to buy outright. Personally, I pay for my smartphone, but subscription model actually can work if you always want the latest and the greatest and/or don't like having a case around it. I use mine for a while so it makes more sense for me to buy it. Same with a car lease(which IMO is pretty much a subscription).

The problem with your logic is that, with anything involving customer service and uncertainty, the people answering the calls have to be available 24/7. Nobody wants to get into an accident on purpose but they can happen, and you never know the if and when. That's also why we have insurance. These people have to get paid regardless of if you use it. Anything that involves people are gonna be a bit more expensive, no way around it.

I will agree that the OnStar phone remote features are not very reasonably priced IMO and that's why I don't have then. I mean, that involves mostly only electronics, not real people and honestly, I can live pretty well without them.

Welp, at least Chevy is giving auto trans Camaro's remote start by default. I was surprised to learn that Mazda runs it off a subscription model. Tsk tsk.

BTW, OnStar allow you to set the subscription on an automatic pause for as long as 6 months. You just have to call them once before the storage to start the pause and they will automatically unpause when your car is out of the garage again.
I fully understand why vendors want to do everything as a subscription as I am part of it on the vendor side...

The problem is that subscription only as an offering excludes a lot of people that simply can't afford it (I'm talking about -all- subscription service offerings, not just OnStar / Camaro stuff). A blended offering would seemingly make a lot more sense for consumers AND vendors...

Your comments about cell phones reminded me that I always had current iPhones long after I started buying them outright... They hold enough value that you make out FAR better to buy one, run it for six months, sell it, and buy a different one. Android phones are a totally different story.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #22
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
What would be nice (not that I would EVER valet my Camaro) but have the ability to easily limit the car to 30 mph and say 50 HP or so (a true Valet Mode), enough to comfortably get around a parking lot, but more boring to drive than a Yugo...
The Hellcats have had valet mode like this since they came out. I put mine in it whenever i dropped it off at the dealer. I tried driving it that way once and i guarantee it was slower than a Civic, it was hard not to stall it taking off from a stop with any incline. Chevy should take notes from Dodge on alot of things like this, gauges on center display, ADVERTISING...

Quote:
Agree I hate the monthly subscription charges
Old 03-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #23
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
The easiet way to think about it is to see how many people nowadays with any smartphone with a fingerprint scanner still use PIN as their primary security measure. Probably not many, outside of the required password re-type every 3 days or so and on start-up. It's just a lot easier to stick your finger on the scanner than punching in a code every time you want to unlock the phone.

And a fingerprint reader in the car seems like a while other can of worms... Let's just not open that one up.
...until you have this issue

Name:  face-id.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  33.4 KB

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote